Modding the ultimate PGM 30 custom! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Modding the ultimate PGM 30 custom!

Well as the title says I want to make the best custom PGM from a 2001 PGM30 that I restored. Here are a list of changes I want to make and I thought best to see what people here thought or would do differently and why...Now my aim is not to make the PGM30 into a higher end PGM but to make it as great as it can be! With its own personality...There are a few things which I definitely want to do as well as a few that I could use that bit of jemsite expertise

First change will be to replace the TRS II trem for an original Edge Lo Pro. Already brought one. But I am thinking I shall have to route out the trem cavity. Can anyone give me dimensions that I would need to change on the cavity. i.e make it 3mm further back that sort of thing. Trem not arrived yet so without looking difficult to gage...but would like to have it done by the time it arrives...which brings me on to the next change....

Replacing the TRS trem studs with Edge Pro 2 trem pivot posts. Looked on the Cottam guitars website and they are a direct replacement for the trs. As I didn't want to replace the inserts decided was the way to go.....

Next up for change are the pickups....I decided that I was going to go for Dimarzio Evolution's in the bridge and neck. So have managed to get hold of a pair cheap from a four letter auction site lol!!!

Now all the changes from now on are ones that I shall need you guys help with.... Should I just wire the 2 evo's to the 5 way and bypass the inf single coil or should I wire it in there...TBH not a big fan of it so thought better just to bypass....By doing this how different will positions 2,3 and 4 sound opposed to the single coil?

Now my next thought is changing the volume pot...A worthwhile upgrade or not?...Then I thought what about a 1 meg pot... definitely need opinions on this with evo's in a basswood body, especially as that leads me to the next upgrade. I thought about a brass block to add sustain and clarity, could I get away with a 42mm block...I don't keep the trem cover on anyways... If anyone can think of any better mods or upgrade that will make this PGM spectacular please chime on in...

Lastly...a new paint job...after all these new bits seems only fair to give the old girl some new clothes lol!!! Being inspired by the new Jem...I was thinking seafoam green with white f-holes and SFG headstock with either white or chrome Ibanez decal....

To sum up for those that got bored here a quick list of changes both brought and proposed!

1. change TRS II for Lo Pro Edge
2. New Edge Pro 2 trem posts
3. Pickup change to Dimarzio Evolutions Bridge and neck...Thoughts on wiring options please!
4. Volume Pot Change either to better one or 1 meg possibly... Definitely need help with this one in terms of what to choose and why!
5. Big Block Brass for the trem...and what size?
6. Thoughts on Brass trem claw...is it worth it and what does it do or indeed would it do to the sound after the other upgrades?
7. What does everyone think of my choice of SFG and white F-holes any other colour schemes that would do the old girl justice?

Many thanks Jase...will post pics when I get my post count up high enough lol!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:42 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Modding the ultimate PGM 30 custom!

It's probably best to wait for the bridge to arrive. The LO TRS II routes can be a little inconsistent. You'll most likely need to lengthen the cavity and widen around the knife edges a little.

Don't do the Edge Pro II studs, they will be rubbish like the LO-TRS II ones. Take the time and effort to pull the stock ones and redrill to fit the better quality Edge ones.

If you want to wire only the two humbuckers and make a five way usefull you'll need to replace the five way switch with one that will work nicely with 2 humbuckers. I vote just keep the single in play, and when you have the money buy a decent single.

don't change the electronics unless there is something wrong with them. A 1 meg pot will make the tone of your pickups brighter and more trebly. Probably not something you want to do with an Evo.

A sustain block and claw upgrade are worthwhile. If you want a brass claw go with the Killer Guitar Components one. It's more expensive but its a much better piece of kit. It surprisingly does make a good difference on tone.

Big fat sustain blocks may affect your pull-up range. I've actually got some prototype Edge brass and titanium sustain blocks that I'll be reviewing on my blog shortly. They are will be well priced from the manufacturer. Wait for my review and see if you like the tones from them in comparison to the stock block.

Do what ever colour you want for the paint. It's your guitar, choose what you'll like. Don't worry about what the rest of us think.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

This was what the guitar was like when I first got it!
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/indyjas...in/photostream
not sure if that pic uploaded but if you go here you can see the before and after shots...Quite pleased with my scalloping job! Now I am ready for the big upgrades!
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Lone Phantom, I was thinking the same about the 1 meg pot what with a basswood body, evo's, and brass block would be way to shrill!!! I asked about the colors as I am as yet undecided and was open to any cool idea, although I have to say I am partial to the Seafoam green, just to be different. Bugger already ordered and paid for the trem studs... will try them out when the trem arrives but in truth have my heart set on the locking edge ones, so I think I will use these until its time to paint then change to the locking ones... Will wait for your review before buying the block...Do you think the evo single coil will be a nice fit or just to be different a chopper or in keeping with PG an injector, or would those be too unbalanced...Thanks for you time and advice I really appreciate it!!!
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 PM

Reviews: 2

To be honest, the swap from Lo-TRS II to Lo-Pro was VERY easy for me. Total working time of about 2 hours doing everything by hand. The sides of the cavity next to the fine tuners were all that needed widening. I used some emery cloth wrapped around a small block to sand back what I needed. Drilling the holes for the Lo-Pro anchors was fast as well. I didn't even use a drill. The original opening for the TRS studs is 8.05mm (roughly the same as 5/16"). The Lo-Pro anchors require a 10.75mm bore (same as 27/64") the bit sizes I used to progressively open the holes were 21/64", 11/32", 23/64", 3/8", 25/64", 13/32", and finally 27/64". Each was easy to turn by hand. I started turning in reverse while pressing the bit to the bottom of the bore then turning in the forward direction while slowly pulling it out to ream the hole a little bit. Do the same with each progressively larger bit and in minutes you'll have a correct size bore. Doing it by hand will avoid putting the bore out of plumb. When your bore is up to size, you need to drill it 4mm deeper to accommodate the longer anchors. This is again very easy to do by hand. The basswood is soft enough to make a clean cut if your using new, sharp bits.

For some pics of the guitar I did see this thread..... be sure to check out the image shack link for more pics.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/lo...te-124868.html

If your sure you want to eliminate the INF single, I would change the switch to a switchcraft 3-way for tele's and add either a mini switch or a push-pull for coil splitting. If you need a diagram, one can be found for 'ya.

Sea Foam Green Rocks man!!! You have my vote.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info...I thought the cavity wouldn't be long enough not wide enough so you saved me getting impetuous and making it bigger. Best to wait until it arrives... That guitar looks great and with about the same work I would have to put in. Will def change the anchors now before painting!!!!...In regards to the pickup wiring I found a diagram for an RG1527 running in series and parallel for the single coil position on the humbucker, but I think I am just going to go ahead and wire in the single coil until I decide what to change it with. I am thinking Jem 7v diagram should work but eliminate the tone pot. Wait would a PGM 300 diagram be better!
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 PM

subscribed..
I once owned a PGM30 and also built a clone from an RG so I want to see where this goes.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 PM

LOL......... You really need to decide what you want to do in regard to switching/pups. You'll need specific switches to work with different switching options and pickup configuration.

You'll be surprised at how easy it is to put the LP into your body.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjase73 View Post
Thanks for the info...I thought the cavity wouldn't be long enough not wide enough so you saved me getting impetuous and making it bigger. Best to wait until it arrives... That guitar looks great and with about the same work I would have to put in. Will def change the anchors now before painting!!!!...In regards to the pickup wiring I found a diagram for an RG1527 running in series and parallel for the single coil position on the humbucker, but I think I am just going to go ahead and wire in the single coil until I decide what to change it with. I am thinking Jem 7v diagram should work but eliminate the tone pot. Wait would a PGM 300 diagram be better!
The RG1527 uses a different switch to the standard strat style five way. It only looks like one. The design is completely different though. It was made for Ibanez for their two humbucker model guitars. Just remember that. I'd just get a nice single coil later on when you have the money if you're still not happy with the stock one after changing the humbuckers.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 PM

or just eliminate the middle pickup altogether.....LOL

BEFORE:

AFTER:

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM

Yes of course Ryc!
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Yes of course Ryc!
LMAO!!! This is definitely the easy way out. so much more simple than trying to choose a switch/pup combo
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

now you guys have me thinking lol!!!! Well the necks now finished being scalloped ala Jem, but will need a nice fret dress.... My Lo pro has arrived and so have the evolutions...unfortunately I live in the canary islands and have to wait to pick them up in a couple of weeks from the UK when I pop there!!!

Pickups
http://www.flickr.com/photos/indyjas...7633160805741/

Trem

As you can see will need a good clean...but a bargain for 56.00 pounds delivered!

This was the wiring diagram I had thought about using with my existing 5 way and just not using the tone control...Would that work/sound better than just wiring in the inf single coil....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/indyjas...n/photostream/

Here are a couple of mockup colors I did...Not the greatest as I colored them in using MS Paint...lol!!! But you get the general idea! Will do a LNG and a purple as well this week.

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
or just eliminate the middle pickup altogether.....LOL

BEFORE:

AFTER:

That is excellent and seamless work. In my case I want to do the opposite, which would be to route in a single coil cavity into a two pickup guitar.

Tags
1 meg , brass block , lo pro , modding , pgm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode