Munky's New 7-string - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Munky's New 7-string

I noticed in the videos on the CD that came with the latest Guitar World (Feb. 2005) that Munky's playing a new custom 7-string. It's an RG shape, looks like either rosewood or ebony board, bound neck and headstock, no inlays, all flat black (headstock and body), 1 volume, blade selector (not sure if it's 3 or 5 way, I'm assuming 3) and 2 EMG pickups (not sure if they're 707s or 81-7s).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 04:32 PM

Re: Munky's New 7-string

got any pics? i always thought he has some of the coolest 7s
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 05:27 PM

when I first read this, I thought "korn using emg's? hell no" but sure enough, just popped in the cd and holy ****, munky's guitar sure enough has emg's in it. :-O I would NEVER have imagined korn would use emg's in my life, it just doesn't seem like the bright and edgy tone from an emg would go well with their darker sludgier tone. Awesome guitar nonetheless, still drooling over it...also, is it just me or does munky's guitar have a fixed bridge instead of the floating floyd rose?
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:16 PM

Someone get some pictures of this thing. I have a hard time believing that Munky would have EMGs, after using so many low-output pickups.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache713
when I first read this, I thought "korn using emg's? hell no" but sure enough, just popped in the cd and holy ****, munky's guitar sure enough has emg's in it. :-O I would NEVER have imagined korn would use emg's in my life, it just doesn't seem like the bright and edgy tone from an emg would go well with their darker sludgier tone. Awesome guitar nonetheless, still drooling over it...also, is it just me or does munky's guitar have a fixed bridge instead of the floating floyd rose?
The EMGs definitely give him a more edge-y sound, but Korn's always been great for complementary tones. You'll notice in the videos that Munky's tone is bright, and Head's tone is really dark, and together they end up sounding really heavy.

I still liked their Follow the Leader tones the best.

And yeah, it looks like a tune-o-matic/string through body hardtail to me.

post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:15 PM

was just about to say I didnt know how to post, but two hands has it covered
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
The EMGs definitely give him a more edge-y sound, but Korn's always been great for complementary tones. You'll notice in the videos that Munky's tone is bright, and Head's tone is really dark, and together they end up sounding really heavy.

I still liked their Follow the Leader tones the best.

And yeah, it looks like a tune-o-matic/string through body hardtail to me.

dude, that guitar looks SO good in those pictures. And you're absolutely right, head's tone is very dark compared to munky's edgy tone and it sounds awesome mixed together. That guitar munky has is making me want to get one of those new schecter 7-string damien's when they come out really bad(extended scale, set neck, all black, comes with emg hz's but i'd put an 81-7 and 707 in there quickly)
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 12:26 AM

Thats crazy, never thought KoRn would use EMG's and i just orded a 707 earlier today to go with my new 2000 RG7620 which kicks the hell out of my old RG470.
I wanted to get the K-7 but don't like the idea of using theri signature guitar because it's feels like i'm trying to rip off KoRn. So I just picked up the 7620 and was going to put EMG's instead of the kind they used to use but now that idea's kinda gone.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache713
dude, that guitar looks SO good in those pictures. And you're absolutely right, head's tone is very dark compared to munky's edgy tone and it sounds awesome mixed together. That guitar munky has is making me want to get one of those new schecter 7-string damien's when they come out really bad(extended scale, set neck, all black, comes with emg hz's but i'd put an 81-7 and 707 in there quickly)
Schecter 7 string damiens, with EMGs? I cldnt find any info on these anywhere, cld u post a link please?
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:12 AM

Man I totally can't stand that guy! However that is a cool looking guitar. I have never heard EMG's on a 7 string,,, must admit I'm curious now.

~A
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 09:46 AM

Now that is what I call a gorgeous guitar, thats just my kinda of guitar! Blacker than black, with EMG's and an ebony board! Now thats what Ibanez should be releasing! That would be the guitar I would build if I had the choice.
That and a 6-string version the same. Thats all I would need for life!
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 10:27 AM

Anyone up to task of ripping the video and torrenting it, or putting it someplace to download?

Asking a bit much, but dang that's impressive.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle-axe
Schecter 7 string damiens, with EMGs? I cldnt find any info on these anywhere, cld u post a link please?
Look in the february issue of guitar world, they're on page 85
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 01:53 PM

If anyones up to ripping that video I can host it for them
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 01:57 PM

Guys, ripping the video and distributing it without GW's permission is copyright infringement.

Guitar World probably spends a lot of money on producing the videos and the CDs that accompany their magazine, and they count on circulation numbers to keep the advertisers happy, which keeps the magazine in business. If you rip off their content and distribute it on your own, you're breaking the law and hurting their business, because people then have little reason to go and buy the magazine for themselves.

It's a $5 magazine. Go buy it. Please.

Tags
diezel herbert , ebony board , fixed bridge , floyd rose , mesa road king , output pickup , signature guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode