MIK Prestiges - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
MIK Prestiges

I've always been under the impression that every Prestige was MIJ. I've had two and my brother has one and all have been MIJ. Lately I've been seeing some FS/FT Prestiges made in Korea. I haven't personally come across a MIK Prestige; does Ibanez actually make any Korean made Prestiges?

Thanks guys,
Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:24 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: MIK Prestiges

Many guitars in the S series were MIK Prestige. I think the entire line was MIK until they moved them back to Japan last year if I'm not mistaken.
It looks like Korea is done, though.
I eagerly await a MIUSA Prestige. That's a rumor that I continue to promote, sans evidence....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Thanks for the reply mike570; kinda disheartened to find that out, but that's how it goes sometimes. Thanks again!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:53 PM

My S2170 is MIK prestige. Its not really a big deal. At the very least the fretwork was prestige standard. Unlike some of the recent developments in the MIJ fretwork.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 PM

Yeah dont worry to much about were there made worry about the standard there made at.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:32 PM

I was under the impression for a long time that the entire S Series were MIK, but I recently got an S1520 off a mate and that's MIJ from 2003. Rich's NAMM report says that there will be no more MIK guitars so I guess they are either being moved to Indo or China.

The SZ Prestige were also MIK from memory, and rather nice guitars aswell.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:05 PM

I thought all the prestige's were being moved up to Japan?

Or are you referring to the standard S line?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiyda View Post
I was under the impression for a long time that the entire S Series were MIK, but I recently got an S1520 off a mate and that's MIJ from 2003. Rich's NAMM report says that there will be no more MIK guitars so I guess they are either being moved to Indo or China.

The SZ Prestige were also MIK from memory, and rather nice guitars aswell.
All prestige models are now being made in japan.

Anything that was MIK, but isn't prestige, or that was MII, is now being produced in indonesia, since Cort have apparently closed shop as a ghostbuilder, if not as a company in general.

I was led to believe as long as 6 months ago in fact, that Cort have gone out of business, by a local guitar store salesman. Rich has since echoed this so I can only assume this has been in the works for some time.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnDr3wYoN View Post
I thought all the prestige's were being moved up to Japan?

Or are you referring to the standard S line?
I was just referring to the standard S line, I noticed last year that SA and SAS models were no longer MIK.

I would only guess that the Prestige Models would be MIJ, it appears that the 2 MIK S Prestige models the S2170 have been discontinued, which just leaves the MIJ S Prestiges.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
All prestige models are now being made in japan.

Anything that was MIK, but isn't prestige, or that was MII, is now being produced in indonesia, since Cort have apparently closed shop as a ghostbuilder, if not as a company in general.

I was led to believe as long as 6 months ago in fact, that Cort have gone out of business, by a local guitar store salesman. Rich has since echoed this so I can only assume this has been in the works for some time.
Thats a shame if they have gone out of business, I always liked Cort's acoustics, especially the SFX models, if that's the case I may have to pick one up before they are no longer available, unless Ibanez start making solid top small body acoustics.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:50 PM

My SZ 1220 was from Japan, crafted in 2004

Tags
ibanez , japan , korea , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

which prestiges are made in korea?
are ibanez prestiges made in japan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode