My GSA60 Project: Blinky - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

My GSA60 Project: Blinky

So here is the official thread for my new project. Yesterday I got the guitar for this project. It is a 2004 Ibanez GSA60. Blue.
Got it in working, and cosmetically great shape, for $60, thanks to a mistake by the pawn shop.
here she is.

It plays well, needs setup properly, truss rod and bridge adjustment, and the edges of the frets smoothed out, and a good cleaning (pawn shop guitars always feel dirty to me)

So thats the canvas, now for the project. The goal here is to modify the guitar visually, to include a fabric top (possibly bottom also), mounted like a pick guard. The main mod will be holes of various sizes through the body, covered with a semi-transparent material, and lit with LEDs that only activate when the pickups are getting a signal from the strings. This will give the effect of having a light show on the guitar, synced to my playing. Here is a photoshop mockup of one design I have considered.

If the visual mod works out, I also plan to replace the single coils with some that are more vintage voiced.

The first things to tackle:
-Clean and setup the guitar
-Figure out exactly how it will be wired (getting close)
-Decide on a color for the LEDs.
-Decide on a fabric
-decide on a pattern for the holes (i like what I have alot, but there is concern that a couple of the holes will be covered by my picking arm)
-Figure out what will work well as a semi-transparent material to diffuse the light, but also look good when the lights are off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 PM

Reviews: 15
Re: My GSA60 Project: Blinky

Tuning in for this one.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
Tuning in for this one.
Seconded
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

any votes on where to place the holes? either of the designs above? or something different?

Here is the potential wiring diagram for those interested.

Also, here is another idea for light placement. Right now it looks like I might go with acrylic for the inserts, matte finish, so the light shines upward, but can be side-lit.

Last edited by ohaple; 03-06-2013 at 05:29 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 PM

If you're really going to call it "Blinky" you better paint it red and use your leds for eyes
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaple View Post
any votes on where to place the holes? either of the designs above? or something different?

Here is the potential wiring diagram for those interested.

Also, here is another idea for light placement. Right now it looks like I might go with acrylic for the inserts, matte finish, so the light shines upward, but can be side-lit.
take into consideration that with these holes, your guitar might tend to nose-dive if it ends up off balance from the missing wood. I would try to find a pattern that isn't going offset the balance.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

The color is kinda like the ghosts after PAC man gets the big pill. Add some red lights and its blinky lol.

I understand the possible balance and tone effects, but can add weight back if the balance is and issue. I will be adding electronics and 3/8 or 1-2 in acrylic, which will have some weight to it.
Which design is your favorite visually?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 PM

The last pic you put up with the green is the best out of the three IMO.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaple View Post
The color is kinda like the ghosts after PAC man gets the big pill. Add some red lights and its blinky lol.

I understand the possible balance and tone effects, but can add weight back if the balance is and issue. I will be adding electronics and 3/8 or 1-2 in acrylic, which will have some weight to it.
Which design is your favorite visually?
I like the last one.. reminds me of crop circles
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 PM

I think you should make the circles the shape of music notes, although that would be more difficult to light I would image. Still, very ambitious project! gl ^ ^
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Most votes from friends and you guys so far has been the green. Its my favorite too, but I wish I could make them all....

Anyone that might want to duplicate the project, let me know. I can help you with wiring designs and all.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Reviews: 9

Last design for sure.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

So I'm scrapping the fabric. The whole reason I was going to do that was because I was most likely going to get a front routed guitar, and would need to replace the pickguard, making it look like it didnt have. One. Now that I have a rear routed guitar, I am just going to keep the finish.

Going with the last design for sure. Now to choose color..

Got it all cleaned up, set the spring tight enough so the trem isn't floating, tuned, set truss rod, set pickup height, and intonated.

Here she is all cleaned up.

I made some mock ups, placing paper circles on the guitar to get a better idea of size

EDIT:
So now I am trying to figure out how I am going to route the wiring, where to put the electronics. The leds will be wired in parallel, so they all need to connect to where the battery and guitar output meet. I have no interest in this being a floating trem, since tuning stability is the last thing I want to worry about, especially with the cheap tuners and nut (which I refuse to spend money on right now).
Since I have no need for the springs or the claw, that leaves that entire cavity for me to tinker with my electronics. The problem is, how to route wiring with the least amount of routing, and the most functionality. The idea I am leaning towards looks somewhat like this (the image is mirrored, as if it were a lefty, but everything is in the right place)
This is what the back would look like, with the holes drilled.

To route the wiring, I was thinking of using the dremel flex shaft, and drilling holes, under the surface (not visible from above), from cavity to cavity, for the purpose of routing wires and LEDs. The drilled spots would be like this (marked in gray)

Last edited by ohaple; 03-07-2013 at 01:24 PM.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 PM

Reviews: 15

Any particular reason that you have to drill the holes all the way through the body? You could probably go half way through and line the bottom/sides with some reflective material so that the light doesn't get lost out the back of the guitar in turn making the light more intense on the front. Theoretically speaking of course.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Well it's more a practicality. I was going to use a hole saw, meaning I need to go all the way through. However, I planned on getting an extra set if acrylic pucks to paint metallic and cap the bottom. Even if I had a Cnc machine, I would want to go all the way through, otherwise setting up the leds properly will be a bitch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode