My First Swirl - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

My First Swirl

Hi everybody!

My Name is Gonzalo and i'm From Chile!, and i'd love to show you my "New" Baby, it is my first Home Made Swirl, i made it with my own hands, work, experimentation, whatever!...

First i like to thank in public to Dave dgbaker33 who gave some tips that actually made the difference!. And Second, this isn't the most incredible swirl but it's mine!!..i'm sure that in the future i will get much skill on this but for now i'm just enjoying it!!!...

Lots of pics!...

The Guitar was originally a Ibanez RG570, Stcok Pickups, and i have another Ibanez RG1550...Cool guitar, boring look!!, Now it is a Ibanez RG570 Swirl ( body ) with the RG 1550 Neck ( it worked perfectly ) and Dimarzio Pickups, Tone Zone ( B ), Fast Track ( M ), Fred ( N ), Heaven Sound...and my other guitar it is a RG 1550 ( Body ) with the RG570 Neck and Tone Zone ( B ), Stock single ( M ) and Paf Pro ( N )...C Dropped so Sound of Hell!!!

The Process pics!..enjoy!

Wrong process so i did it again!

I hope you enjoyed it, See ya!!!

i let you all a direct link to download my entire First Solo Record, recorded in my Home Studio here in Chile...my site is in spanish so i prefer to let you the direct Link..

http://www.gonzalocordovez.com/mp3/G...128%20Kbps.rar

http//:www.gonzalocordovez.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:56 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: My First Swirl

Congratz, from a Chilean fellow Gonzalo
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 PM

Nice job- i really like the way that swirl turned out!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 02:51 AM

nice you did it yourself!cool!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 03:26 AM

Very nice, the maple neck goes perfectly with it
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 04:07 AM

Very nice work indeed!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordokiller View Post

WOW WOW WOW WOW ! ! ! !

that was a hell of a nice swirl and colors choice!! yea i see the wrong stains running underneath the green but that was cool anyway!!! please do another one like that!

also, the final swirl looks pretty cool too, but it does deserve a flashlight pic! please
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Hi!!...yeah the green Swirl was cool but those blacks run ruined!..i hated that...here some other pics..with the flashlight, not a godd photographer!..

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 AM

now that looks WAY better!!! and thanks for not doing it zig-zag! great job Cordokiller, keep on swirling!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 AM

That's just awesome!
What about a full tutorial? I havn't found any complete step by step tutorial yet.
Is it still secret?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM

Those pickups make the guitar look fantastic.
Great choice on the colors.

Love it.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the support!...Secret..i really think that there isn't secret at all in this paint technique!...

here it's a full step by step tutorial...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/sw...swirl+tutorial

this one was posted by Simscustomshop...

it's quite complete...but some tips, this is what i did

- Remove the original paint from the guitar, Sand it with a sand machine ( not by Hand ), a 180 or 240 grit will do the job, go easy on the edges not to remove to much wood!!!...

- Seal the guitar, Sim...says Polyester sealer...i couldn't find it here in Chile so i seal with a Standar wood sealer, this is what is used on furnitures, two hands and respect the maker instruction on dry and cure.

- I recomend to wat sand after cured, with 1000 and 1500 grit, til the surface of the wood is ultra smooth, actually this is the secret to achieve a glass like final paint job. the sand process!!.

- After that, a white base coat, this is Urethane paint ( for Cars ), you will need a paint gun and a compressed air machine, a couple of hand until it's covered completly.

- Then Sand again, 1000 and 1500 grit wet sand, to achieve Smoothness

- then the swirl ( the shortest process of all!! ), you need a garbage can ( big enough for the guitar ), a cup of Borax, you put the borax in warm water and wait a half hour.

The paint that i used was modeling paint, to paint little cars or soldiers or superheros...that paint. the brands that a found was MODEL MASTER, TESTORS, HUMBROL, each color reacts in a different way, some colours will dry almost immediatly un touch the water other don't!..so the Greatest advice of all, this one is from Dave, make a Colour Log!, then experimet with wood ( white base painted ), until you know exactly how is every colour gonna do after you put it on the water...

And swirl like this ( this video is amazing!!! )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XUEbXAm-hY

- After the swirl you dry your guitar in a room with lights ( not Sun ), 24 hrs. ( do not let that to many water drops stay on the guitar, this will leave a mark!

- when it's Dry it's time to Clear ( Urethane clear coat ), again you will need that paint gun, spray it with a far coat, to avoid remove the swirl because of the Strong air!...a couple of hands to cover with the clear coat, then you go closer and finish the clear coat application, 10 cms aprox. to the guitar body to avoid clear runs!..( Happened to me : ( )...

- After is cured from the Clear coat process you need to sand it again, 1500 and 2000 grit, wet sand, if the surface is not to bumpy, just use 2000wet sand.

- and final you need to buffer it, with a buffer machine or a drill equiped with a buff device. and use, 3M Rubish componud ( perfec it II ) and 3M Machine Glaze, this last one i couldn't find it here so i used 3M Hand Glaze...that's about it...i hope my english wasn't so bad!!!...

See ya pals!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM

thank you so much!
The video is magic!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 PM

Men i love it...even when it was green!LOL with stains...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah!...the guy on the video it's not me!!!...he's a Swirl Jedi/Wizard!

Tags
ibanez , jem , prestige guitar , rg1550 , swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode