This guitar began life as a 1991 540-R with the sharkfin inlays and H-S-H pickups. When I bought it on the auction site last year it was fairly ragged out, but I really wanted a Radius body. Lots of dings and scratches in the paint. Hardware and neck in reasonably good condition. I’m not a fan of the sharkfins, so I always considered replacing the neck. Once I decided what to do I sought out a chrome Edge (thanks evolvedmb) and picked up matching chrome Gotoh tuners.
This guitar represents the merging of some of my vices … guitar (my 2 favorite players are EVH and Satriani – Radius close enough to a JS
in my mind) and my favorite sports teams, the University of Florida Gators (also my alma mater).
I couldn’t have pulled off the paint job, but luckily I know someone who has the skill and knowledge (doesn’t hurt that he too likes Van Halen and the Gators). He stripped it down, filled the pickup cavities, pickup selector slot and tone knob, and did all of the magic with the paint and the decals for the headstock.
So here it is, the “UF5150” guitar …
• Musikraft Custom Banana headstock (compound radius, medium jumbo frets, medium C shape): It’s a little thicker than an Ibanez neck, but that’s been my preference the last 7 or 8 years.
• Seymour Duncan "Custom 8" pickup (Custom Custom with Alnico 8 magnet): I made a conscious decision to try a Duncan for this guitar, since those were Eddie’s pickups. It came down to 3 different ones I wanted to try, but I didn’t want to spend the $160 for a SD Custom Shop. So I bought a few used on the SD forum, and really like this Custom 8.
• Push-Pull knob to switch between series and parallel
• Cheap orange knob that turned out to match the paint perfectly
• I have access to a lasermarking machine, so I couldn’t resist giving this a serial #