MIJ "Grover Jackson" Soloist - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

MIJ "Grover Jackson" Soloist

Hey all,
Question for you guys. Last night Jim Root gave me a guitar that he used on the Iowa tour. It's a Grover Jackson. Looks just like a Soloist, neckthrough, but it says Grover Jackson on the headstock in the script letter. He got it from Japan, all the pamphlets inside the case are in Japanese. 24 fret rosewood board with sharfin inlays. All black. 2 hums, well at one time it had 2 hums. He's giving it to me to "restore". The body is beat to hell, the neck pickup was ripped out along with the tone and 3 way switch. The volume knob was moved to the tone knob spot. The trem claw was removed and a screw was screwed into the trem cavity to block the trem. So I've got my work cut out for me. He gave me a couple of PRS pickups to put in, he wants some passive pickups in there for once...

Here's the question. Whats the deal with these Jacksons? Are they made in the same plant as Ibanez? What's your impression of quality and whatnot? It seems pretty sweet but like I said, it needs some work to get it better. But as it sits, it's kinda sweet in a beat up way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 10:59 AM

Re: MIJ "Grover Jackson" Soloist

They are Japanese market only Jacksons, the precursors of the current Jackson Stars line. Jackson is already registered or trademarked in Japan (I don't know the difference, though Darren has pointed out at least 5 times in the last year!) so they needed to call them something else. They are good guitars, and depending on whom you talk to, they are either as good as the earlier 90-93 Professionals (which were as good as the US models) or very close. I would have thought it would have an ebony board, thouugh.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Jim,
I think it's more of a Student-type Soloist. Rosewood board. No neck or headstock binding. At least that's my assumption...

Jackson is already a registered trademark in Japan? I'm guessing by another company that has nothing to do with guitars...
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 11:55 AM

Oh, ok. I wasn't thinking of the binding being missing when I saw sharkies in the board. I bet it's a nice guitar. I love Soloists myself, and high end Jacksons in general.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:09 PM

Made in Japan Jackson? Any pics?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:21 PM

I would like to see pictures as well
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

As soon as I can borrow a digital camera, I'll try to snap a pic or 2 and post them in my photobucket account...

It is a nice guitar. Don't know how nice it was new or if his guitar tech, Martin Connors, made it nice. Super low action. That EMG 81 just screams. But it will be passive before too long. Might sound good. The PRS's are 2 Dragon II's, don't know how they will sound in there but might be nice. Plus, I get to keep the EMG! YEAH! I do like EMG's. Course I don't really need it, but they are nice to have lying around...

I'll see what I can do about a pic or 2...
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 05:01 PM

Sweet man, I tihnk I know which guitar your talking about, is it blue? as I saw James playing a Jackson with no neck pup, might be it....

Killer man, you get to keep an EMG from James? awwe, thats sweet.....would you trade it for some guitar necks?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 05:11 PM

Sort of like this one?

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Jim,
It looks alot like that one. Only differences is it had a 3 way switch like a LP, not the blade type. And no binding on the neck or headstock. But other than that, it looks alot like that one...

Sabu2K1,
Nope, not blue. This ones black. Might be it though, it's like a light black, if there is such a thing. As for the EMG, I could trade it, possibly. Like I said, I don't really need it. But I'm having a hard time taking it out. It does sound pretty sweet in there. If it was mine, I'd keep it like it is. Lean, mean and beat to hell...

It is amazing how much damage these guitars take on tour. It would drive me nuts. Either that or I'd learn to deal with donks and dents and whatnot. I'll try to get some pics...

Last edited by Scott Smith; 10-19-2005 at 06:03 PM.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith
Jim,
It looks alot like that one. Only differences is it had a 3 way switch like a LP, not the blade type. And no binding on the neck or headstock. But other than that, it looks alot like that one...

Sabu2K1,
Nope, not blue. This ones black. Might be it though, it's like a light black, if there is such a thing. As for the EMG, I could trade it, possibly. Like I said, I don't really need it. But I'm having a hard time taking it out. It does sound pretty sweet in there. If it was mine, I'd keep it like it is. Lean, mean and beat to hell...

It is amazing how much damage these guitars take on tour. It would drive me nuts. Either that or I'd learn to deal with donks and dents and whatnot. I'll try to get some pics...
Ahh, yes, my mistake, no that I look at the video again, it is black, got fooled by the refelction of the sky, , well man, if you do decide to trade it, send me a PM, thanks anyway, good luck with the mods, and I hope James gets back in 100% condition so that he can get back to playing
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Sort of like this one?

Dude, you gotta cut those strings .

Regards

André

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 06:16 PM

That's not mine! Mine's a '90 Pro (and in the classifieds)

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 06:17 PM

That looks higher quality than the other import jacksons although loks can be deceiving
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Sabu2K1,
You have a vid of Jim playing this guitar? Is it the "Iowa" tour? I know it's almost impossible to return it to 100% because of the damage to the body. Some serious dents and chunks. Looks like it was dropped on several occasions. The neck is dead straight and the truss rod works quite nicely so at least that part didn't take major damage...

Also, he'll be back to playing as soon as his wrist heals. Damn Mountain Bikes...

I don't really know the story behind this one. I think he got it because he had just signed with Jackson during the first tour and he bought that one to play until he got the Custom Shop ones. Bought it in Japan. I think that's the story behind it. I'll have to verify...

As for quality, it seems pretty good. Not much filler around the inlays, a tell tale giveaway for sloppy work. I think anyway...

Tags
custom shop , ebony board , ebony boards , grover jackson , guitar shop , guitar tech , headstock binding , jackson guitars , neck pickup , neck pup , rosewood board , trem claw , truss rod , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode