Music man Petrucci - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Music man Petrucci

Have any of you guys tried the Music man Petrucci model. If so how was it. Compare with the Ibanez petrucci model if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 03:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Music man Petrucci

there was some discussion about this around NAMM at the forum. I don't have a link though. Do a search ...glen
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 12:15 AM

Music man Petrucci

I tried it out at the NAMM show. *But first, my disclaimer - yes, I am biased. * *That being said, I tried the guitar with nothing in mind because I didn't know what to expect. *I just knew that I really liked the neck, pickups and knob placement on Ibanez JPMs. *The EB JPM has a similar neck although the shape has changed a bit I believe. *It is still sleek and fast and has an unfinished feel which I liked. *The pickups sounded very similar to the Ibanez JPMs, only maybe a bit hotter in the bridge pickup. *That is not for certain though, because I was playing on an unfamiliar amp. *The knob placement is basically the same and I still love the 3-way toggle switch. *The piezo sound was great and very versatile since you can play magnetic and piezo together like a Parker. *The new non-locking tremelo is the biggest difference, and has probably been the number one question about the new guitar. *It has a flat plate across the back of it for comfort and it is rear-routed for pull-ups. *I used it for standard vibrato stuff and it stayed in tune just fine. *The bar is also a pull-out type like the Lo-pros. *I did not do any dive-bombs with it so I cannot say how it stays in tune under extreme use. *The guitar also has a scooped out area where your forearm rests. *It's just there for comfort and didn't seem to affect me one way or the other.

The only thing that doesn't appeal to me about the guitar is the headstock, but that's because I like Ibanez and Parker headstocks. *The colors and options are plentiful which I think is a good thing. *The Mystic Dream signature color is an excellent flip from purple to green. *All in all, I was pleasantly surprised with the guitar because the of the 3 things I mentioned previously that are most important to me: neck, pickups and knob/switch placement. *I should mention that I played the 7-string as well and was very impressed. *The neck on them is fantastic and I noticed people visiting the booth seemed to be more impressed with the 7-strings than the 6. *That could be because 7's are the current rage, but I don't think so. *Some really good guitarists sat down and played them and were really impressed.

Hope this helps!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 03:34 AM

Music man Petrucci

Ah... Paul... from JP'f forum... Yup, you are biased... that's for sure... nice to see you here...

But what about the arm cavity? does that make that much of a difference? and the Neck, how is it compared to the Ibanez model?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 02:58 PM

Music man Petrucci

Is that a hand-rest over the trem? How is the neck profile compared to an Ibanez JPM or a Wizard?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 11:29 PM

Music man Petrucci

I'll try to answer what I can here. *Regarding the trem, it's just a flat plate on the trem that makes it more comfortable and smooth. *The neck was very similar to my Ibanez JPM, but I believe it could be multi-radiused. *The scooped arm area was noticeable to my forearm, but I didn't think it was a tremendous difference and would hinder anything. *It was comfortable and easy to play. *I'm going to really go over it with great detail when mine comes in and give a good review. *Unfortunately, that will probably be June as I was told last week. *
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 10:48 PM

Music man Petrucci

what about the thickness of the neck? *I know it has a flat radius (15") but is the neck thinner than the usual music man neck? *I had a Silhouette and it was O.K., but the neck was VERY thick... how does the JP model compare?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 02:02 PM

Music man Petrucci

I've only played a couple other Musicman guitars, so it might not be the best comparison. *But I would say it is definitely thinner than the ones I played. *I know I've played a Luke model before and it was thinner than that from what I recall.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 01:08 AM

Music man Petrucci

I own an EB/MM Luke and an Ibanez Petrucci, and the necks are very different. The Luke has a pronounced offset "V" and a very narrow finger board with medium frets. The Petrucci is thinner through the neck with a nice round "C" shape and a wide finger board with HUGE honkin' frets... I prefer the Petrucci...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 05:39 PM

Music man Petrucci

I've been checking my local shops for a sign of these yet. No luck. Anybody hear any word on when these beasts will begin to appear? I'm dying to try out one of these!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 05:47 PM

Music man Petrucci

I've been told to expect mine to come in around the end of June-seems to be the general ETA. *Can't wait though! *

Tags
bridge pickup , finger board , ibanez jpm , medium frets , petrucci model , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode