Musicman Axis - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Musicman Axis

Hi All-
I have been playing the EVH wolfgang special and the Musicman Axis at GC. They are quite similar, except the special has vintage frets, while the Axis has high profile frets (PUPs are different too).

I love the PUPs on the Axis and the neck better overall. However since I am more of an Ibaneze player, I miss the Jumbo frets. The small frets on the Axis tends to slip out of my fingers.

Would anyone have advise on replacing the Axi frets with jumbo frets?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 AM

Reviews: 10
Re: Musicman Axis

I would not go through that trouble. You will likely adapt quickly to the frets and higher fretboard radius with a little playing. My Axis is one of my best sounding and playing guitars, and I grew up with jumbo frets and flat radius fretboards.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:41 AM

cm_17 nailed it. It's a good idea to become accustomed to switching between different guitar feels, especially if you've ever been caught in a situation where someone hands you an unfamiliar guitar and you felt lost (which happened to me a few times. Urgh). I went to a Marty Friedman clinic once where he didn't bring a guitar: he simply asked that the store provide him with the two best-sounding guitars they could find. He didn't care how they played, what they looked like or what brand they were, just that they sounded good. Then he explained the whole 'not be caught off-guard by an unfamiliar guitar' thing.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks All.

That is encouraging..

I will definitely give this a try.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 PM

Yes I concur with the above - I have an EVH Wolfgang special and it took me less than a day to adapt to the smaller frets and I've been a long time RG550/770 player. The SS frets are much better in my opinion than other materials. I also built an Axis copy with a Wolfgang profile neck from Warmoth with Jumbo SS frets - it is an excellent playing guitar also. I don't even hardly touch my RG's anymore.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 PM

If you end up getting the Axis, also look into getting a little flask each of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and Gunstock Wax, plus some fine sandpaper as described here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24yWr2LRmJY

They come from the factory with only a light coat of oil/wax. I re-did mine after a year as in the video, and let the wax cure a little before rubbing the excess off. The feel of that neck is divine.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for everyone's feedback and helpful suggestions.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:26 PM

awesome vid...can that be done on all rosewood fret boards..what about maple boards..any info on cleaning them ty
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Musicman Axis

On memorial day, I visited GC to purchase the MM Axis. But when I got there, they also had brand new EVH Wolfgang specials out and they were $500 less. I had not spent a lot of time with these models earlier. So spent 2 hours playing both the guitars through a Marshall rig to see which one stood out. I tried hard to convince myself that the MM Axis was the better guitar, but in the end, the EVH Wolfgang won.

What won me over to the EVH was the higher height of the frets. There were no noticeable differences in the sound between the 2 guitars, at least to my ears.

It's been a week now and I can't be happier with this beautiful axe. It plays very well, good harmonics and awesome sustain. Probably the best guitar I have owned. I play it through a THD Univalve.

One thing I would like to try next is the American made EVH Wolfgang. It's twice as expensive, but I don't know yet why it might be a better guitar.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 06:11 PM

Bought an EVH Wolfgang Special 2 months ago too - I absolutely love the sound and playability of this guitar. I tried the American made EVH and it didn't play or sound any better. I honestly don't know why someone would buy the American one over the Japanese made one - its the same neck, same pickups and hardware.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitvai1 View Post
Bought an EVH Wolfgang Special 2 months ago too - I absolutely love the sound and playability of this guitar. I tried the American made EVH and it didn't play or sound any better. I honestly don't know why someone would buy the American one over the Japanese made one - its the same neck, same pickups and hardware.

I thought the American had the Dimarzios?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:53 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt7565 View Post
I thought the American had the Dimarzios?
They have the EVH Frankenstein pickups which I believe are made by Fender.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:16 AM

Glad you found something that spoke to you in exensive comparisons. Such purchase stories are only too rare these days. Enjoy your new axe!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
They have the EVH Frankenstein pickups which I believe are made by Fender.
Cool! I will have to try them when I get the chance.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_17 View Post
Glad you found something that spoke to you in exensive comparisons. Such purchase stories are only too rare these days. Enjoy your new axe!
You bet. Looks like I finally found something that really fits comfortably in my hand. The small fret board- compared to the Ibanez axes- do make a difference. I regret not having got this earlier.

Tags
evh special , musicman axis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode