Ibanez JEM Forum banner

MM1 Martin Miller worth the premium over Prestige AZ

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  jim777 
#1 ·
I'm offered good deals on a Prestige AZ 2402 with a standard finish, or a rare 8n stock MM1 TAB (the Martin Miller artist special version of the same guitar), which would cost me 900$ more than the standard, all in.

The MM1 differs from the standard as follows:
- mahogany body with flamed maple top in a nice translucent blue instead of alder body with solid paint.
- different knobs (metal instead of graduated plastic)
- exclusivity

Sound wise and feeling wise, the guitars feel very similar, to the point that I can't tell one from the other except from the looks.

I quite like Martin Miller and find the color scheme quite beautiful, but am questioning the wisdom of paying almost 50% more for his signature guitar compared to something plainer, bit also more under the radar, and as good functionally.

I'd be curious to know how you'd approach that dilemma?

On a side note, while the necks were nice, the fretboard edges and fret edges were not what I would have expected for such pricey guitars, and certainly below the level of my Genesis RG570.

Fire away!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmm depends on a few things i guess..

- how much more you like the MM1
- how much $900 is to you.

But I'd also guess resale value might be important. If you're gonna sell it on again in a few years will the MM1 get a bigger return?

I'm a gearhound... Other than my 77FP (that's untouchable) I buy 2nd hand and sell on every few years. So my thought process is usually deciding if I'm buying cheap enough to break even make a small profit.. Helps fund next year's GAS attack...

Otherwise if you're keeping it long term as your main axe then "buy the best instrument your budget allows" is a good rule of thumb. Which would be an MM1 vote i guess...

#3 ·
Hmm depends on a few things i guess..

- how much more you like the MM1
- how much $900 is to you.

But I'd also guess resale value might be important. If you're gonna sell it on again in a few years will the MM1 get a bigger return?

I'm a gearhound... Other than my 77FP (that's untouchable) I buy 2nd hand and sell on every few years. So my thought process is usually deciding if I'm buying cheap enough to break even make a small profit.. Helps fund next year's GAS attack...

Otherwise if you're keeping it long term as your main axe then "buy the best instrument your budget allows" is a good rule of thumb. Which would be an MM1 vote i guess...
I guess my main issue is that in Canada, the regular AZ is 2800 and the MM is $3500.

These felt like OK $1000-ish guitars but not 3 grand guitars, I don't care how much roasting and stainless frets cost extra.

They just didn't feel special, or even particularly well put together (no neck or fret finish) to even compare with my RG570 Genesis, which costs only a third as much.

Bottom line, justifying the discounted regular production one might still be OK given how versatile an instrument that is, but the MM1, which I find much much prettier, simply doesn't feel like a 3 grand+ guitar. That's too bad. I really would have wanted one, but at that price, I expect what I buy to feel like something of a luxury, which this didn't.

#6 ·
It's the fret ends, they're sharp, the edges of the board aren't rolled, it's the same with virtually all maple fretboard guitars. They never feel good out of the box, and nothing rosewood feels like it did 10 years ago. You can work the fret ends but you can't do anything to the fretboard edges because the roasting color is only the surface, it strips right off.

The other difference in the MM is the royalties and perceived extra coin they can get from fans, but actually it's the flame maple top. That adds $800 right now if you want to do a prop run on any Prestige. And the Koa top is a $3500 guitar.

#7 ·
Rich,

I understand that, and my comment would have been the same regarding the regular Prestige AZs, which came down to about 300$ less than the MM1. They don't feel like as expensive a guitar as the price tag suggests.

Serious question for you of all people: why would sharp fret ends be acceptable on a "Prestige" level guitar at this price point, especially one aimed at the discerning player?

#9 ·
If you're interested in a Prestige MM signature AZ just buy a Suhr, at least here in the UK the prices are close enough, you can get a Modern Pro for give or take £300 more. On my Suhr (roasted maple board, SS frets) the frets came flawless, the edges were rolled and the maple was sculpted around the frets to accentuate the rolled feel. I've only played the Premium AZ so far and I was left a bit uninspired and really wasn't massive on the neck shape, so I only have hearsay to go on regarding the Prestige AZ, but if they aren't up to scratch then the real deal doesn't cost that much more.

#11 ·
Luke,

Not that it's "that bad". The guitars sound great, and cover a lot of ground. The components are quality and the features are great.

What I'm saying is that in terms of craftsmanship, which is a feature that is important to ME -and not necessarily to others- at that price point, they seem generic and disappointing, and certainly not special.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.