My first home build guitar. Ibanez Custom V with ZR. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9
My first home build guitar. Ibanez Custom V with ZR.

Hey all,

I thought I'd share my first "real" guitar project with you all. To the luthiers in here, please don't laugh at me too hard! It's my first time...I'm sure a lot can be improved. I have learned a lot and the next guitar I build will be better as I know what NOT to do.

I bought the neck on ebay without knowing anything about Ibanez parts, so I bought an RG320DX neck made in Indonesia...If I had known better, I would have gotten a Prestige neck, or at least a MIJ neck.

I didn't take any pictures of the body when I got it. It was just a triangle of mahogany.

Just test fitting the neck.

Properly routed for the ferrules.

Started routing the pickup and trem cavities. The trem stud spacing took a lot of trial and error on a piece of scrap wood as I didn't have exact measurements.

Cut too much off the top here. =( Nothing a cavity cover can't hide...

S style input jack...I like it here best.

Ready for wiring.

Final product. I decided not to paint it. But I still might in the future.

You can't tell in the pictures, but I scallopped frets 12-24. I was told by a professional tech that I did a really good scallop job...He asked if I had done it before.

The pickup is a DiMarzio Evolution. Also, having had a ZR1 equipped guitar in the past, I knew of the arm socket issues, so I got a Schaller arm socket and bar. It's a direct replacement and I love it more than even a ZR2 arm socket.

Critiques and comments welcome, but please remember, this is the first guitar I have ever built. So don't tear me a new one if you don't have to lol!

Thanks,

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Re: My first home build guitar. Ibanez Custom V with ZR.

I like, very very very nice man
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 PM

Reviews: 1

Looks like a pretty awesome start to me.. How about a Lochness Green paint job..
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 PM

Mega cool! Reminds me of an ESP Alexi V but your cutaway actually gives you access to 24th fret unlike the Alexi. Plus, its scalloped

Awesome stuff!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Hmmm Lochness green. That's a pretty cool idea...

The Alexi signature was actually my inspiration. A couple years ago, I was going to trade a Korean made S series for an Alexi 200. When I picked up the Alexi, it just didn't feel solid to me. When I pushed the trem bar down, one of the trem springs popped off...I declined the trade offer right at that moment. So I decided to make this to my specs lol!

It's funny though...Not even a year after I built this, I'm discovering how much I like neck humbuckers. Ah well...The next project will have everything I want.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Fair play to you man, that is a fantastic job. I'd buy that!!!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:16 PM

for a first attempt you probably couldnt ask for a better job! really impressed! this is the sort of thing i aspire to attempt in time to come!

as for the 320 indo neck - i wouldnt worry too much at all. its cheap, and (unsure whether its a wizard 2 or 3) a whole 1mm thicker than a MIJ wizard! :P you'll still be able to shred on it without any issues!

my only suggestion if you're gonna leave it natural would be to clearcoat the body with something, just to make it look slightly classier than bare wood!

big thumbs up dude!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback! It's just one of those things you need to dive into. Expect to make mistakes. After all, mistakes are the best way to learn. I should have started on a cheap piece of wood, but I'm happy with the final result.

The Indonesian neck doesn't bother me too much...It's just that the craftsmanship is not as good as some MIJ necks I have. The action is perfect for me and plays very well. Now I really like scallopped frets!

I might stain it a red-ish hue and then clear coat it...Still figuring out what I want to do.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:25 PM

Reviews: 17

Looks great man ! Congrats on a finished product!

I'm going in to building guitars too, I should be getting a router soon not sure what else i'll need....
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedabob View Post
Looks great man ! Congrats on a finished product!

I'm going in to building guitars too, I should be getting a router soon not sure what else i'll need....
what kind of router you looking at? since we dont get the insanely cheap prices that our american cousins do! :P

id also say a decent palm sander would be a good investment!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM

Reviews: 10

wow, that's impressive for your first build...very nice work man!!!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:10 AM

Reviews: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybaby1985 View Post
what kind of router you looking at? since we dont get the insanely cheap prices that our american cousins do! :P

id also say a decent palm sander would be a good investment!
I have noticed haha, That is why I'm on eBay everyday searching for one near me, hoping for a DeWalt or something similar for under 50 :P

I actually have a palm sander! Just need to get a better Air Compressor !

Is a bandsaw really necessary or can a body be cut with just a router?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:36 AM

i say high gloss tung oil the body how it is and call it done. awesome job maing \m/
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

I don't think you need to get air powered tools for this stuff. I used a 40 year old router to cut the body out and route all cavities. Then I used an electric palm sander to add the subtle curves from the center of the body to the outside of the fins.

I recommend a sturdy table, well ventilated work space, and clamps to hold the body down while you are working. I used a couple more tools that I can't think of right now...If you run into a speed bump, you might have to make a run to the hardware store...I did many times. :P
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedabob View Post
I have noticed haha, That is why I'm on eBay everyday searching for one near me, hoping for a DeWalt or something similar for under 50 :P

I actually have a palm sander! Just need to get a better Air Compressor !

Is a bandsaw really necessary or can a body be cut with just a router?
have a look on gumtree.com mate - online classifieds for the UK. pretty good for bargains!

and id say if u can mark it out and take it to a local carpenters or woodyard and get them to do it for a fiver!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode