My first Ibanez. :) - RG550DX Purple Neon. Phwoar! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2001, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

My first Ibanez. :) - RG550DX Purple Neon. Phwoar!

Hey guys...

I've just bought my first Ibanez - the purple neon RG550 on Machinehead's website is MINE! :cheesy:

http://www.machinehead.co.uk/images/neon550lg.jpg

I'm sorry, but the combination of silly paintwork, mirror pickguard and maple for the neck was irresistable.

Can I call this my family, now?

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 12:33 AM

My first Ibanez. :)

Well congrad's bro...

Looks like you've started a family!

Just wait till you start getting G.A.S. on a regular basis :rotf:
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 04:00 AM

Sorry for what?
You should be happy! And you're WELCOME to the family!!
Enjoy your new babe and get fun!

nuno

ps: you're right: the colors combination is irresistible!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 08:24 AM

Very nice geetar!!
Did you go down to Machinehead to pick it up? I haven't been to the shop for a while but I remember it being one of the coolest guitar shops in the South East. Lots of tasty guitars and great service.

Enjoy and keep us posted of any pickup mods etc.

Matt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

yep definately a good purchase.. I was actually contemplating it myself *Hope you like those IBZ-USA pickups cos I think they're grrrrrrreat :biggrin:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Well, after playing the guitar for about an hour non-stop I have decided:

The colour is incredible - it shifts like those newer Jacksons and ESPs from pinky-purple to blue. Very cool. The pickguard is a lovely pinky-purple colour, too... mmm. The headstock matches the body, too!

The neck is fabulous - this is the first RG neck I've actually liked; I've tried a few before, including that new 570 with the pearloid neck binding and didn't like it at all... This neck seems much narrower. And of course, as it is second hand, it comes with a broken-in neck for that oh-so-smooth feeling. There is a bit of wear on the maple board, but I'm not bothered about that; I'm not going to be selling it.

The Ibanez USA pickups are great, Jono. Definately. Much smoother than my Evo in my Pacifica and sweeter, too. The neck pickup has a nice mellow tone on it that the Hotrails in my Pacifica (understandably, mind) couldn't even conceive. Although the transfer was surprising - I was expecting more butch from the neck pickup for silly legato neck leads; I'll just have to get better.

The Lo-pro? Hmm... well. I was expecting an Edge on the guitar, actually (no, I didn't read the advert very well... :loco so it came as a pleasant surprise. Having never used a trem other than a 6-pointer before it was certainly novel to stick the arm in and not have it go out of tune. I still have no idea what to do with it, but I'm going to try that windmill thing Vai does on the G3 DVD... LOL! I'm not looking forward to changing strings, however.

Eurgh. Well. I would post pictures, but I don't have a digital camera or scanner so it will take a while...

I'm going to wear my fingers out now...

Nick
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 04:01 PM

I love those guitars! congratulations, and welcome to the world of Ibanez.

You'll become as addicted to Ibanez as everyone else is!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 09:38 PM

Nice one! *I just yesterday got my first Ibanez. *A nice 11 year old Rg760, beautiful!

* Joel
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 10:21 PM

I have the same guitar, except mine came with V8/V7 pickups. I always get compliments on the color because like you said it seems to shift depending the light. I recently bought a teal version w/green mirror guard. I think there was a blue one from that era, too. Sweet!

Tags
guitar shop , neck binding , neck pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode