Modifying Strat from S/S/S to H/S/H - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Modifying Strat from S/S/S to H/S/H

I was thinking about routing my Mexican Strat's body so that it would handle a H/S/H combo and have Evolutions and a Blue Velvet. Do you think this would be possible, let alone reasonable?

I'm also planning on getting a '50s Strat (Mexican), so that'd solve all my vintage vibe tones that I LOVE. This H/S/H combo would give stronger, more aggressive tones that I'm seeking, while the 50's strat could hold onto those bell tones that I love in a Strat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 11:35 PM

Re: Modifying Strat from S/S/S to H/S/H

Did you look under the pickguard yet? Most strats are already routed like that, it's jsut a matter of changing the pick guard. Otherwise why not try throwing a stacked humbucker in there?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Did you look under the pickguard yet? Most strats are already routed like that, it's jsut a matter of changing the pick guard. Otherwise why not try throwing a stacked humbucker in there?
Nahh, I never actually looked under the pickguard myself, though I could have sworn it's already routed for S/S/S. If it's already routed, that saves me a BUNCH of time and worrying I'll screw it up (I hate working with routers, though I've gotten good at it). It COULD be routed H/S/H that way it could be used for standard, fat, or double fat. If it IS already routed, all i gotta do is buy a set of Evolutions and a blue velvet middle, 500K pots, and maybe a new pickguard from Pickguard Paradise, that'd be cool. Maybe I'll modify the paint job a bit too.

I don't like stacked humbuckers for some reason (except the HS-2 and HS-3 aren't bad). I've just never been a fan, they don't have as much raw power and outbut as true full humbuckers (imo). Plus, I think H-S-H in a strat would look cooler (or maybe just neck humbucker).
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 01:00 AM

If I were a gambling man, Id put money on your strat either being routed for H-S-H or just having the swimming pool route. I dont think fender has many strats routed specifically for just 3 single coils.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If I were a gambling man, Id put money on your strat either being routed for H-S-H or just having the swimming pool route. I dont think fender has many strats routed specifically for just 3 single coils.
I've seen them, but that may be custom shops. I SERIOUSLY doubt fender would use an H-S-H routing scheme, as they don't offer any H-S-H configured guitars, only H-H and H-S-S (in addition, obviously, to S-S-S). My money would be on a swimming pool routing job. Anyway, this is seeming like more and more of a possibility, considering I'll be making $1,000 in the month of August, I may throw Evolutions, a Blue Velvet, and get a 50's Strat (Mexi) for older tones.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 11:08 AM

I think you'll find it is HSS. Here is a photo of a mid 90's mexi strat body I used to own:

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofBlindingLights View Post
I've seen them, but that may be custom shops. I SERIOUSLY doubt fender would use an H-S-H routing scheme, as they don't offer any H-S-H configured guitars, only H-H and H-S-S (in addition, obviously, to S-S-S). My money would be on a swimming pool routing job. .
They dont make any H-S-H, but they do make H-H. Since everything is under a pickguard they could route ithowever they wanted, and I would imagine it would save them time and money to route just about everything the same and maybe just route the Custom Shop stuff, Claptons, EJs,and so on different. I guess its only a five minute job to pull the pickgaurd off and see whats there, but I wouldnt think you would have to do any routing.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:21 PM

buy a new body if you don't want to route. new bodies are cheap as crap on the bay. you can get better woods, too. i like to route, but usually the cost is prohibitive if you have a shop do it, but for a strat would be cheap. i just like an all parts or wd for cheap.

rich
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:28 PM

I was actually surpised that my Squire 51 didnt have a swimming pool route. It is just routed for the single coil in the neck and humbucker in the bridge. If the pickguard wasnt such an important part of the look I might not put it back on.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Hmm... the plot thickens...

If that picture's the way my Mexican's routed, it wouldn't be hard to convert it to a swimming pool route, just trace in pencil and route out the wood between the spaces and I'll have a swimming pool route. That'd be a LOT easier than I'd expected it to be.

I'm still thinking it'd be either S-S-S or H-S-S. Though, they were making fat strats and double fats when I bought my strat.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 07:39 PM

Take the pickguard off already and show us man
Im almost positive its not rouited S-S-S
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 08:44 PM

I pulled the pickguard off my Squier Strat and it was routed for H-S-H
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Take the pickguard off already and show us man
Im almost positive its not rouited S-S-S
Naked strat, naked strat, naked strat ........ I think I should get out more.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofBlindingLights View Post
Hmm... the plot thickens...

If that picture's the way my Mexican's routed, it wouldn't be hard to convert it to a swimming pool route, just trace in pencil and route out the wood between the spaces and I'll have a swimming pool route. That'd be a LOT easier than I'd expected it to be.

I'm still thinking it'd be either S-S-S or H-S-S. Though, they were making fat strats and double fats when I bought my strat.
Nah, don't do the swimming pool route, leave as much wood as you can between the neck joint and the bridge - that's your tone and sustain generator you're routing big holes in there dude!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Nah, don't do the swimming pool route, leave as much wood as you can between the neck joint and the bridge - that's your tone and sustain generator you're routing big holes in there dude!
+1, a little trimming is all that you will need.

Tags
air norton , air norton combo , custom shop , david mccarroll , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , fat strat , mexican strat , neck humbucker , neck joint , pickguard paradise , squier strat , strat body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode