My Fireman project begins!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Talking My Fireman project begins!!

Well, I ordered the body from Perleguitars, and im currently on the lookout for a nice RG neck...the bridge will be a Gotoh HT, and it will be a HH configuration. I will snag parts here and there, not sure what pickups ill be going with yet.....i have a New JB in another guitar that i never use so im still debating if ill use it..im thinking more like a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge and something else in the neck..mabye a Liquifire or something...i dunno...all hardware will be black. For the finish im thinking of doing either a red stain with Minwax and then their Poly Clearcoat to get sort of the look of Pauls red Fireman with a transparent finish or the honey type shade to match his Korina....jury it still out on that one, i definatley want to do the stain clear route rather than paint though....anyone have any experience with the wood stain products?? I have tru-oiled and gunstock waxed a body before with good results but id really like to dye and clear this one...seems simple enough...a little sanding, then water based pre-stain conditioner, sand down the raised grain, stain, sand, clear and clear again...well see...any tips from the other Fireman guys will be appricated....and if anyone had a nice RG neck im really interested!!! im psyched to get this project started!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 02:59 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: My Fireman project begins!!

Rg5ex1 necks are ALL over the place and pretty decent. Reverse headstock too.
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM

As far as staining goes, just be conscious of what wood your using. I think alot of Perles stuff is poplar which is a little more challenging regarding staining. But theres a couple threads here that show some members have got it down to a science. Make sure you post pics!
post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:13 PM

cant wait for pics!. I used transtint dye and it worked great. plus they have lots of colors.
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Yeah thanks guys...looking for a neck now...question: If im doing a fixed bridge, can i still use a neck with a Floyd nut and just not use the locking scrwes...i dont see why not....just want to be 100% sure before i buy....most of the used necks ive been seeing have a floyd nut...

Aslo about the staining ive been looking into the Minwax water based stuff....using the pre stain conditioner it seems to go on nice and even, ive seen the demos..and then thinking about using their spray poly clearcoat....the body is on the way, and im ready to pull the trigger on a neck if the nut issue is ok!!!
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

I think im also going to get a scrap piece of Poplar and do a test run on the staining...
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigny View Post
Yeah thanks guys...looking for a neck now...question: If im doing a fixed bridge, can i still use a neck with a Floyd nut and just not use the locking scrwes...i dont see why not....just want to be 100% sure before i buy....most of the used necks ive been seeing have a floyd nut...

Aslo about the staining ive been looking into the Minwax water based stuff....using the pre stain conditioner it seems to go on nice and even, ive seen the demos..and then thinking about using their spray poly clearcoat....the body is on the way, and im ready to pull the trigger on a neck if the nut issue is ok!!!
I used a floyd nut for a fixed bridge on my Fireman .. no problem.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I used a floyd nut for a fixed bridge on my Fireman .. no problem.
Cool, i think i found a neck then...
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok body and neck on the way...i went to home depot today, and got the Minwax water based pre stain cond. And water based stain, english oak finish, and the spray poly clearcoat, im shooting for something like Pauls Korina, also got sandpaper, and foam brushes. I also got a piece of Poplar with a very similar grain pattern to the pics that Nate from Perele sent, so I can do a test run and see how it comes out...body should be here monday, and the neck a day ot two later, pics will be in order, ill mock it up....stay tuned, im psyched!!!!!!

Last edited by craigny; 08-20-2011 at 04:34 PM.
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

OK so i did a test run today with the Poplar i bought and the conditioner, stain and ploy clear coat....First is a pic from Nate @ Perle's of the body im getting, then is a pic of a piece right after i stained it compared to the bare wood. I then, shot bout 4 coats of the poly, sanding in between coats...it looks good...pics of the celar coat tomorrow (its drying now) Im happy with the color...body gets here tomorrow so if i think i have what i need...

Here is the actual body i'll be getting..

Then here is the piece I stained with the Minwax English Oak water base compared to the unfinished Poplar so you can see the color(after using the wood conditioner)...couple of pics.

Im only doing one coat of stain because thats the color im lookin for....i will update when the body and neck comes....more pics to follow!!
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:25 PM

Reviews: 5

as far as the neck with floyd nut goes, paul gilbert himself did that with one of his pgm 300's (the one that he converted to a hardtail). so it should be no problem. cant wait to see how it all turned out! for my fireman i used colortone liquid stain from stewmac and the nitro cellulose lacquer for the clear. Cant wait to see how it all turns out!
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Here are a couple of pics on the test piece after like 4 coats of clear poly...if the body comes out like this i'll be a happy camper!

post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:12 AM

How many rattle cans do you think will be needed for the whole body?I think over here, it costs like $14-(Minwax poly spray) each.
I'm Planning to finish my swamp ash RG the same.way.Tho I'll be using amber colortone for staining.
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced_ink View Post
How many rattle cans do you think will be needed for the whole body?I think over here, it costs like $14-(Minwax poly spray) each.
I'm Planning to finish my swamp ash RG the same.way.Tho I'll be using amber colortone for staining.
I don't know about everyone else,, but I go 5 cans. but I'm kinda heavy handed when it comes to sanding. but I'd rather put on a little more than I need . I'd hate to sand through the finish and have to touch up.
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I don't know about everyone else,, but I go 5 cans. but I'm kinda heavy handed when it comes to sanding. but I'd rather put on a little more than I need . I'd hate to sand through the finish and have to touch up.
WOW 5 cans...thats alot of clear....i planned on using what i have left on the can i have and another whole one or two....im thinking like 8 coats or so...i just sanded ever so slightly between coats.....whatever a whole can and a half will do i guess thats what ill end up doing..minwax reccommends at least 3 and i really liked it so far with just 4 so well see

Tags
fireman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode