Model hierarchy resource? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Model hierarchy resource?

As a newer guy to Ibanez's, is there a resource or website that lists all the different models and which one is supposed to be better than the next? Obviously a lot of it is a matter of opinion but I was thinking the hierarchy could be listed by MSRP or something (and obviously a guitar that sold for $499 in 1990 doesn't equal a guitar selling today for $499).

Just curious if there'a anything out there, Ibanez makes a lot of different models!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 11:59 AM

Re: Model hierarchy resource?

Not even Ibanez wiki has all the guitars, as for the quality of the guitars that would be really subjective in most cases but a general rule of tumb would be Japanese > Indo > Korean, and not even that would be true to some people, also as far as Japanese models it would be something like Sugi > J Custom > Signature > (80s 90s models = Prestige).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 12:01 PM

Jemsite may not have a "list" per se, but there are a lot of guys and gals on here who know their stuff when it comes to the Ibanez line up. I'd be more apt to bounce a model off of them and get their opinions as opposed to a generic website. Ibanez have made a lot of sneaky models that may be low on the hierarchy food chain, but are great guitars. Give it a try!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 03:24 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt142 View Post
Jemsite may not have a "list" per se, but there are a lot of guys and gals on here who know their stuff when it comes to the Ibanez line up. I'd be more apt to bounce a model off of them and get their opinions as opposed to a generic website. Ibanez have made a lot of sneaky models that may be low on the hierarchy food chain, but are great guitars. Give it a try!

^^^THIS

It would be a herculean task to put together a list of every series, then each model # within each series in order of quality. I can't imagine how long it would take to do...... I know Jesse put an extraordinary amount of time into his USA custom database......and that's just one segment of one series over a fairly limited amount of time.

It's far more efficient to point you in a helpful direction after learning about your needs/wants/budget.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 12:02 AM

I agree with the previous posts. Collectively, the members of this forum can offer more knowledge regarding Ibanez than any other resource. As for model hierarchy, I think we need specific examples in order for the knowledge to start flowing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 10:56 AM

The best way to do this is to understand in general what the different Ibanez terms mean like Prestige, Premium, etc and to understand how their numbering system works. You can get a lot of this by reading old catalogs.

There is no tool or cross reference for this, you just have to learn it over time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode