My custom guitar thread - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up My custom guitar thread

I'm trying my hand and building my own custom guitar from the ground up. I've never really worked with wood before, but I'm getting better every day. So far, I've been through two body blanks, 4 neck blanks, and 3 fretboard blanks, LOL. But each on is getting much better than the one before it, and I'm learning TONS about woodworking.

I've acquired a bandsaw, router, planes, and other various tools so far, and learning how to use them as I go.

Here's the basic build:

Alder body....RG shape, old style neck joint
Maple neck....much thicker than a Wizard, more like my 08 USA Fender Strat
Jumbo frets
Rosewood fretboard
Gotoh hardtail bridge
Graphtech nut
EMG 85- bridge
EMG 89- neck
One push/pull volume to tap EMG 89
3-way blade switch

I'm unsure about the color, but I'm thinking along the lines of seafoam grean

As of now, here is the progress I've made.

Body- cut out and routed the edges smooth.
Neck- glued the scarf joint and routed the truss rod channel.
Fretboard- going to purchase a new blank tomorrow. While tapering the sides to the proper dimensions, somehow I planed about 1mm too much on one side right at the nut. So to prevent that from happening again, tonight I made a template out of aluminum that I can use a router guide to get the taper at a perfect 42mm at the nut and 56mm at the heel.

Pictures to come tomorrow! Feel free to comment and leave me some words of encouragement

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:30 AM

Re: My custom guitar thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by failsafe306 View Post
. . . I've never really worked with wood before, but I'm getting better every day. . . . and I'm learning TONS about woodworking.

. . . Feel free to comment and leave me some words of encouragement

You have a great attitude! It sounds like you are on the way to producing a cool guitar, but even if you never do, you have already learned a lot and had a great time doing it. Can't wait for the pics . . .
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
You have a great attitude! It sounds like you are on the way to producing a cool guitar, but even if you never do, you have already learned a lot and had a great time doing it. Can't wait for the pics . . .
Thanks Mikey.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 PM

Custom guitar = most rewarding experience/instrument ever, my second one's gonna be done in a little over a week. Best of luck with your buildin'.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 PM

that's great that you are learning to build guitars! I myself have been interested with for a while doing paintjobs and refinishes on guitars but to the lack of tools, I have not been able to get started!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Made some progress tonight. I picked up another piece of rosewood, and sanded/planed it down flat, then used my homemade fretting jig to saw in the fret slots nice and straight, and perfectly spaced. Tomorrow I will be cutting out the rough shape of the fretboard and gluing it onto the neck. Once the glue dries for at least 24 hours, I'll then use my homemade routing template to take the neck/fretboard down to it's final side to side dimensions, and starting to shape the back of the neck.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 AM

Sounds awesome. Keep us posted with some pics!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:35 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by failsafe306 View Post
Made some progress tonight. I picked up another piece of rosewood, and sanded/planed it down flat, then used my homemade fretting jig to saw in the fret slots nice and straight, and perfectly spaced. Tomorrow I will be cutting out the rough shape of the fretboard and gluing it onto the neck. Once the glue dries for at least 24 hours, I'll then use my homemade routing template to take the neck/fretboard down to it's final side to side dimensions, and starting to shape the back of the neck.
Cool! Any details on your fretting jig?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 PM

I want to see your project... post pics!

and good luck!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

I'm searching for my camera to computer cable, I was able to take a few pics last night.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so I got as far as gluing the fretboard onto the neck, and started to shape the top profile. Everything was going swell until the router gouged a HUGE chunk out of frets 22 & 24.

Oh well, sh!t happens right? I bought ANOTHER neck and fretboard blank (this makes #4, lol) and went to work again. Yesterday, I cut the scarf joint and glued it, and today I successfully routed out the truss rod channel, even more precise than the first time. I drew out the neck profile on the blank, and proceeded to do a rough cut out on the bandsaw, leaving 1-2mm of "oops" room to work with. So far so good.

I'm waiting on my fretboard rule from Stewmac to show up, should be here Wed, hopefully. As soon as it gets here, I'll mark and saw my frets, and glue it to the neck.

Getting better every attempt!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:21 AM

Reviews: 10

By the time u finish you'll be able to play your guitar by a nice campfire with all the wood your collecting

It's cool that your taking this project on, all the best to you
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 AM

and you dont forget post pics!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1973 View Post
By the time u finish you'll be able to play your guitar by a nice campfire with all the wood your collecting

It's cool that your taking this project on, all the best to you
Haha I know! Lots of nice maple and rosewood ought to keep the fire going very nicely.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Sounds awesome/want to see progress pics. My only comment is that EMGs really aren't that satisfying after a while-if you want actives Seymour Duncan Blackouts are a huge step forward. Other than that, this sounds really neat.

Tags
alder body , custom guitar , fender strat , hardtail bridge , jumbo frets , maple neck , neck joint , rosewood fretboard , scarf joint , seymour duncan , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode