My edge pro and tuning - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

My edge pro and tuning

I've just bought my first Ibanez guitar (I already have 2 Ibanez basses though), it's a lovely Rg1570 in Black. I've never used a FR style trem before but have got used to tuning it now, the problem I have though is when I pull back on the trem, edge pro, anymore than a tone the thing goes well out of tune, like each string goes out by about a semi tone. Is this the norm or should I stick to just going down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 06:58 AM

If the guitar is new, implying the strings are also new, then the strings probably need to stretch some. That's a few days of not staying in tune (i.e. play, tune, play, tune, etc). If after some time you're still going out of tune, then check that the locking nuts are tight.

After that, you should check the tech sections just to be sure you have everything setup properly.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Vendor

It takes 15 minites to stretch strings, not days, but I'm betting you're returning sharp which has nothing to do with string stretch.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech.htm#Sets
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Cheers guys, it seems to be better now, I gave it a good half hour intensive crazy slayer style work out and it seems to be better. The tech bit on your site was great thanks Rich. Also I was tuning ok in the beginning but the intonation is a bit out, I'm a bit scared to do anything about it at the moment coz i've just bought it and don't want to do anything stupid like break a part of the trem.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Vendor

Unfortunately there is no intonation tool yet [and may never be with Japan working on it!] so any adjustments will be a long and painfull process. Make sure to have a few cold ones to help ease the pain
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 04:33 AM

i dont see all that pain intonating a guitar with no intonation tool, though it's surely a waste of time.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:09 AM

Could've sworn it took me days of retuning to finally get stable. Wasn't using the trem though.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
i dont see all that pain intonating a guitar with no intonation tool, though it's surely a waste of time.
If you're used to doing it and know about how far the saddles need to move then pulling the trem and doing them all at once isn't too bad, otherwise, it still takes a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur
Could've sworn it took me days of retuning to finally get stable. Wasn't using the trem though.
Then you're not stretching them in enough before you lock down.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Make sure to have a few cold ones to help ease the pain
Did you provide instructions for this in your tech section?
Greg
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
...pulling the trem and doing them all at once...
you need to pull the trem to move the saddles?
and what you mean "doing them all at once"?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 10:41 AM

If you're doing it with a tuner, as most people have to, you can't pull the trem to set the intonation.

You'll have to tune, check intonation, move the saddle sharp or flat, retune, recheck, etc.

If you have what's known as a "jig" to position the saddles, or if you've been doing it for years like Rich has, you can pull the entire trem and set the saddles to about where they should be (by eye) and be pretty derned close, if not right on.

I've painstakingly set the intonation on both of my guitars and cut a makeshift jig from hard plastic based on the positions the saddles are in. Both guitars match, amazingly. :-) I often end up setting up friend's guitars and this little "toy" helps, yes, even for guitars with different types of bridges the positions are almost exactly the same.

If you don't have the patience to do this job (yes, it is frustrating sometimes) have a tech do it. It's worth the money to not have lost all that hair from the aggravation. ;-)

Mic
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 11:46 AM

i'm too setting mine and my friends and clients guitars for years, i've never used any jig, i just go by eye, but i dont need to pull the trem to pre-set the saddles.

i really cant see why the trem should be pulled just for the saddles to be moved back and forth.
can't you use your jig with no need to pull the trem?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 11:49 AM
Vendor

Got an easier way to take all the tension off every string? Pull it, set it, drop it back in and retune, check.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 12:04 PM

i just detune the string slack, move the saddle, then retune the string to pitch.

then i repeat, if needed, with the other strings.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Vendor

Which takes twice as long as just pulling the trem and setting them all at once

Tags
edge pro trem , ibanez bass , intonation tool , locking nut , locking nuts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode