My Guitar's Value? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

My Guitar's Value?

Hello fellow Jemsiters. Recently I got a new guitar and I wanted to sell my old one. Now, a month after I got my old guitar the headstock broke off from the first and second string tuner down. I got this break repaired and all was well until I went to sell it. No guitar store would buy the guitar because of the headstock crack. I need a new amp so I still need to sell the guitar, I just don't know what it's worth. Could you guys check out the pictures and give me an appraisal of sorts? Thanks.

Specs here:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...Custom-FX.aspx

Pictures here:

http://s1257.photobucket.com/albums/...hone%20Futura/

Thanks everyone.

-Bluesy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 PM

Re: My Guitar's Value?

With a crack like that, no potential buyer is really going to make you much of an offer, really. You're probably better off parting it out, selling the Floyd and Pickups will probably net you more money than the rest of the guitar put together, given how serious that damage looks to have been.

I don't blame the stores for looking at this as a risk to sell, really.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 PM

There's one on auction right now (assuming it's not yours) with a very similar break. He's asking $299, which seems overly optimistic. Ones without significant damage have been selling around $300. With the headstock break, all things considered, I'd guess $150-$200.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 05:07 PM

Looking at completed listings I'd say $200 was optimistic.
There's one with a broken headstock that was repaired very cleanly and it went for $260, and a red one that appears to be in perfect condition that went for $197.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 PM

beaultiful guitar!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Ouch--you're kind of in a pickle with that one.
I agree that parting it out may yield more bacon.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 03:25 AM

Reviews: 3

If that guitar plays well, stays in tune etc... I'd keep it. Looks good, has OFR and EMG's. Maybe try to find something else to sell or part it out if you can't trade it to an individual towards the amp you need. The stores won't give you squat due to the damage, as you already stated
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:12 PM

Reviews: 15

I use worthmonkey to see what just about everything is worth on eb and cl
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
With a crack like that, no potential buyer is really going to make you much of an offer, really. You're probably better off parting it out, selling the Floyd and Pickups will probably net you more money than the rest of the guitar put together, given how serious that damage looks to have been.
I agree - I had a guitar (an Epiphone Genesis) that had a similar nasty neck break and when I tried to sell it I couldn't get anything for it - no buyers wanted to go near it except for buyers who were only willing to give about $150, which wouldn't have even covered the parts on it. I agree that you should either keep it or sell the parts if you really need the $...imho

Tags
emg , epiphone , floyd rose. , futura , metal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode