my friend just got an rg550, but.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

my friend just got an rg550, but....

Well my buddy just got a rg550 today. Its white....and sort of ugly, but we have been waiting to play one for ever. I like it, but i think the pick ups kind of suck. it has the v1, s1, v2 and i'm not sure i like them. I own an rg520qs and would rather play it over the 550, but it is a nice guitar. I always wondered why everyone on here talked about the the 550. Well, i still do kind of. I'm alittle let down with the guitar....good things its not mine. I think i'm going to end up having to do a pickup swap for my buddy. He wants evo's in it. What pick ups would anyone else reccomond putting in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 10:06 PM

Re: my friend just got an rg550, but....

I agree, my 520QS's do sound better, in fact the one I had with stock pickups was my favorite guitar for awhile, but I took it in to be worked on because I was getting scratchy noises with the pickup selector switch, and the switch got replaced, and it's never sounded quite as good since then. I've been thinking of replacing the pickups in my rg570 and rg550 (that I just got). What's stopping me is I already have other guitars that sound the way I like 'em to sound, so the fact that the 550 and the 570 sound the way they do means they're different than my 520qs, et al, and so I'm not sure I really want to try and make all my guitars sound identical. Some variety is good.

But a tonezone in the bridge would probalby be my first try, if I were to swap pickups, based on my tastes. I'm guessing, since you like the 520QS, that you find the bridge pickup a little dull and muddy, and missing that cutting high-end. That's my experience with the S2. Evos are a little too bright and nasally sounding for my tastes, too far in the other direction, though that can be tamed somewhat, and it's a good sound to have in the arsenal, it's just not my fave.

Having said that, I don't think I've actually heard a tonezone in the 550, and I'm not really all that sure what you'd like, so it's hard to recommend something. Choosing pickups is always a bit of a crapshoot. I put a tonezone in a Jackson RR1, and it didn't really do what I was hoping it would do, for example.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 11:36 PM
m0p

I would tell him to get a ToneZone in bridge, and AirNorton in neck. Not so sure about the mid pickup, I still have the stock one in my RG550 since I never use it anyway.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 06:55 AM

i still have the V1 V2 and S1 in my 550, they sound pretty good imo. i do want an evolution for the neck though, maybe something crunchy for the bridge. maybe when i get some spare money

Tags
bridge pickup , pickup selector switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode