My Ed's Baby #2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

My Ed's Baby #2

There's a thread I made about my original Ed's Baby (#1) - the original of which is commonly known as Frankenstein/Franky etc.

Here's a link, for reference:

Click here to review the thread on my original take on Ed's old monster, reassembled last year

Though still a work in progress, as I'm awaiting a couple of small parts to replace (large brass block for Floyd Rose and correct serial # neckplate) and a slightly different spec Kramer-style Beak neck (my favourite neck on Ed's) this 2nd build allowed me to approach the project with a stronger eye for accuracy and detail.

Links to a few pictures:

Click here for a full front view

Click here for a full back view

Click here for a front body view

Click here for a daylight front body view

Click here for a back body view

Click here for a slightly older shot, taken with it posed by the same Fender replica my #1 was photographed alongside

My build was done mainly using photos of the real thing, as the EVH/Fender replica has a number of what I am pretty certain are deliberate innaccuracies (most likely at Ed's instruction)... especially notable to me is the difference in the wiring tangle in the middle pickup hole, around and attached to the switch shoved down into that hole...

Again, an ongoing process, but the broad strokes are done (I keep telling myself that, anyway, yet I'd kept picking at little bits...)

For those confused - yes, it's just weeks old, basically (started the paint work not long after Christmas, had to wait for this neck to assemble, etc...) but it (hopefully) appears to be a good 30-odd years old.
That was the goal.
=]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:33 PM

Re: My Ed's Baby #2

I can't get your links to work. Looks like Yahoo is having some issues.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Strange; when I was making the post, I previewed and tested each link, and they were fine.

Looks to be the service itself.

Check back later; hopefully it'll be back up.
Otherwise, I'll have to visit another photo hosting service.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Seems to be working now...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 PM

Links work, and the guitar looks great.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks
=]
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 PM

the body looks flawlessly sweet!
on the other hand, i'm not digging the brand new neck, at all.
please relic that neck and make it look vintage, and this guitar will be a beautiful monster!
I'd love to have it with strat headstock style, with relicd' neck.
Keep it up.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments.

As for the neck, there's a lot to address here: the 1983 version of this instrument, at which point he put on the second Kramer-branded neck (the first was a Strat-head with the logo removed) was how it was when I took real notice of Eddie and began absorbing influence from him.
That imprinted on me strongly - that's why my original is a 'Frankenbeak' and so is this one.
Now, Ed's REAL neck was/is actually completely finished - a real oddity for his necks - and so, even though it's MANY years old, it still looks pretty much new to this day. I've seen pictures provided by the fellow who up until late last year owned that actual neck, and I've been able to get other info directly from him. Those pics were completely new, too - he had actually attached that neck to the Fender replica he owned, thereby making, to me and others, the ultimate replica.
However... I don't like playing on a finished neck - I've been hooked on using just Tung oil for yeeeeeears - so I have just that on both #1 and #2. Just couldn't bring myself to go that route.
#1 looks like it does from plain, natural use - I actually tried to KEEP it from getting like that back in the day when that was my main guitar.
So, this one is similarly Tung oiled... and hasn't been played long enough to start really showing that kind of aging.
But it's really /supposed/ to remain pretty new looking - that's more correct.

Now, ASIDE from that, I mentioned above that this neck will actually be replaced on here, as well, with another birdseye beak that is made to slightly different/more correct specs.
That one will also get the vintage Made In _W_ Germany Schallers that I have waiting... this neck was always temporary, so I loaded it with correct-looking - from the front =] - Ping tuners, so that I can just leave those on there when it's time to change it over to the new beak. That one will get a bit of a staining as well, to represent the bit of natural yellowing of the heavy finish that's on the real thing.

The Strat head - there are also a LOT of those around these days (even aside from the 300 Fender replicas) but not nearly as many beaks... which is odd, because there are a LOT of people who share my opinion on favoring that era (US Festival, Jump video, etc.)
That makes this one a little different, as well.... but, come right down to it, I just plain prefer the beak. It's also 22 frets - 2 less than I really prefer, but 1 better than 21 =]

I had actually talked of getting ANOTHER neck as an option to put on there, a replica of the Strat-style head, 21 frets, square heel, the whole thing, because I would REALLY like to do a relic job on the neck to be like the replica's, which represents the condition of the real thing as of right then when Chip Ellis/Fender undertook the project to do the replicas.
... so that's not out of the question, but not a high priority.
... I actually think I'd do a banana head option before I'd do the Strat-head.

Hope that explains my thought process on this.

Re-reading before submitting: ghads, I'm wordy =]

Last edited by steve; 05-13-2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Typo fix
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 AM

Looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
My build was done mainly using photos of the real thing, as the EVH/Fender replica has a number of what I am pretty certain are deliberate innaccuracies (most likely at Ed's instruction)... especially notable to me is the difference in the wiring tangle in the middle pickup hole, around and attached to the switch shoved down into that hole...
Care to elaborate?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
Looks great!
Thanks, much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
Care to elaborate?
On the deliberate changes, you mean?
Just want to make sure that's what you mean, so I don't go off on some tangent, which I'm liable to do... =]
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:17 AM

Reviews: 3

Awesome!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:33 AM

Wow, very cool! Excellent project.

Couple of questions though
-What kind of pickups do you have in it? Is it true that the original bridge pu is a Gibson PAF? what about the neck pu, what do you have in it, and what was in the original?

-What forum do you frequent where people are talking about these?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks - only about 23 years in between the two takes on it =]

The pickup that I have in there is in fact a S.D. SH6 distortion - I ripped the pickup apart and re-built it on a Gibson-style long-leg base plate for direct mounting, and put in the braided cable for authentic appearance... and of course, relic'd the heck out of it.
It was bought brand new for this project =]

The original is apparently a PAF - wax potted by Ed on his stove, apparently - but even still, there's some mystery there (and, as always with him, misdirection...)
But, yes, apparently it is an old Gibson PAF out of a 335, if I recall correctly.

The neck pickup - mine is something I re-dressed myself to appear like the original... I stripped a single coil lying around down to the bobbin and re-dressed it to look like that.
The original - it's almost certainly a Mighty Mite single coil from way back when. And is of course not connected whatsoever.
Mine follows suit.

Last question's answer will be via PM out of respect for the forum.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
On the deliberate changes, you mean?
Just want to make sure that's what you mean, so I don't go off on some tangent, which I'm liable to do... =]
Yep, I'm interested to know which details are changed and why. I'm a details-geek!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Petie - details... off the top of my head:
-the wiring tangle in the center hole with the switch is wrong
-the pickup in them is WAY hotter than what apparently is in the real thing
-there's a slant to the single coil, quite consitent for all of the replicas: looking at it from the front, it runs down and to the left (JFK?) - the real one actually has a slight tilt the other way
-replicas have a large brass spring block on the Floyd Rose (like the old FRs and some aftermarket parts) - the real one no longer has this
-I'm pretty certain that the red colour is a bit off, too - too much into the orange/fiesta range
-there's a theory that Fender used a different variety of Ash - if you hold a replica, they're basically feather-light! I got to hold my #1 and a replica one in each hand, and mine was almost 1.5x the weight of the replica - my #2 is very similar in weight to my #1, and this one is the correct wood (Northern Ash - not swamp ash, as is commonly thought)
-not to nitpick, but the top horn eye screw is positioned differently to the real thing (and the hooks appear to be larger and over-relic'd looking - Ed's are pretty shiny still...)
-some of the relic work is noticably artificial looking (reminds me a bit of the Alex Lifeson one I saw as well - the 'wear' almost looked pixelated...)
-there are elements to the paintjobs that vary some, partly due the the hand-work nature of these things: you can see where sometimes the templating is not aligned exactly right with the previous layer/s - again, not to nitpick, but...
-the reflectors are an issue unto themselves - Chip Ellis explained that some of the ones on the real thing aren't available any longer as the company/ies/ went out of business... so they used what is available currently, the best matches... I took it to the next level by accurizing some reflectors... and then having a major find just a couple of weeks ago - I found a set of NOS round red ones that are EXACT; note the pattern shown in the body-only back view... those are the NOS ones. The long amber ones are still accurized ones I re-worked to strongly resemble the real things.

Having said all that, I am TRULY impressed by the replicas. I got to play one and examine it very closely, photograph it in detail, the whole thing... And I can honestly say, if I had the $$$, I would own one in a heartbeat.
That list above doesn't touch one the MANY things that they got very well... and the neck is a marvel; it feels old, broken in, very comfortable right off the bat.

That's all I can think of at the moment, and some of it can't be helped... but some of it... could.
You just have to look at the advertising specimen(s) to see; the ones that Chip made initially to show the concept and convince Eddie to do the project - THOSE are more accurate than the 300-piece run... just look at the wiring tangle, the colour, etc... and compare to photos of the real thing.

<hands now tired =]>

Tags
alex lifeson , base plate , floyd rose , music store , neck pickup , swamp ash , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode