MEXICO AND US FENDERS...QUALITY? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

MEXICO AND US FENDERS...QUALITY?

i was on a hotel,a musician in the lobby and the first time i had to changed the speakers and i went to the room where the speakers and sound PARAPERNALIAS (What a term?!?!?!?)....sorry dont remember the term on what room was that.....hahaha....
and i saw a fender strat made in mexico and lil bit of rust on the pickups and dusts on the body parts i thought it was from the hotel but no one has ever tried to fix or done to make the guitar in a good condition... and i think it was already years have been passed and no one knows where this guitar was because i just saw it on the top of the busted speakers and i saw the headstock and thought it was a guitar yet im not wrong.. i did fix the guitar at home and still the pickups are still good and the fret are still good... and then i tried to use that in the lobby and sound is amazing for pop jazz kind of music (And the good thing is no one talk about the guitar.......If you what i mean...)

the question is,does mexico have the same parts like they the US put in the US fender?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 PM

Re: MEXICO AND US FENDERS...QUALITY?

I know a few years back many of the parts were the same. The pickups were different for sure. The jacks, pots smaller parts were the same. Our Fender Rep said basically they take advantage of cheap labor and less environmental restrictions in Mexico as opposed to the US.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:32 PM

That was...interesting to understand.

Short answer:
Obviously not, they are made in different places.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post

Short answer:
But the question was, do they use the same parts?

So surely the answer wasn't obvious.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:47 PM

Same parts?

Yes, they do all have a body, neck, frets, tuners, pickups, trems, pickguard, screws, neck plate, etc.

Same things. Different quality.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE View Post
But the question was, do they use the same parts?

So surely the answer wasn't obvious.

Sorry, i didnt notice that.. well i mean is does MEXICO fenders uses good quality parts like the US fenders uses.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post

Short answer:
because it's impossible to ship parts to different countries, right?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
because it's impossible to ship parts to different countries, right?
..... especially adjacent ones?

As far as I understand it, only the pickups are different. The bodies can (but don't always) contain more bits of wood, the necks are one fret shorter.

I doubt the QC is all that consistent, but I've yet to pick up a total lemon MIM. Hell, even Squiers are generally OK.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Reviews: 2

OK, let's talk. Short man (rotten kid) has an '03 or so Mexican splattercaster - totally stock, I've got a late 80s Indonesian Squier strat with electronics, tuners and trem replaced, and short man and I spend shirtloads of time in the shop where he learns to make magic sounds come out of an amp - and it's a Fender dealer. Addressing only fit, finish and the like, there is no difference that he, I OR the store folks can tell between the Squier (which is a very heavy, very beautiful instrument that plays like a dream), the Mexican strat, and the MIA Strats the shop sells that age doesn't explain. $250 worth of electronics, trem and tuners aside, the differences among the MIA strats in the store are as big as the differences between them and the two strats we have. 'course I've not pulled any except the Squier apart, so there may ceratinly be differences that aren't obvious hidden somewhere under paint, etc., but the real differences are the parts as far as we can tell.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:22 AM

Reviews: 65

No matter where they come from or how expensive/cheap they are:
Some Fenders will have a sucky quality and some will shine.

I had an absolutely stunning Mexican Strat, I just replaced the pups with something useful and it was a stunner. My pal has a Mexican where the neckpocket alone would make me cry and the frets look like gardenwire.

My oldest Strat is an American Std. from 98. Excellent thing (now in posession of my brother) and still plays like a dream. I have seen several Am. Std Strats in my pals shop that I recommended him to send back to the distributor as neckpockets, neck twists and obvious pickup problems they had. He now tends to let me test them before he puts em up for sale or sends em back if they suck (Thankfully the distributor is until now OK with his returns...).

Bottomline: You should always test and play before you buy.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 02:27 PM

Higher end mexican fenders are just as good as the american standard series. To test my statement try out a road worn strat, a Baja tele, or the classic '50s strats and teles. These guitars are often times better set up also...

remember you can have a fender made in mexico by mexicans, or made in corona by mexicans. the factorys aren't even 200 miles away from one another.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:40 PM

Reviews: 1

This should clear things up.

http://reviews.photoweborama.com/all...our/index.html

About 4 screens in you'll see contruction of electric guitars - you'll find all your answers.

~j
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
This should clear things up.

http://reviews.photoweborama.com/all...our/index.html

About 4 screens in you'll see contruction of electric guitars - you'll find all your answers.

~j
Awesome article. I think its the first time I've seen the inside of the factory. too bad they don't mention the origin of the woods they use...

Anyway its good to be able to see where the guitar is "born".
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

i was looking at a mexican strat the other day.the guy wants 250 for it,its h-s-s but what putting me off is the pickups will be crap i would have thought so anyways.im looking for a guitar with a nice clean sound for strumming ect.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:11 AM

I love my mexican strats.... once they meet my old buddy Seymour Duncan.

Tags
fender

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode