MOVING BEYOND WIZARD NECKS........ - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
NRS

MOVING BEYOND WIZARD NECKS........

Alright, heres the deal. All I've ever played since the late 80's has been Ibanez Wizard necks which always makes transitions between other instruments feel akward. Not only are they thinner than most necks (which may be best for my small hands anyway), but the slight millimeter differences in string spacing at the nut and at the floyd rose bridge always play a big factor too.

Anyways, after not playing much these last couple years (and getting the chance to fiddle withother guitars in between), the Wizards are actually starting to feel a bit too thin to me and I think my brain has finally reset itself enough to find out what natuarally feels best in my hands rather than just what I'm used to. One neck I tried recently that I was very impressed by more than a Wizard was an "Ernie Ball Music Man Petrucci" but cant quite pinpoint why. Its still pretty thin and almost Wizard like, but somehow different. (I think I'm still gonna end up favoring fairly thin necks overall). I hear the newer Wizard II necks are thicker than the originals too so they may be worth a look and I've yet to see what a Prestige is all about.

Doesnt have to be Ibanez though and I think I'm actally on the cusp of building my own custom guitar so have been researching this most crucial component like crazy (covering everything from graphite to compound raduis necks). Its all been a mysterious journey however because few manufacturers even list thier neck specs beyond scale, fretwire, and the width at the nut and last fret. I'm tempted to just go spend a day or two at Guitar Center with some calipurs, a metric measuring tape, and chart. Just thought some opinions here might be a good place to start though seeing as Wizard necks are my best comparitive baseline.

My questions are these:

1) Anyone know where I can find more detailed neck comparison specs among different guitar manufacturers ?

2) Anyone know the exact taper, thickness, or measurment differeces between a Wizard, Wizard II, Prestige, or Music Man Petrucci neck?

3) Is there a common neck out there that many former Wizard users tend to gravitate more toward once the've outgrown thier shredder phase?

4) What other guitar necks do some of you current Wizard fans like just as much not BETTER than Wizards and why?

Thanks

Last edited by NRS; 11-27-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:15 PM

Re: MOVING BEYOND WIZARD NECKS........

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRS View Post
My questions are these:

1) Anyone know where I can find more detailed neck comparison specs among different guitar manufacturers ?

2) Anyone know the exact taper, thickness, or measurment differeces between a Wizard, Wizard II, Prestige, or Music Man Petrucci neck?

3) Is there a common neck out there that many former Wizard users tend to gravitate more toward once the've outgrown thier shredder phase?

4) What other guitar necks do some of you current Wizard fans like just as much not even BETTER than Wizards and why?

Thanks
1) No, sorry

2) I think the Ibanez site has all of their neck dimensions in the description of each guitar

3) I can't speak for everyone else, but the EB/MM Petrucci neck is killer and I have a 93 Les Paul Standard that I love the neck on. Not sure of the shape since my LP knowledge doesnt go that far back.

4)I cant answer this since I rarely play my Ibanez anymore

I know I was absolutely no help, but I think my answer for 2 might get you pointed in the right direction
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:15 AM

Rant On

I just donít see what all the dust up is about on the original wizard anyway. I think it is pretty obvious that the neck was too thin by the number of cracked necks I see and a thicker neck offers better sound anyway. It is not like Ibanez went from the wizard to an acoustic neck or anything. I have four strats with four different necks and while I can tell one is thicker than the other, after 5 minutes I donít even notice. I understand everyone has their preference, but címon, it is just 2mm.

Rant Off
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:18 AM

Im the same, I used a Wizard 2 for 2 years and ive been using a super wizard for the last year and i allready cant use any other neck. Its that flat spot on the back of the neck that gets you hooked and then you cant play anything that doesnt have a flat spot or as much of a flat spot, it changes the way you play because you can grip your thumb on it really well, the bubinga on the super wizard has a similar effect because its fairly rough and grippy going across the grain.

Neck thickness is all personal taste, I really can only play an original wizard or its way too uncomfortable and i get cramps in my hand.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:23 AM

I've got the EBMM Petrucci 15 radius and flat on the fingerboard/front and slightly more rounded on the back. A very smooth and comfy neck that I would deem transition worthy if you're coming off of playing Wizards. This neck is the most "RG like" in terms of non Ibanez guitars that I own.
I also have a Jackson PC 1 which is a really nice neck. Compound radius, starts out like a 12 at the nut (more like an LP) but by the 15th position its more like a 16 (dead flat and very wide) with HUGE fret. The back of this neck is more substantial than the MM's or Ibanez necks. Think CHUNKY original spec Beck strat or LP reissue chunky, but in a really comfy way.
Also have a LP '1960' Classic model (2001 model '1960 Classic' stamped model) with a thin taper neck. Its a 12 radius and really comfy. A nice departure if you're looking to get away from anything shredder bolt-on style, but still very speedy.
I don't really have the largest of hands and I find them all comfortable without much, if any, after thought or adjust to my technique.
Can't say I've outgrown my shredder phase, just broaden my concept and definition of the boundaries of what shred is.
God bless,
Kev
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
NRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Rant On

I have four strats with four different necks and while I can tell one is thicker than the other, after 5 minutes I donít even notice. I understand everyone has their preference, but címon, it is just 2mm.

Rant Off
Ahh, but I only have the same two Wizard Necks that I've ****ed for nearly 20 years. In retrospect it was foolish not to experiment with a little more variety all that time, but none the less its where I'm at right now and 2mm one way or the other may very well make all the differece to me in the long run or maybe not. Thats what I'm here to find out though.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:43 AM

Well If the 2mm is really that big a deal to some, then a little sand paper is all you need.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:47 AM

I think the old wizards are reenforced, and have stronger wood to cope with the thinness, otherwise I would sand down all my W 2s.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
NRS

Funny thing is, I already bought one of those OLP Music Man Petrucci knock offs hoping the neck would be the same, but its not. More typical Fenderish I'd say but thats not a bad thing cause now I'll have a bit of leeway to sculp the neck any way I want it. (So yeah, the sandpaper is definately coming out).

Thanks for some of your suggestions JackButler. I'll definately look for that Jackson compound radius too give a whirl.

Last edited by NRS; 11-28-2006 at 02:31 AM.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:40 AM

Just to confuse things a little more, the Super Wizard and Ultra necks on the J-Customs are completely different from the normal Super Wizard and Ultra necks as they both have a assymetrical contour/profile like the Music Man Axis/EVH & Peavey Wolfgang.

I also find that the original wizard neck is sometimes too thin, but at the same time I also have long fingers so the super wafer thing necks cramp my hands sometimes.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 05:46 PM

Thank you NRS! Glad I could offer some help.
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
NRS

I found a great use for my Wizard neck!

Since I'm not really ready to risk sanding down any thicker neck I own right now (untill I know exactly what I want) and since the Wizard neck is just so gosh darn thin, I instead began experimenting with building up layers of electrical tape on the back of it to try and find out what I like. I'm finding some suprising results.

So far I found the thickness and taper behind the B and high E strings is perfect, but after that I tend to want to build up gradual layers in 1/4" incriments moving toward the low E. (yet without sacrificing too much flattness on the back) so something asymetrical may really be my ticket. I'm also seeing I like more a tighter radius rounded shape up by the A and low E which would explain why I liked the EBMM Petrucci so much.

Lastly I've applied an extra two layers of tape from about seventh fret to the top and one additional layer from about the third fret up on top of that making the overall thickness of the neck a little more uniform down its entire lenth. (I found much of the thinness I did'nt like was mostly up by the top). At its thickest point however, theres really no more than about 5-6 layers of tape anywhere, proving that just a subtle 1-2 mm thickness increase really can make all the difference!

I'd highly reccommend this techniqe to anyone whose not quite satified with thier Wizard neck and wants to experiment. The electrical tape peels up really easy when your done too.

Any Ibanez or other neck out there reccommendable based on the above info I just provided? Thanks
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRS View Post
4) What other guitar necks do some of you current Wizard fans like just as much not BETTER than Wizards and why?

Thanks
I personally switched to ernie ball axis necks for the finish alone. It's so smooth and its profile is really nice too. As for the profile i hear this is a somewhat accurate diagram.

It is classified as E.B. Contour - Asymmetrical .850".

I think the necks were developed by EVH and Sterling Ball when Eddie had a signature model with them.

Hope this helps! It is a great feeling profile and what it lacks in thinness it makes up in finish. It also feels a whole lot better for chording than the wizard. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by Kontalonis; 11-29-2006 at 06:47 PM.
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
NRS

Yeah, I've tried those. They're still a bit thick for me but I'm really starting to understand what a great concept it is. Now if I could only find one a bit more Ibanez like.........
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 10:17 PM

hello, i`m a wizard lover, but i have a jpm too and the jpm neck always seems too thick for me. you should try it.

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , ebmm axis , ebmm petrucci , ernie ball , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , fretboard radius , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jpm neck , les paul , les paul standard , music store , neck dimensions , nylon strings , peavey wolfgang , prestige wizard , prs guitar , prs guitars , sam ash , steel strings , viper neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode