Moving large collection cross country - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Moving large collection cross country

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but it does involve Ibanez guitars

So, I need to move about 100 Ibanezes over 1800 miles within the next 6 months and potentially store them for a year or so. Anybody have any experience with this?

Something like PODS storage where they could take care of moving and storage would be ideal, but even with insurance that seems like a lot of risk if something were to happen, and the coverage they offer has some holes in it. A U-Haul could work but I'd probably have to do the drive alone, and worry about driving a vehicle that big with that much value inside through long stretches of country, not to mention I need to drive my car there too and that's a lot of driving.

So I'm leaning towards a professional moving company, or shipping them individually (in groups of 2/4/6/8, whatever is most cost/time effective). I don't have a whole lot else to move, so I can focus on getting the guitars there safely. I plan to rent for 6 months to a year before I find a more permanent residence, so I will likely want to store them during that time once they're there. Which bring PODS back into the debate and whether the convenience is worth the risk...

So basically I'm just looking for some input to steer me towards a decision, or hoping somebody mentions something I haven't thought of. I've been going back and forth on this and can't decide the best way to pull it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: Moving large collection cross country

Sorry, but I can't get past the part about 100 Ibanezes.......
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Vendor

U Haul, and tow the car behind, just 1 trip and you're in control the entire way. It's the only way I'd do it. But, you still want to treat them as instruments and keep the shock to a minimum. I'd get some 1-2" foam and load them vertically. NJFC's come easily with old basswood and shock.
post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Sorry, but I can't get past the part about 100 Ibanezes.......
Me neither... that's an insane collection...
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:39 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
U Haul, and tow the car behind, just 1 trip and you're in control the entire way. It's the only way I'd do it. But, you still want to treat them as instruments and keep the shock to a minimum. I'd get some 1-2" foam and load them vertically. NJFC's come easily with old basswood and shock.
That sounds like a good plan to me - 1 trip and in control...I think I'd want to be in control too because I would be nervous about shipping so many guitars
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the input Rich! I don't think I could do U-Haul, I have no experience driving a large truck, much less towing a car, and if one thing goes wrong then not only would the entire collection be at risk but also my car. And they don't offer nearly enough coverage to make me feel comfortable. If it were 10 or 20 guitars I'd feel comfortable doing it myself, but with this magnitude I think I'd rather pay someone else to take some of the responsibility off my hands.

I think I'm still leaning towards shipping, I've never seen a properly packaged guitar get damaged during shipping, and even if a couple do get damaged the claims would be relatively straight forward since I'd be on the shipping AND receiving end. Another big benefit of shipping is that splitting them up significantly minimizes the maximum possible risk due to a single event. And if they end up sitting in storage for a year or more, I can just leave them in shipping boxes so they have that added layer of protection and will be easy to move, or even re-ship, to a house.

I haven't done enough research on the costs/coverage/etc of professional moving companies yet. Still considering that. Packing that many guitars takes a LONG time. Trying to minimize risk/effort/cost... in that order.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 PM

You can store them at my house. I will take really good care of them. Humidity controlled room and plenty of love.
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Vendor

That's not a large truck, a 10' bed will take 100 guitars and the chances of an accident driving carefully for 1800 miles is as low as it can possibly be. Towing is nothing, just avoid backing up if you're no good at it.

Claims? Evidently you've never had to file many because the hoops are huge and the chances of approval are miniscule, much less the amount of time and materials it would take to pack 100 guitars right. But, if they were my guitars every one would be bubble wrapped before loading into the truck anyway just to protect case rubbing, and I'd use 2" foam to cover the floor.
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's not a large truck, a 10' bed will take 100 guitars and the chances of an accident driving carefully for 1800 miles is as low as it can possibly be. Towing is nothing, just avoid backing up if you're no good at it.

Claims? Evidently you've never had to file many because the hoops are huge and the chances of approval are miniscule, much less the amount of time and materials it would take to pack 100 guitars right. But, if they were my guitars every one would be bubble wrapped before loading into the truck anyway just to protect case rubbing, and I'd use 2" foam to cover the floor.
True, I haven't had to file many claims, but I have shipped/received a lot of guitars and any claim problems I've run into seem to be caused much more by miscommunication, timing, and procedural issues, none of which would happen if I was shipping them to myself. I have a lot of confidence and trust in the shipping companies and I'm not convinced the added risk of shipping vs driving 30+ hours is anything more than negligible.

And like you're saying, I'm surely going to spend the time to bubble wrap the crap out of them regardless so what's a little extra effort taping up some boxes? I've done the drive before in 27 hours straight, in a fast car and on a mission, I'd imagine it would take closer to 35 hours in a truck (even more if I avoid mountain passes) which would mean two nights in a hotel with everything sitting unprotected in the parking lot. Maybe I'm paranoid but I consider that just as risky as shipping.

So I guess I don't feel like keeping everything in my control is the best way to minimize risk here. Driving carefully doesn't stop deer or weather or drunk drivers. My car is not exactly a junker either, I'm not sure if you could even convince me to tow it that far by itself. So with all that and the significant amount of extra effort it would require, I think U-Haul is out of the question.
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
You can store them at my house. I will take really good care of them. Humidity controlled room and plenty of love.
Haha, unfortunately you're in the wrong direction
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Vendor

They have trailers to put your car on, but I'd just use a regular tow rig. Driving a truck is no more dangerous than driving a car, less most likely as you'll be driving slower and you're in a much bigger vehicle. The only thing you have to worry about is a bigger truck

The gates lock, and you back it up to a building where nobody can even get to the door. And not that the cost means much to you but you've got $6000 in shipping and maybe another $1000 in packing against $1000 in the U Haul and $500 in packing.

Evidently you're just against the idea so I'm not sure why you listed it as an option to begin with. But you probably considered it because it is the best option
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
They have trailers to put your car on, but I'd just use a regular tow rig. Driving a truck is no more dangerous than driving a car, less most likely as you'll be driving slower and you're in a much bigger vehicle. The only thing you have to worry about is a bigger truck

The gates lock, and you back it up to a building where nobody can even get to the door. And not that the cost means much to you but you've got $6000 in shipping and maybe another $1000 in packing against $1000 in the U Haul and $500 in packing.

Evidently you're just against the idea so I'm not sure why you listed it as an option to begin with. But you probably considered it because it is the best option
Lol, yes I am admittedly against the idea. Main reasons: inadequate coverage, they only cover cargo up to $25k, and that coverage costs extra. Secondly, if something goes wrong, everything is at risk at the same time. If the truck starts on fire in the middle of the desert, there goes a huge part of Ibanez history, I don't even want to give that a chance to happen. Thirdly, like I mentioned I'm probably going to be storing them for a year after the move, so I'm also considering the cost and effort to store or move them a second time, which would be easier if they were already packaged.

With the cost of truck rental + coverage + gas + loading/unloading help + hotels I'm sure the final price of a UHaul would be north of $2500, not including the 40+ hours of my time which I value at least another half of that, more actually considering the high stress and pain-in-the-ass factor of driving over the Rockies. So I guess it's not really an option. The more I think about it the more I dread doing that drive in a truck.

$6k is way high for shipping, I think I could find a way to do it under $4k. 100 guitars is approximate, I don't have cases for them all, some are parts guitars and don't require delicate handling. Actually now that I think about it I could just disassemble all the cheaper Roadstars and RGs, and sell all the cases that aren't original or otherwise valuable. It would cost me a lot in strings but save way more than that in effort whether I ship or drive.

Another potential option would be renting an SUV and driving the most valuable ones there myself, and PODS-ing the rest, or something like that. If I can find a moving company that could do it fully insured for $6k I'd probably just go that route. Like I said I still have to look into my options there.
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 PM
Vendor

I wouldn't pay a dime for insurance. If you're worried about a fire buy a big extinguisher to put in the cab

Help? You're going to hire help to put 100 guitars into and pull out of a truck?!

You're going to spend the time packing no matter how you look at it. You're going to spend the time driving no matter what you drive. So it's a few more hours in a truck. $3500 for a few extra hours? Pretty good pay in my book.

I was calculating the shipping insurance as something worthwhile, not a gaggle of 80's Roadstars nobody cares a whole lot about, except maybe you. Unless they mean a lot to you they're not worth moving. Maybe you could take this as an opportunity to figure out what is actually important to you and trim the fat off the hog.
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 11:28 PM

A U-Haul truck and car dolly would be my choice too. Towing with a car dolly is not that bad. I did it with no towing experience years ago. The only real risk would be a break-in to the truck... and they make some nice round locks that you can't cut with bolt cutters. Either way it's a massive undertaking, but I cannot imagine boxing and shipping that many guitars. It's tough finding one good box for shipping a guitar. Just my 2 cents.. and worth every penny!
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I wouldn't pay a dime for insurance. If you're worried about a fire buy a big extinguisher to put in the cab

Help? You're going to hire help to put 100 guitars into and pull out of a truck?!

You're going to spend the time packing no matter how you look at it. You're going to spend the time driving no matter what you drive. So it's a few more hours in a truck. $3500 for a few extra hours? Pretty good pay in my book.

I was calculating the shipping insurance as something worthwhile, not a gaggle of 80's Roadstars nobody cares a whole lot about, except maybe you. Unless they mean a lot to you they're not worth moving. Maybe you could take this as an opportunity to figure out what is actually important to you and trim the fat off the hog.
Haha, I definitely get what you're saying Rich and do appreciate your advice, but for me the value of effort and stress is a lot higher. Another thing I didn't mention is, from their current location the guitars will have to go down a flight of stairs, 200-300 feet through several narrow hallways, down a slow elevator (or another narrow flight of stairs), 3 doorways, and then up some more stairs just to get outside, then however far away the truck is parked. I remember moving in, it was not fun and my collection was half the size.

If I really trimmed the fat I could probably get it down to 70, a solid 30 are rather prized, while another 40 or 50 are still rare guitars but more in the $500-1500 range. But most of that 40 or 50 I'd probably still be willing to take apart. I wouldn't disassemble a JEM10th or a fancy lawsuit copy, but I don't really see a problem with disassembling a JEM7VSBL or an RG3120 for example.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode