My Heavily Modified 540-R, "UF5150" - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

My Heavily Modified 540-R, "UF5150"

This guitar began life as a 1991 540-R with the sharkfin inlays and H-S-H pickups. When I bought it on the auction site last year it was fairly ragged out, but I really wanted a Radius body. Lots of dings and scratches in the paint. Hardware and neck in reasonably good condition. I’m not a fan of the sharkfins, so I always considered replacing the neck. Once I decided what to do I sought out a chrome Edge (thanks evolvedmb) and picked up matching chrome Gotoh tuners.

This guitar represents the merging of some of my vices … guitar (my 2 favorite players are EVH and Satriani – Radius close enough to a JS in my mind) and my favorite sports teams, the University of Florida Gators (also my alma mater).

I couldn’t have pulled off the paint job, but luckily I know someone who has the skill and knowledge (doesn’t hurt that he too likes Van Halen and the Gators). He stripped it down, filled the pickup cavities, pickup selector slot and tone knob, and did all of the magic with the paint and the decals for the headstock.

So here it is, the “UF5150” guitar …

• Musikraft Custom Banana headstock (compound radius, medium jumbo frets, medium C shape): It’s a little thicker than an Ibanez neck, but that’s been my preference the last 7 or 8 years.
• Seymour Duncan "Custom 8" pickup (Custom Custom with Alnico 8 magnet): I made a conscious decision to try a Duncan for this guitar, since those were Eddie’s pickups. It came down to 3 different ones I wanted to try, but I didn’t want to spend the $160 for a SD Custom Shop. So I bought a few used on the SD forum, and really like this Custom 8.
• Push-Pull knob to switch between series and parallel
• Cheap orange knob that turned out to match the paint perfectly
• I have access to a lasermarking machine, so I couldn’t resist giving this a serial #

Last edited by lerxst6; 09-17-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:12 AM

Re: My Heavily Modified 540-R, "UF5150"

I like it... A cool spin on the 5150.
I live in Ashtabula, Ohio (Urban Meyer's hometown)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Pretty sweet!

How do you like that Musikraft neck? I have a Charvel-style neck being made by them at the moment.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

I like the neck a lot. Haven't logged a lot of playing time on it yet, but my initial thoughts are all positive. I got the Charvel heel width, and we opened the neck pocket up a bit for it. The standard pocket was sorta in between the Fender and the Charvel width, and we thought it was better to go snug then have to shim the Fender.

I've been playing a Fender Standard Tele mostly the last several years, so I've grown to like that neck thickness over the Ibanez, even though I've had a 540-S for 20 years. That's one of the reasons I went with the medium C.

A friend of mine just got a tele body and neck from Musikraft, and his seemed spot-on too. I've heard a lot positive about them prior to my order too. There's another project I'll do next year that will likely get a similar neck.

sprocket - If I ever go to one of the coach speaking booster clubs again I may bring it and get Meyer to sign the tremolo plate. This would have to rank pretty high in the "nut job" stuff he's signed. I saw him the summer after UF hired him speak at a booster club, and someone had him sign a Gator satellite dish. He was making jokes about it "Where's the nut job with the satellite dish?" during his talk. He seems to be a really good guy - my wife ran into him with my (then) 2.5 year old son, and he was really nice to them and talked to my kid. Later, my son said he'd "met Tim Tebow's coach" - pretty funny.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst6 View Post
I like the neck a lot. Haven't logged a lot of playing time on it yet, but my initial thoughts are all positive. I got the Charvel heel width, and we opened the neck pocket up a bit for it. The standard pocket was sorta in between the Fender and the Charvel width, and we thought it was better to go snug then have to shim the Fender.

I've been playing a Fender Standard Tele mostly the last several years, so I've grown to like that neck thickness over the Ibanez, even though I've had a 540-S for 20 years. That's one of the reasons I went with the medium C.

A friend of mine just got a tele body and neck from Musikraft, and his seemed spot-on too. I've heard a lot positive about them prior to my order too. There's another project I'll do next year that will likely get a similar neck.
That's cool, thanks for the info. I built a floyd strat a couple months ago, and the neck I used was from an unknown **** shop. It's a decent neck, but a little too chunky for me, I wanted something closer to my Charvel So-Cal's neck, a thin C. Looking forward to the Musikraft for sure(probably be a month before I see it though lol).
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:26 PM

Reviews: 7

Cool project! I like it! also a friend of mine has made an EVH spinoff, a white tele with black EVH stripes
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Go gators.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 07:04 PM

looks great Dean, and sorry I haven't gotten back to you
on the PM's. I haven't been on this site for many days.
Now we need some video footage of it in action!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 PM

Reviews: 39

Cool axe and a great job on the 5150 scheme! Those SD Custom 8's are sweet humbuckers too...but Alabama is gonna take you in the SEC Championship
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the gratiutous revival of my own thread guys. As I stated 2 years ago, I've always been too cheap to spend $160 on the Custom Shop Seymour Duncan 78 pickup. I had the Custom 8 in this guitar for about a year or so and liked it. Then I put a Duncan Screamin Demon in it, and it was great too.

However, a few weeks ago someone was selling a used ORANGE Custom Shop 78 on another forum and I simply could not resist. The pickup sounds amazing. I liked the Custom 8 and I liked the Screamin Demon too. This 78 is just a bit different, and so far I really dig it. While the others were simply high output, you can really tell how this 78 is very responsive to picking attack. And in ORANGE it looks tremendous. It isn't an exact match with the orange stripes, but it is really close. I put a plain chrome knob on it now too, just to class it up a bit.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 11:37 PM

Wow that's really cool. I always love seeing what people can come up with when modifying their guitars and this is really impressive. The orange pickup has really finished that guitar off nicely. Well done!!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 02:17 AM

Reviews: 15

Wicked cool! If you happen to change your mind on the pickup, I have an EVH Frankenstein that needs to go to a good home. PM me if you're interested.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:45 AM

Dude,

That is priceless! One of a kind!

Phil
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 PM

Lets hope your new pickup makes our offense a little hotter this weekend....GO GATORS!

Looks great!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 AM

so....what happened to the original neck? i'd love to get my hands on it...seriously!!!

rich

Tags
540-r , modified , radius , van halen project guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode