My Custom RG3520 is almost done! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

My Custom RG3520 is almost done!

Here are some pics of the guitar so far. I still have to have it fretted then I can put some whip cream and a cherry on it and we can eat it.

The Eye Of Ra is made of gold mirror and the scarabs are made of flamed maple to match the "binding" look of the flamed maple on the body of the guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 PM

Re: My Custom RG3520 is almost done!

nice!!
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:52 PM

That is pretty sweet! You must be a Journey fan.
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:56 PM

Eye of Ra you say? My first custom guitar's neck has a thing or two to say bout that :

post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitvai1 View Post
That is pretty sweet! You must be a Journey fan.
Not really. Just an Egypt fan. lol
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:15 PM

I second that notion, as above . I dig the guitar man. I wouldve also gone with flame maple binding on the neck, but it aint my custom hehe.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
Eye of Ra you say? My first custom guitar's neck has a thing or two to say bout that :

Nice. I wanted to find something that would stand out from the ebony fretboard so I went with gold mirror.

You know I was going to have this done in the custom shop at Ibanez but I went through Christopher Woods. Even with an endorsement through Ibanez, the price to get this done was much higher than the price Christopher did it for. Plus after the two flame guitars he built for me and the two LED necks he did for my JS guitars, I trust his work. Not to say I wont get a custom shop guitar done from Ibanez (gotta have that LACS stamp in my collection), its just this is all I wanted done to this guitar. The flame maple scarabs turned out great I think!!
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
I second that notion, as above . I dig the guitar man. I wouldve also gone with flame maple binding on the neck, but it aint my custom hehe.
I cant play with binding on my fretboards. Dont know why.... it just does not feel right to me. BUT if I liked binding on the neck I would have definitely have gone for the flame maple binding there to boot!! Good call!
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:23 PM

Yeah, I dont think ive ever seen a guitar with flame maple inlays, so that's a pretty unique touch. I just went with the abalone on my first one cuz it stands out very well against the cocobolo fretboard.

My second custom guitar has a flame maple fretboard (and mirror vine of life - chrome and green mirror), its a great looking wood for guitar necks/fretboards/inlay work IMO. I heard that Chris Woods does great work but when I was first custom-builder hunting, I sent him an email with a VERY simple question and got an answer 5 weeks later when I had already forgotten that I even SENT that email....so I went elsewhere. If it takes 5 weeks to answer a question by email, it scares me to think how long an actual project might take lol. Very sweet looking guitar though man, egypt themed guitars are killer. Did you have a new fretboard installed on a normal prestige neck, or how did that work out? The headstock inlay looks factory.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:26 PM

In addition, I really like the way you decided to have the scarabs kinda disappear. When I was first deciding on inlay, I wanted to have some other egypt themed inlay (12th fret eye of ra, and then the other frets maybe pyramids or some other egyptian symbol), and I was gona do it that exact way, so it builds to a full inlay on the first fret the way yours does. Very neat.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:45 PM

wow Rik, the guitar looks awesome!!
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 11:59 PM

Reviews: 13

Absolutely amazing.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 AM

WOW !
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 05:48 AM

Very nice. Were you limited to the RG shape, or was that personal choice? Not dissing it, just curious.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 AM

truly amazing!

Tags
beautiful guitar , chris woods , christopher woods , clip lock strap , clip lock straps , custom guitar , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dean markley , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , ebony board , ebony fretboard , edge trem , flame maple , flame maple binding , flamed maple , ibanez guitars , maple binding , maple fret , maple fretboard , pro edge , rikk beatty , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode