mFinaly in a position to buy and it's a nightmare! Jems, UVs, RGs, J customs?! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

mFinaly in a position to buy and it's a nightmare! Jems, UVs, RGs, J customs?!

I've been posting here and there trying to narrow down my search and so far you've all been a really helpfull bunch, so big thanks all round.

Finaly I'm in the position to shell out big bucks, having a decent job at last.
I've previously owned 550's and 1570's with pafs, evo's, tone zones and d sonics, all of which i loved but now I'm looking to buy something a little more special.

Initialy I thought to by a UV, love the tone and the flatness of the neck, 7 strings confused me a little at first mind.
Then there is the Jem 77v, gorgeous looking, love what i hear about the breeds but haven't had a chance to play it.
And finaly there is the RG8320 J Custom and the prestige RG3270.
I play shred, fusion, metal and love thin and super flat necks, pafs have been my fave pup of choice so far.

So here's everyones chance to have their pennys worth about all these different models, and hopefully in a couple of weeks i'll have some pics to show off to you all of my new guitar.

Cheers everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Re: mFinaly in a position to buy and it's a nightmare! Jems, UVs, RGs, J customs?!

IMO anything with breeds is cool....
so, buy whatever you want and put breeds in it
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Re: mFinaly in a position to buy and it's a nightmare! Jems, UVs, RGs, J customs?!

Haha, they are lovely pups, not played em myself unfortunately but have heard em and I like muchly.
Little more input needed tho lol.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 04:57 PM

Wow, I thought most guitarists have their next "I can't afford it now, but as soon as I can, I'm going to buy a" guitar picked out long in advance. For me it's an Artcore.

Good luck and remember NAMM is only a month away!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I guess I've been comfortable playing what I play but i was suddenly granted the oppertunity to upgrade and treat myself
Shame I live in the UK or I'd be NAMMin it up, unless it visits us here ?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Banned

Everyone has their own personal taste in tone, and their own style of playing which is favored by certain guitars, pickups, woods, amps, picks etc. Take advice lightly. What works for one person may not work for you. You are ready to dump a respectably amount of money on a fine instrument. Some of the best advice you can get is from Rich. I recommend you deal with Rich on your new guitar. You won't get a better setup anywhere else, and you wont get a more honest conversation with a 'dealer'. If you are buying local, check their return policy, and make them aware that you may very well use it. It's hard to get the feel for a guitar in the music store. But one thing is for sure, if it doesn't have at least VERY good tone to begin with, pups wont help. Pups change the tone, but not all expensive guitars have great tone. Some guitars have sweet mojo, some just don't and it can't always be soldered in.

Hope it works out for ya.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the wise words Darin.
Of course one mans trash is anothers treasure etc, I've somewhat limited my selection and am looking from imput into the choices I'm left with.
I won't let peoples opinions directly influence me, but you know the more information you can get the better.
I'd love to deal with Rich, however, I'm buying on finance.
I have a good job going now, but to save up for a new guitar will take a very, very long time and currently I'm without guitar all together (long story,not fun) so am taking out a deal with GAK on finance.
So this limits me to GAK's stock.
However, if I was to buy say a JEM 77v I could easily sell it as new and try for the JPM I've always wanted from Rich
Cheers again.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Vendor

Be careful. Most store credit deals are no better than borrowing from a shylark. Expect 24-28% rates [like my local store and the NAMM buyers credit program].
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 PM

Well, then the only thing I can say is that I played a JEM in a Guitar Center (sitting on a stand in the middle of the floor right next to a $2900 PRS and a $2400 Les Paul, a shocker of a sight).

And I actually liked the neck on my RG550MXXRF better. The JEM neck felt thicker and I didn't like the volute. So if you love "thin and super flat" necks, you really should try and get your hands on an anniversary model. Don't know if GAK has any but since these are the only guitars I can speak about, there's my two pence for ya.

My comment about NAMM is to simply make the point that new models will be coming out soon, and it might do you well to wait a month.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
But one thing is for sure, if it doesn't have at least VERY good tone to begin with, pups wont help. Pups change the tone, but not all expensive guitars have great tone. Some guitars have sweet mojo, some just don't and it can't always be soldered in.
+10000 Very good advice.

Tobi, do you have to go the Ibanez route?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Be careful. Most store credit deals are no better than borrowing from a shylark. Expect 24-28% rates [like my local store and the NAMM buyers credit program].
Most stores offer no interest for 6-12 months and sometimes even no payment for 12 months.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Vendor

No, most stores are not Guitar Center.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Red face Re: mFinaly in a position to buy and it's a nightmare! Jems, UVs, RGs, J customs?!

I don't have to go Ibanez, but I've grown to love them over the years and feel at home with their build and tone, I'm not adverse to other brands however as I have used ESP in the past.
The interest rates are fairly reasonable and I have the option to pay off in 6 months anyway so I shouldn't be paying too much more than necessary.
It's a case of having to really, waiting 6 months plus to raise the funds is a nightmarish thought, I couldn't be without a guitar for that long.
I just had another play with the UV, sublime guitar, I'm going to try out the 77v and hopefully a J custom soon though.
Thanks again everyone, there should be a jemsite support line for indecisive people like myself
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Some guitars have sweet mojo, some just don't and it can't always be soldered in.

Hope it works out for ya.
i agree, but i'd also say, you can solder in BAD tone(or tone that is not to your personal tastes) on a guitar with natural 'good tone'... which would logically mean that on some guitars, changing the pups out really can give you great tone or the tone you prefer..
which means unfortunately it can be really hard to tell in certain cases esp' of high end instruments (like the jem) if it's the guitar or the pups you don't like..
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
. . .
Thanks again everyone, there should be a jemsite support line for indecisive people like myself
Ha ha, we all are each others' support when we are suffering from GAS . . . my non guitarist friends ask things like, "why do you need another guitar?" and "can you afford another guitar?" When of course, none of these things matter as much as the fretboard radius, scale length, pickups, wood, and on and on and so forth . . .

Tags
edge trem , fretboard radius , jem neck , les paul , music store , parker fly , parker fly deluxe , petrucci model , pro edge , pro edge trem , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode