My dads 50th, help me make it a blast :D - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

My dads 50th, help me make it a blast :D

My dad will be 50 in the year 2008, that is a while off... but I've had a cool idea for a gift for him, and I feel it will take me a while to find him what I want to get him...

thats where you guys come in...

He's been aching after a fender strat for a while... so I thought I'd do something special for him... I'm gonna try and get him a 1958 Fender Stratocastor. What I need to know, is were the strats in production in '58 I know they were in '56, but I want one that was made in '58 specifically

Can you guys offer any suggestions/help...

cheers

kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 07:26 PM

Strats have been in constant production since 1954.

Why not get him one of the 50th Anniversary models that are currently out? (Just hide it away for four years!) It won't cost you anywhere near as much, and would still have that "50" association with it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

aaaaaah good call
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 08:28 PM

A 58 Strat will be very expensive if its all original!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickz28
A 58 Strat will be very expensive if its all original!
very true, I would go with Darren's advice.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:03 AM

Yep me too, a real '58 strat will cost you a bomb. And thats if you could find one too. Godd luck, let us know what ya do.
Gary - The.Godfather
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 02:34 PM

Currently, a nice condition original '58 Strat will run you between 15 and 20 thousand US dallars. It might also be worth it. One that's obviously been used as a hammer at some point will run you betwwen 8 and 15 thousand, if it's all original. It won't be worth it. Mint, closet classic types are too rare to price tightly, but they'd be over 20 thou anyway. These you wouldn't play anyway, so what's the point? I'd go for a 2 grand Fender Custom Shop '57 relic myself, in sunburst. It'll have all the look, feel, and vibe you could possibly hope for, and believe me, your Dad will freak. I've tried a few, and they are the best of the best, Strat wise. Plus, it's easy enough to find one in a store to check out for yourself. The 50th is a smokin' nice Strat too, but I'd go for the relic at about half the price. You can't go wrong with either of these totally top shelf Strats.
Of course, you might be able to find a '58 tele in nice shape for 8 to 10 grand, if you wanted to go that way. A Tele that old and still totally original is extremely hard to find, but again, relic Tele's, Nocasters and '52s are all out there and very nice.

(BTW, you are a GREAT son )

jim
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Vendor

Saw an original 58' with hardly any finish left on it do $3850 on ebay last year. Looked cool actually, and it's the wood and steel that matters anyway right?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Saw an original 58' with hardly any finish left on it do $3850 on ebay last year. Looked cool actually, and it's the wood and steel that matters anyway right?
That's a steal all right, but maybe of your money. Even if legit at 3850, I can't see you getting the original pups and pots, and who knows what else. If you know what you want, and have done your mountain of research (any less and you are throwing money down that hole), you can save a bundle if you get lucky and stumble on something. I wouldn't go large on an old strat anymore myself, though I might have 5 years ago. And I'd never spend big money on a vintage instrument over eBay, unless the buyer was willing to send it George Gruhn first, and then only after I'd spoken to George on the phone. The relics are just too good and too cheap. And you certainly can't just assume that because an old looking beatup neck says "5-56 TG" on it that Tadeo penciled it in himself way back when There's relic shops everywhere now. And it ain't easy to always have those pot date codes on hand
For me, a relic is the way to go for that vibe/sound.
(P.S. I notice, uber savvy collector that you are Rich, that you didn't bite on that bargain '58 )

jim
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:00 PM

There are three "50th Anniversary" models available right now. The 50th Anniversary American Standard (about US$1100), the American Deluxe (about $1300) and the Custom Shop one (about $3800) that has aged (but not relic) hardware and finish, to make it look like it was kept in a closet for 50 years.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 04:14 PM

My bad Darren, I was only familiar with the one they dragged Abigail Ybarra out of the home to wind the pickups on, which I've heard are very difficult to get/order and cost over 4 grand each. They are very likely all great guitars, as the Fender Custom Shop has been doing some really, really nice work for a few years now. Even the much cheaper Highway One guitars are really nice. Hell, I'm turning 50 in 2011, if anyone wants to get me one I ain't picky
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Vendor

[quote="jim777"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
(P.S. I notice, uber savvy collector that you are Rich, that you didn't bite on that bargain '58 )

jim
I know when to stay out of my element

Everything looked good, everything looked right, but everything is so easy to fake that you nrever do know, even Gruhn gets snaked. The finish did look extremely authentically 40+ years of very rough road. But then those were ebay pics, my money stayed in it's pocket

Tags
custom shop , fender custom shop , fender strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode