Mike Hartman Ibanez Endorsee Guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By KillerQueenJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Mike Hartman Ibanez Endorsee Guitar

I locked in the purchase of what I think is a guitar that Ibanez made for Mike Hartman. He played on David Lee Roth's "DLR Band". His name is on the headstock below the checkmark logo where "RG Series" would typically be and the serial # appears to date the guitar as being built in 1980 at the Terada plant in Japan. It would be similar to an RG550 with an Original Edge and it seems someone did monkey grip and angled output jack routes to it. It's in rough shape. Does anyone know anything about this guitar or Mike Hartman?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: Mike Hartman Ibanez Endorsee Guitar

I just realized I must be getting the date wrong because I don't think the headstocks in 1980 looked like they do now. The serial # on the plate starts with A80. There is no serial # on the back of the headstock
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of the headstock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ibanez MH1.jpg (54.2 KB, 71 views)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 01:35 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

You'd get better info if you post a picture of the full guitar front and back. He played on this later DLR album
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLR_Band
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

As far as I can tell I have used up my available space to attach pics and I don't have a picture-sharing account.

Its fluorescent bluish-green (might be seafoam green) with a square neck joint, maple neck, and Original Edge. It has rough mods for monkey grip, angled output jack, and contoured neck heel.

Otherwise it's just like an old RG550.

I'm wondering if this thing is real, or at least if the neck is. The neck feels great.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSibanez View Post
Does anyone know anything about this guitar or Mike Hartman?
Not that guitar in particular, but it does sound like one I owned years ago that was previously owned by Hartman. I had an RG body with a monkey grip, with a light wood stained body. The grip was pretty rough on that one as well. It was also fretless, but I had frets put on it. Mike had a write up in GW when he was a young teenager for having lessons with Vai for the make a wish foundation. He played on DLR and had at least on solo album, Black Glue. I still have it some where, I got it with the guitar. Song for Jeannie , I think was the name of song of the album was on the Sandra Bullock's Forces of Nature movie. He died from Cystic Fibrosis in the early 00's I believe. Pretty good player. It will probably be hard to authenticate, but if it plays great and you like it, and the price is right, does it really matter how owned it before you? Good luck! Tobe
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight, actually I think it is the guitar you owned. Looking where the tremolo cover mounts there is paint chipping off, underneath of which seems to be a natural finish. My bigger question is, if he was a Vai fan, did he take the guitar the Ibanez made for him and do the Monkey Grip himself? That would be pretty cool! That's cool that you got the CD with it. If you don't mind me asking, did you get it directly from Mike Hartman? If you were interested in seeing pics, you could PM me with an email address.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSibanez View Post
My bigger question is, if he was a Vai fan, did he take the guitar the Ibanez made for him and do the Monkey Grip himself? That would be pretty cool!......If you don't mind me asking, did you get it directly from Mike Hartman? If you were interested in seeing pics, you could PM me with an email address.
From my understanding, the monkey grip was done by Ibanez. I believe he was an endorsed artist. The guitar I purchased came off ebay when Mike was selling off some of his stuff to pay bills. I cannot confirm or deny it was actually Mike that sold it to me or not. Lastly, thinking back there was a bit of damage to the where the studs are mounted into the guitar. The guitar was totally stable, but you could see where it had been repaired. Have a great day! Tobe
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:00 PM

Hi, this is Mike's wife, Jeanie. I can confirm that Mike owned the light stained wood guitar. We did sell it through a friend on eBay at that time. If you have additional questions, feel free to ask.
peromucho7 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in