More jumbo fret questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

More jumbo fret questions

Hi all,

Apart from finding a mint pre-2003 jem7vwh at a bargain price im really stuck with the prestige rg series but im concerned about the possibilty of having it refretted with smaller frets. Will this mess up the action and involve resetting the trem and nut ?

If the js models had a flat radius neck I would buy one today.

When I tried a jem 555 it felt like it had extra - super - jumbos and instead of using less pressure (as the theory claims) I found myself having to use more pressure than I do on medium frets !

Im in the market for a brand new guitar but I cannot find a decent one with small fretwire, its so frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 09:19 AM

Re: More jumbo fret questions

How much time have you spent with Jumbo frets? My experience has been that they felt a little weird and harder to play at first, then as I got used to it my playing improved dramaticly and now I hate to play anything without Jumbos.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 10:21 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
How much time have you spent with Jumbo frets? My experience has been that they felt a little weird and harder to play at first, then as I got used to it my playing improved dramaticly and now I hate to play anything without Jumbos.

I'm with you, I think RG frets are the best once you play them. Sounds like if your having that much problem it may be a setup issue. I can't beleive how much a good setup will do for a guitar. Had my 570 done two days ago, lower than low.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 10:53 AM

The JemVWH is fretted with 6105's. That's WARMOTH'S 6105 fretwire NOT DUNLOP'S 6105. There's a huge difference. I like them both, but lot's of people misunderstand, and reference the Dunlop size (which is very tall and skinny) The Warmoth 6105 isn't really a small fretwire, but it's not a mega jumbo like the RG's either. If you were "lucky" and there's a shim under your lock nut, then Warmoth 6105's might only require removing the shim. But if there's no shim, or if you wen't smaller than 6105, the nut would have to be lowered. You can either grind a little off the nut, or route the channel deeper.

The trem should stay relatively in the same place. If it's almost touching the bottom of the cavity already, then I would route the front end of the cavity a little deeper. You can pull the anchors and re-drill them deeper, or sometimes if I just need a little more depth, I'll route around the anchors. It's like a "Tee" shape, because the underside of the saddles is deeper than the outer rims of the knife edges.

Another way to compensate for the trem issue is to route a slight neck angle into the pocket. I do that a lot. Sometimes there are shims in there anyway, so I can pull them and re-route a clean, slightly angled pocket. That way the trem can come UP 1-2mm.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:02 PM

Im with twiddleuk on this, I hate jumbo frets but...... how can so many buyers be wrong?
I was recently shopping for a guitar myself and know your frustration but...
until this year my only guitar was an old RG450 with medium frets and I loved it (still do), I got a lot of interaction with the fingerboard and liked the feel of wood under my fingers.
This year I bought another RG that had Jumbo's, initially I hated it but after persisting playing it for a while I enjoyed the "play by touch" feel, where I got a lot less wood interaction (ahem)

to summarise, Im not only a jumbo fret convert but was considering scalloping or super jumbo or something......

smoother bends and a great touch feel, persist with the jumbo's mate, give it a few months.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 06:12 PM

Another "jumbo" wire lover here. It's like Whatisshredding says..."smoother bends and a great touch feel".

Tags
jumbo frets , lock nut , medium frets , neck angle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode