Ibanez JEM Forum banner
19K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  brassgiblets 
#1 ·
Hi, i'v got a question about michael's guitars (or his sound actually).

I really like his sound, so i tried to figure out what kind of guitar he plays. On the symphony x website he says to play an esp mII deluxe, but i couldn't find that model on the esp website. So what is it? I do know the mII model, but what is his made of? Alder, mahogany? Maple neck?

Not that i want to get an esp, but could the sound of an rg 3120 or 2820 get me there, both mahogany maple neck guitars...

Anybody got any info? Thanks!

#5 ·
ESP still make a very similar guitar to the MII Deluxe - it's called MII Standard.
Alder body, maple neck, choice of maple or rosewood fingerboard (Michael plays maple) and 2 humbuckers.
It comes with SD pickups but these can easily be changed for his favorite Tone Zone in the neck and X2N in the bridge.

I'm sure you can get his tone with the apropriate pickups and amp tweaking.

ilia

#8 ·
Ok, i'm surprised that it's not an mahogany guitar. But since it's an alder guitar with a bolt on maple neck and rosewood fretboard (at least the white one) than i'd guess it should be possible to get that sound out of an jem 7vwh? At least with some pu changes... And a Tone zone in the neck 8O That's probably quite loud.

Just asking all these question's cause i want something other than basswood. That just doesn't sound alive enough to me or so (difficult to explain).

#12 ·
Here's mine

In 1992 when I got it they came with Schaller FRII which changed to OFR in 1993.
I had mine upgraded to EMG81 set straight away so I never had the original pickups.
I blame Kirk Hammett and Kerry King. :lol:

I've also got 1991 ESP MI Deluxe that I've had since 1991 and Mr Scary will have to take the blame for that one. :D

ilia

#15 ·
Heh, I have his video and his solo album. I also have an ESP M-II that I want to have routed for a neck humbucker. It's sanded and ready to go. It used to be purple!... it will be black 8)

Unlike Dex and Romeo's, though, the lower horn is carved and rounded, not flat, so I will need to use some wood filler as the present single coil slot is angled. It has an EMG 81 right now and sounds great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.