My humble (and temporary) collection - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

My humble (and temporary) collection

I bought a RT650 earlier this week and it showed up today with some pretty significant damage so I'm either going to be returning it or filing a claim, and I'm trying to sell my Prestige, but I thought I'd get a pic of the family while I could

I laid the picks out on the bed and they all just climbed up there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 PM

Re: My humble (and temporary) collection

From the pix, I can't see the damage on the RT650. What is the damage? I just picked one up recently, and I love it!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracatac View Post
From the pix, I can't see the damage on the RT650. What is the damage? I just picked one up recently, and I love it!
Well I've already packed it up for return (fortunately the guy I bought it from is giving me a full refund minus return shipping) so it's too late to get close up pics of the damage, but there are 7 or 8 ugly dents in the clearcoat on the front of the body, a few more on the back, three bad dings down to the wood around the back edge, a significant neck pocket crack, and numerous scratches/scuffs all over that couldn't possibly be polished out. And to top it off the tremolo bar was the incorrect type (screw in) with damage on the plastic.

A couple things were mentioned in the listing (replaced tuners, volume knob is actually a tone knob), but nothing was mentioned about any of the damage and the pictures cleverly hid everything, whether innocently or not. All the guitars in the pic happened to purchased online (except the Prestige), but the RT650 was the worst condition and furthest from the description by a considerable margin. If there were just one or two dents and no neck pocket crack I surely would have kept it but this was unacceptable.

Last edited by van01010100; 05-27-2010 at 11:12 PM.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:47 PM

Damn, sorry to hear that. But nice collection though!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks
And just for the record in case somebody sees a relisting or something the guy seemed nice and I don't think he was trying to rip me off (offer included free shipping so we're both taking a hit).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:11 PM

That's a bummer, the RT650 is a great axe. Hopefully, you can find one in better condition, if you are still interested in one.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 04:57 PM

great collection
love the amber RT and 10th, obviously.

What is the exact model no# of the leftmost LP type?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

The one on the left is a 2008 ART400 HAM (honey amber).

It has a koa top, which almost always has some kind of cross grain or curl, but this one just has perfectly straight grain. I think that means it would technically be considered a 'low grade' koa since it doesn't have a lot of extra design, but in my opinion that's what makes it perfect. I generally don't like wood tops with a lot of figuring so when I saw this one with zero curl I had to have it. It plays great acoustically but I hate active pickups so I'll be changing them out eventually. It's gorgeous though and really glows when the light hits it.. here's some more pics:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by van01010100 View Post
It has a koa top, which almost always has some kind of cross grain or curl, but this one just has perfectly straight grain. I think that means it would technically be considered a 'low grade' koa since it doesn't have a lot of extra design, but in my opinion that's what makes it perfect. I generally don't like wood tops with a lot of figuring so when I saw this one with zero curl I had to have it.
those are some nice shots.

Highly figured Koa is almost always a thin veneer. Which means that you might actually have a proper Koa top. It doesn't add a lot to mahogany though, as they are close in properties and tone anyway, just a bit of brightness but nothing like a maple top would give you.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
you might actually have a proper Koa top
Haha.. that was one of the first things I checked.. definitely a veneer:
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 03:48 PM

Tip of the hat to you mate, nice collection. Shame to have to split up (lucky number) 7 guitars. Can I ask why you're selling the S2170? Do you not like the guitar or are you selling to maybe fund another purchase? Hope the RT650 issue works out for you, it's not nice receiving a damaged guitar in the post.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Tip of the hat to you mate, nice collection. Shame to have to split up (lucky number) 7 guitars. Can I ask why you're selling the S2170? Do you not like the guitar or are you selling to maybe fund another purchase? Hope the RT650 issue works out for you, it's not nice receiving a damaged guitar in the post.
Thanks
The Prestige is actually an S1625 (MIJ) and I'm basically selling it because I think it's ugly . My dad gave it to me a few years ago cause he didn't like the trem, so he doesn't want it either. It plays great though and I like having a 22 fret guitar available for playing Pink Floyd solos (just feels 'right'), so if I don't get any offers soon I'll probably just keep it. Plus it's one of the last MIJ S Prestiges so I might be better off keeping it at least for a while. I'd like to get an RT452 (12 string) or an old Artist series, but most of all I want a 2375 strat.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Ha! Ha! Yeah I should've looked closer at the pup config. Looks like an S2170 at first glance though. Is that guitar ugly?? Well to me...no, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure. No need to call THAT collection 'humble' though, it's very cool imho and I'm sure there are many guys who would kill to have those axes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

van01010100

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode