my first fender - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

my first fender

long story short :
been wanting a classic style guitar for a while, keep looking for AT 100, but hesitate to pay the price, the second alternative : AT10P ? same... I won't pay the brand new price for what is it.
also looked at the used AT10P, the price is not cheap at all, maybe I can get an american standard strat for that price..WAIT! what? american std strat? it seems to be a good idea.

so I scored this 2008 amer std strat, black and white ( my all time fav colors), maple neck, and pretty good condition too.
the fretboard still clean , fretwire is like 75% left, still OK.
the only problem with me is : i don't know anything about this guitar, it's not in my territory, not in my comfort zone.

I also aware that this may not be good for what style I play, but I really do want something different.

so after playing it for a while now, I don't have anything to complain about. Well maybe except for the bridge pickup which is somehow waaaaaay very different than what I have in mind. the ear piercing brightness with full distortion is way too much for me to handle.
maybe this is the only thing I want to change in the near future.
I want something warmer and a little more gain for the bridge pickup, but still having the true single coil character.

candidates are : dimarzio injector and duncan SSL-5.

other than that, it's a very loud guitar, I'm not sure maybe because of its brightness.

playability is very nice for chording, but bending is PITA. I use 9-42 D'addario XL sets.
I still can shred on this what the sound is not really that good...
and definitely this thing is not built ready for djent.

I'd guess the strat is going to be around for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 AM

Re: my first fender

HNDG!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:30 AM

Strats are capable of anything, it's up to you to make it happen.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 11:07 PM

To tame the ice pick of a bridge, wire the middle tone pot to the bridge pickup, so the middle and bridge pickup share a tone pot, then when you have the bridge selected, roll the tone down to about 5-6 and see how that sounds for shred. Btw, nice strat! Wish I had a US Strat lol, I'll make do with my Mexi Strats for now :S
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler96 View Post
To tame the ice pick of a bridge, wire the middle tone pot to the bridge pickup, so the middle and bridge pickup share a tone pot, then when you have the bridge selected, roll the tone down to about 5-6 and see how that sounds for shred. Btw, nice strat! Wish I had a US Strat lol, I'll make do with my Mexi Strats for now :S
unfortunately, the previous owner seems to wired this guitar to be no load tone.
even I roll down the tone #2 to minimum, it has no effect to the bridge pickup.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 05:29 AM

Stock most starts don't have the bridge pickup truck it's to the tone knob, wheeler is telling you one way to change that. My main strat has 3 Duncan rails pickups (hot, cool and vintage) wired to an S1 switch to tap all the coils at once, the second tone knob wired to the bridge pickup and I just replaced the first tone knob with a kill pot. That guitar can do almost anything
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
unfortunately, the previous owner seems to wired this guitar to be no load tone.
even I roll down the tone #2 to minimum, it has no effect to the bridge pickup.

best mod on strat :
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/simplebtone.php

you'll need an additional cap to make it work.

About changing the pups : DO NOT DO IT.

You got plenty of shreddy guitars already, if you mod this to be a shreddy strat, you will have NO reason to not choose your Ibanezes, and thus make the strat obsolete.
If however you keep the strat STOCK, you will always come back to this strat for all the vintage tones.

Been there done that, I wish my strat was stock. My modded strat has 3 DMZ mini HBs (chopper, fast track 1, fast track 2), has added bridge switch to all positions, has series parallel wiring for bridge/neck, has no load tone pots, still..... i dont play it as much as if it was stock. Modding a strat is OK if you dont have many guitars. If you have lots of them, then keep your strat traditional and pure. (maybe with the bridge tone control added as the only mod).
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
best mod on strat :

...long text about mods to strats...
You could just replace the bridge

This is an American Special with the stock middle and neck, but with a SD Lil '59 in the bridge. To not lose the charm of the Middle + Bridge sound, I added a simple On-Off-On switch to split the humbucker.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:24 AM

I have one of those Carvin replacement guards that came with the 3 singles and a master tone. 5 way switch, but also a treble pickup on off so you can play neck and bridge at once. the pickups are slightly warmer than stock fenders, but still sound great. It's a Mexi Strat body, US bridge (which requires ne screw holes to install) and a Charvel 1A neck.

Like this:

and a crappy whole body shot with SpongeBob

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I have one of those Carvin replacement guards that came with the 3 singles and a master tone. 5 way switch, but also a treble pickup on off so you can play neck and bridge at once. the pickups are slightly warmer than stock fenders, but still sound great. It's a Mexi Strat body, US bridge (which requires ne screw holes to install) and a Charvel 1A neck.

Like this:

and a crappy whole body shot with SpongeBob

Man, I'd love to have one of those! If I could find a nice Charvel neck like that I'd have it on my Strat so fast...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advise guys, I think it's worth to make the tone#2 work first, see how it goes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
best mod on strat :

you'll need an additional cap to make it work.

About changing the pups : DO NOT DO IT.

You got plenty of shreddy guitars already, if you mod this to be a shreddy strat, you will have NO reason to not choose your Ibanezes, and thus make the strat obsolete.
If however you keep the strat STOCK, you will always come back to this strat for all the vintage tones.

Been there done that, I wish my strat was stock. My modded strat has 3 DMZ mini HBs (chopper, fast track 1, fast track 2), has added bridge switch to all positions, has series parallel wiring for bridge/neck, has no load tone pots, still..... i dont play it as much as if it was stock. Modding a strat is OK if you dont have many guitars. If you have lots of them, then keep your strat traditional and pure. (maybe with the bridge tone control added as the only mod).
I completely agree, I'm not looking to mod my strat to be super strat or some short of, but I think I can use a little more gain to warm up the bridge pickup.. just a little bit,not needing a super hi gain bridge pickup on this.
also I want the true single coil tone , not a humbucker in this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

guys, please educate me about the delta tone system?

I know this strat suppose to had it, but it seems previous owner done something funny on this.
as I mention earlier, the tone #2 has no function at all.

edit : if my understanding was correct : the delta tone system is : when you put your tone #2 at maximum ( or 10), the tone act like a no load tone , or by pass, so the bridge pickup will direct to output.
but when roll down to below 10, it acts like a normal tone pot for bridge pickup?

Last edited by psychoshredder; 07-27-2015 at 10:44 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 04:48 AM
Banned

You may measure the resistance of the second tone pot. It should go from 0->250- at 10-, and then at 10 it should read +infinity. That is the way no-load pots are supposed to work.

Tags
american standard , fender , stratocaster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode