MiKro PGMM31 ?s - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Donovan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

MiKro PGMM31 ?s

Folks,
Just bought my daughter a PGMM31 for her Birthday. She's 4.. I know. Too young. She is old enough to grab dad's guitars and put them on the floor and wail on them so I thought I'd get her something that she can bang off the walls for a while and maybe develop an interest in down the road. I wanted something that wasn't a horrible toy but not a lot of $$ and the 3/4 scale MiKro guitars look to fit that. I have 8-9 other Ibanez guitars ranging from 2 Super 70's to two USRG30s to the newish Prestige RG3120 and an RGT3120. I really like my Ibanez.

This is a brand new 2018 PGM. I've searched and found some scattered threads with a little info but mostly out dated stuff. Is there a source for current info and thoughts on these guitars? I've read many times that the tuners are el crapola and they are pretty cheap. I've also read that it's the string tension that is the problem and a heavy set or 11s will suffice without going to locking tuners. Any insight from the pros and in the knows here?

I got her some purple Fender celluloid pics and a cool green with skulls DiMarzio clip in strap. She likes skulls. I'll post pictures later when I put the stuff together. My first plan of action is to take this down to it's pieces and clean every thing and dress the frets and oil the neck. Should be a fun player.

Thanks for your halps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:08 PM

Re: MiKro PGMM31 ?s

I'll caveat my response by saying I don't have any experience with the Paul Gilbert model and also that the miKro's I've had were from several years ago. That said, I believe the PGM model shares the same components as the GIO RG miKros with the only difference being the the painted f holes and corresponding control layout differences.

My son's miKro is a pretty solid little guitar. In my opinion it's superior to any of the other short scale guitars on the market in a similar price range. That said, the tuning stability was pretty frustrating until I replaced the terrible stock tuners. I installed a set of Gotoh SG381 Magnum locking tuners and that eliminated the stability issues. The price of a set of decent locking tuners pales in comparison to the amount of frustration that poor tuning stability causes, particularly for a young/new player. I'd hate to have someone give up on playing or not progress as fast as they could just because they're either spending all their time tuning their guitar or it doesn't sound good due to being out of tune.

You're also going to want to string it with 11s due to the scale, not so much for tuning stability, but just so that the tension is a bit higher more normal. With 9s you're also likely to deal with fret buzz if you get the action down low where you probably want it for a youngster.

Sounds like a fun project. Share some pics of everything when it's done.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Cool man! Thanks. I have a set of Sperzel 6 In-Line Locking Tuners sitting in my Amazon cart as I type this. Just waiting on confirmation that the tuners have not improved.
The PGM version comes with the Evolution pickups I believe too which part of the $50 difference.
DeeJayK likes this.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
The PGM version comes with the Evolution pickups I believe too which part of the $50 difference.
First I've heard of these having Evos. I thought they were the same Infinity R pickups as the standard miKros.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayK View Post
First I've heard of these having Evos. I thought they were the same Infinity R pickups as the standard miKros.
You're right. I don't know why I said Evo. The GRGM21s came with the "Ibanez standard" pickups until some time in 2017 I believe. They both have the Infinity R pickups now. PGM has a poplar body and the standard MiKro is poplar now too.

Tags
mikro pgmm31

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode