More pickups fun...! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

More pickups fun...!

Okay, so now I'm considering a Gibson Explorer in natural (that was my first dream before a goldtop les paul), and it has the greatest feeling neck that I've ever played, behind a JEM. Anyway, I want to swap out the pickups, a 496R and a 500T, and throw in a set of breeds. So, here's my question:

1. Would it be worth it? or would Burstbuckers sound better? (Bustbuckers definitely look nicer)

2. How much would you pay for a set of unused 496R and 500T?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 05:14 PM

Re: More pickups fun...!

1. Burstbuckers are ok, not what I would go with. Ihad an Explorer with a JB and a 59, I would definately do that. If you wanted to stay Gibson, Id go 57 Classics.

2. Not much, the 500T is about the worst pickup I've ever had.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
1. Burstbuckers are ok, not what I would go with. Ihad an Explorer with a JB and a 59, I would definately do that. If you wanted to stay Gibson, Id go 57 Classics.

2. Not much, the 500T is about the worst pickup I've ever had.

+1 on both points.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 05:23 PM

It'd be pretty much impossible for you to be able tell which pickups are "better", based on our own opinions.

I mean, tone is very subjective. What one person hates, another person will love.

But, I wouldn't go with either set, to be honest. I think they're overpriced, like pretty much everything else Gibson makes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander In The Sun View Post
It'd be pretty much impossible for you to be able tell which pickups are "better", based on our own opinions.

I mean, tone is very subjective. What one person hates, another person will love.

But, I wouldn't go with either set, to be honest. I think they're overpriced, like pretty much everything else Gibson makes.
+1 on that!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 01:54 AM

The JB sounds amazing in the bridge of a Les Paul. I like the Jazz a bit more in the neck than the '59 but that's subjective. Don't put anything with lots of bass and mids like a Breed in a Les Paul. You want bright.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Now I'm thinking maybe PAFs (originals, not PAF Pros) for the classic sound... I know they can do dirty but I'm not sure about hot. Maybe I'll throw like an evo2 into the bridge and maybe Evo in the neck.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:06 AM

I tried an Evo in my LP and it was nice but the pickup I'm really amazed by in my Les Paul is a PAF-pro (F-spaced) It just sounds incredible. I'm really getting away from distortion class pups and going with clean articulate sounding pups.

Tags
les paul , paf pro , paf pros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode