My first Ibanez is celebrating it's 18th birthday this month - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
My first Ibanez is celebrating it's 18th birthday this month

I just realised last night that my first "real" electric guitar and first Ibanez is celebrating it's 18th birthday this month.

I bought my 1995 Ibanez RG 470 in June of 1995, after looking at some crazy BC Rich's and some Yamahas. Man I'm glad I didn't go with a BC Rich! At least 16 year old me was thinking ahead at what might be the "better" looking guitar long term.

This guitar has been through hell and back with two (yes two) neck cracks, bridge upgrade from the worn out LO-TRS II to a 1987 long block Edge with a D-Tuna, and routing to accomodate it. It recently got to sport a titanium block, which is an awesome upgrade.

The pickups went from the stock INFs to EMGs, and now Duncans. The Custom/Quarter Pound Flat/Pearly Gates Neck sound brilliant in it. The tone pot was removed and I installed a blower switch in its place. I never use tone controls, so this is much more useful to me.

I was lucky enough to score a Japanese Wizard neck with this guitar new. I don't know what happened there, maybe the neck broke in transit and the MIJ neck was all that was available. Maybe the Korean factory was down on necks for some reason. At any rate it's pretty awesome to get this neck with the guitar.

The frets are almost completely worn out, but it still sounds and plays awesome. I'm going to have to re-fret it at some point, if I ever have the money to do it.

Just thought I'd share this. This was my only electric guitar for many years, and has been through a lot with me.

Last edited by LonePhantom; 06-13-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM

Re: My first Ibanez is celebrating it's 18th birthday this month

That is awesome. I wish I still had my first guitar, I can't even remember how I got rid of it. Very cool that you kept it through all the years.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

It wasn't my first guitar, my first (which I still have) is a classical guitar, a Yamaha CG40A, and my first electric was a cheap plywood Cort Strat copy. I traded the Cort as a deposit for the RG, and saved the rest of the money for it with the money I earned doing a milk run. It was an $800 guitar here at the time (a lot with our Australia tax )

This is a special guitar though. It really sang, even with the original crappy pickups and bridge. The neck is amazing, even with all the bumps and breaks. I used it in my first two bands during college (US high school equivalent). And anything I've done since.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM

I had a RG470, for about 8 years I think. Pretty awesome. I traded it about a year ago in a 3 guitar deal for a 7VWh. Went back to GC a couple months later and it was still hanging in the used section. I almost bought it back.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 08:38 PM

I have one of those MIJ Wizard II necks on my "Anti-Jem" Swirl. I've used it in a couple different bodies and it always plays and sounds great. I've done some work to it like stripping and giving it an oil finish, I gave it the Prestige treatment at the heel of the neck, and leveled and crowned the frets. It plays just as smooth as any neck I've ever played and I can set the action wicked low with it.

Hell it even has flaming in the headstock and a little along the neck too
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

The crazy thing is that this neck isn't even a MIJ Wizard II, it's a Wizard! The radius of the neck definitely looks 430mm, not 400mm, and it's as thin as the Wizard on my RG 550 re-issue. Only ever worked it out when I bought what I thought was an identical neck for my first build, a Korean RG 470 neck from a 94 model. It was thicker and the radius more curved. Threw me big time when I first got that neck!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 05:09 AM

*nods approvingly* Honest use and abuse (fix dem frets!). My gold PL is celebrating 27 years this month as well.

Unlike you, my first Ibanez was 'meh', so much so that I considered going elsewhere when I was shopping for a new axe; the PL changed all that .
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I need to refret. It's like playing vintage frets although wider. I might see if I can do the frets ill get a cheap neck to practice on first.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:54 PM

Reviews: 2

well Happy anniversary man!!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 03:43 PM

Nice. I just checked my records and I no longer have my first, second, third, fourth or fifth guitars LOL!

Still have my sixth, an RGT320QRBB that according to this forum arrived at my house on March 24, 2010
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 04:43 PM

Reviews: 2

I still have my third Ibby, the eagle. I bought it in June of '99........ that's my oldest. I bought my "Jem570" brand new in October of '99....still have that one too.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 PM

I still have my first Ibanez...that I got a year ago
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, yeah I've only ever got rid of one guitar (so far), and that was the Cort. My RG 550 20th Ann will be gone soon though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode