My 2nd swirl. White '89 RG570 with DNA'ish style makeover - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By LMDAVE
  • 1 Post By jemsite
  • 1 Post By LMDAVE
  • 1 Post By yuri1973

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

My 2nd swirl. White '89 RG570 with DNA'ish style makeover

This project was suppose to be complete DNA color makeover, but after several failed swirl dips I had to strip it back down and start over. I was all ready to go but just had to darken the base red enamel used for the dip. Unfortunately I added too much black and ended up with a brownish red tint. I was all ready to go with the dip and that was the last of my red so I went with it. So because of the lack of red in the final swirl, I saw the center pickup being yellow instead of the standard DNA red, so this Quasi-DNA was born.

The neck was a project in itself. I actually routed the DNA lines in (with frets in place) and filled them with a colored epoxy, the standard dot inlays were drilled out and abalone placed in, the small dots are 2mm pearl dots. Came out fairly decent, not anyway as perfect as CNC routed professional done neck, but good enough for this project.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by LMDAVE; 08-21-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 02:20 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: My 2nd swirl. White '89 RG570 with DNA'ish style makeover

nicely done!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:39 AM

Nicely brought back to life! Cool project.

Would never have though to route the lines in the neck (or have the bottle to try it), all credit to you!

RG Bargie
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 PM

Damn! I need a swirl!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Earlier this year I did the above swirl, but I wanted to redo the body because it really wasn't the swirl I was looking for a DNA, so I found another RG570 body and did another swirl. This is the outcome now of the above guitar updated

Last edited by LMDAVE; 08-21-2017 at 11:48 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:16 PM

The improvement in quality is slightly scary if you have only swirled two guitars in your life! The difference is incredible!
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man, I focused a lot more on how to make the pattern I'm looking for before the dip and how to transfer it during the dip. Fun project, but you don't get that many trials to experiment with.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:16 PM

That is pretty damn nice work! I've been googling swirling techniques for the past week and have decided to swirl the butchered finish (not my doing) of my RG760. There are lot of threads, discussion and youtube videos about swirling, but given the end quality of your swirl(s) would mind sharing how you succeeded so well?

Last edited by Keperi; 08-22-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added nice, which I forgot :)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:19 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

awesome work!!!!
LMDAVE likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keperi View Post
That is pretty damn nice work! I've been googling swirling techniques for the past week and have decided to swirl the butchered finish (not my doing) of my RG760. There are lot of threads, discussion and youtube videos about swirling, but given the end quality of your swirl(s) would mind sharing how you succeeded so well?
Thanks guys. I wasn't going to make a video of this dip mainly because the angle I took it came out bad and I also made a major mistake at the end of the dip when I was pulling it out (I didn't clear out the back section, I was probably pretty impatient and eager to get it out). I left the imperfections in the swirl that you can see around the bottom horns.. Anyway, I decided to make the video anyway now.

The placement of the paints and the swirl is in double speed, I find a rectangular tank easier to control what you want to do from a circle tank which tend to create circulation. I was looking for parallel lines and you can see how I achieved that. Also, I laid the red/magenta color down first as the base, I usually start with black. And the reason I added the pink in sparingly after the swirl was because I was having major issues with the pink creating a clear sheen when you swirted it and that basically just made white come through, so I placed it down afterwards to keep it together, and I didn't pick up much of it.

Anyway. Here's the vid:

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:51 AM

awesome job man !!! swirling a guitar body is one of my bucket list thing still ! thanks for the video
LMDAVE likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode