My 440R is going to have completely new pickups! - my little - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

My 440R is going to have completely new pickups! - my little

Since the Radius series does have a "vintage" design, and I'm respraying it to incorporate a nice vintage (cream and black) finish, I decided to have vintage pickups installed on it.

I was searching around, and even DiMarzio's virtual vintage and Seymour Duncan singles didn't really get me. My axe has a SSH config, and I wanted to make the best of it by putting the best in them. Even Lace Sensors weren't really up to the scratch.

So I found this brand of pickups that were a bit pricey for single coils, and one of my friends has had amazing experiences with them: Kinmans.

I e-mailed Chris Kinman, and let me tell you, he's such a great guy. I asked him so many questions before I finally decided, and he answered every simgle one of them patiently.

But would such a pickup be up to the crunch? I tried out my friend's AVn59 on his strat, and the sound was SWEEEEET! beautiful single coil tone, and guess what? His Seymour Duncan Custom Custom Humbucker was noisier than the kinmans singles!!!! I'm not kidding! and the tone was beautiful! I was dead impressed.

So I e-mailed Chris again, and asked him what pickups I should get to get an Eric Johnson kind of vintage tone (like heard in Manhattan) with my SSH config, and he told me: "use my AVn models, but get the 56 model. For your humbucker, to match the output level, use the 59s from Seymour Duncan."

I ordered 2 singles, 1 black and one cream. I said I'd like the cream to match the cream of the duncan humbucker, and he said they'd give me exactly what I want. Now, note: his pickups actually come only in white or black, but you can ask for staining which HE does completely himself. (coffee dunking blah blah blah). This is what I call service.

I'm now waiting for these pickups to arrive, and when they do, I'll have the best tone ever heard on an Ibanez 440R!!!! I'm stoked! new paint job, new pups...

This 440R means a lot to me. It was my first electric, and it's been through hell and back WITH me... and guess what? It's the most solidly built guitar I own... and it's now 9 yrs old... I love this axe :biggrin:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 08:29 AM

My 440R is going to have completely new pickups!

wow glad to hear about your 440R lionel....and how i wish i could do the same with my 540R! :biggrin:
have u tried the emg's?..i have an emg SA on my 540 neck and a S on the middle...these pickups are one of the clearest and quietest pickups i have ever heard in my life honestly!*krrrrnnnnnggggg...* almost chrystal like..
anyway congrats again on your beloved axe!:thumbsup:
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote: from Kelv on 8:29 am on July 16, 2001
wow glad to hear about your 440R lionel....and how i wish i could do the same with my 540R! :biggrin:
have u tried the emg's?..i have an emg SA on my 540 neck and a S on the middle...these pickups are one of the clearest and quietest pickups i have ever heard in my life honestly!*krrrrnnnnnggggg...* almost chrystal like..
anyway congrats again on your beloved axe!:thumbsup:
if you thought EMGs were silent, wait till you hear the kinmans man... single coils! no less!!! :biggrin:

you coming down soon?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 02:33 AM

i would most probably come down around the mid or end of august...still trying to arrange accomodation..so will yer guitar be ready by then? hehe :biggrin: can't wait to see your bloody wicked axes!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote: from Kelv on 2:33 am on July 17, 2001
i would most probably come down around the mid or end of august...still trying to arrange accomodation..so will yer guitar be ready by then? hehe :biggrin: can't wait to see your bloody wicked axes!!!
I think it'll be ready by then... (I hope...) if end of august, hell, the pups would have arrived and you could play the damn thing!!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 10:51 AM

ahhhhhhhhh....how i wish i could bring down a nice shiny axe to show u and make u envious too..u buggeeeerrrr!!!!!!
i'll be bringing down my beat up (but nice playing) RG instead....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote: from Kelv on 10:51 am on July 18, 2001
ahhhhhhhhh....how i wish i could bring down a nice shiny axe to show u and make u envious too..u buggeeeerrrr!!!!!!
i'll be bringing down my beat up (but nice playing) RG instead....
If it's an RG, I'll be fine... If you REALLY want to make me envious, bring the Radius... THAT will make be green! :biggrin:
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 12:12 AM

too bad..i left that baby in UK.....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote: from Kelv on 12:12 am on July 19, 2001
too bad..i left that baby in UK.....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 09:08 AM

cheer up....anyway lionel..this is my plan...guitar shop touring on saturday ...and since many suitar shops will be close on sunday..(i think)..we can jam on sunday?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote: from Kelv on 9:08 am on July 19, 2001
cheer up....anyway lionel..this is my plan...guitar shop touring on saturday ...and since many suitar shops will be close on sunday..(i think)..we can jam on sunday?
Err... This is Singapore... they open 7 days a week... :biggrin: except for one. We have to hit THAT one to check out Melancon and Tech 21 stuff in the morning about 11 am... What time you get here???
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 01:53 AM

what???..wow..singapore is kewl!!...every guitar shop here closes on sunday...dunno why..
i'm arriving on saturday early morning..

Tags
eric johnson , guitar shop , lace sensor , lace sensors , seymour duncan , seymour duncan custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode