My latest acquisition... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

My latest acquisition...

The Steinberger Spirit GU-Standard (with the HSS separating it from being "Deluxe," but I like HSS better anyway. No point in using a 'bucker for cleans IMO)

In perfect condition.

This is going to be my second guitar, my first with any kind of tremolo, so now I have an excuse to be rolling 9s (still gonna have 11s on my soon to be "backup/practice" axe though).

It was either this or a used RG550/70 (per my friend/sensei Steve's advice) but since I wanted something fairly unique I got this. The trem is floating but it can also lock in place like the Speedloaders do (come to think of it the Speedloaders are like the exact same as R-Trems except with less common strings...) so it's probably less trouble for a n00b like me than the Edge would be.

That said I love the way Ibanezes play. I played an RG2EX1 and an RG350 and they were positively handgasmic. This guitar is supposed to be as well but in the event that it isn't these puppies soar to $400 and up on the Bay, and since I scored this for $300 plus shipping I can make money on it and snag a nice Ibanez XD.

Any experience with these guitars? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:14 PM

Re: My latest acquisition...

That is bad ASS!

Sweet find. Congratulations!

The Transtrem is so awesome.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Dee

Cool. I love Steinberger.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:27 PM

just do yourself a favor and change out those POS pickups..
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:30 PM

Is that one of the Music Yo Steinberger's?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

@Robb:

Indeed that is the plan. I'm going for some GFS pickups. However a quick question: If I want to swap out the humbucker and the single coils, does that entail buying like a bridge humbucker and a strat pickup set and not using the strat bridge pickup?

@Dee: Hate to ruin the awesome factor but it isn't a TransTrem unfortunately. TransTrem-equipped ones run into the thousands and a 15-year-old can't afford that XD. Had a hard enough time convincing my parents to let my buy a guitar in the first place despite having MORE than enough money for it, and even tougher to get em to believe that you can have more than one.

"Gee Mom, why do you have more than one pair of shoes?"
"BE QUIET I TRANSCEND LOGIC!"

**EDIT: Yes Salamander, it is.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Jiggity View Post
@Robb:

Indeed that is the plan. I'm going for some GFS pickups. However a quick question: If I want to swap out the humbucker and the single coils, does that entail buying like a bridge humbucker and a strat pickup set and not using the strat bridge pickup?

@Dee: Hate to ruin the awesome factor but it isn't a TransTrem unfortunately. TransTrem-equipped ones run into the thousands and a 15-year-old can't afford that XD. Had a hard enough time convincing my parents to let my buy a guitar in the first place despite having MORE than enough money for it, and even tougher to get em to believe that you can have more than one.

"Gee Mom, why do you have more than one pair of shoes?"
"BE QUIET I TRANSCEND LOGIC!"

**EDIT: Yes Salamander, it is.
Yeah, I didn't think it was an actual, super awesome Steinberger.

That's not to suggest that it's not a killer axe, though.

What kind of bridge is it? Is it a copy of a Transtrem?

Hey, do you wanna see something funny?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

It's an R-Trem, which is a redesign much unlike the Trans or S Trems. It's basically just a roller knife-edge tremolo that you can lock a-la the S-Trems.

Sure I'll see something funny.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
It's an R-Trem, which is a redesign much unlike the Trans or S Trems. It's basically just a roller knife-edge tremolo that you can lock a-la the S-Trems.

Sure I'll see something funny.
Oh, I see.

Email Ed Roman and tell him that your korean wife bought you a Steinberger from Music Yo, and that it's the greatest guitar you've ever played. Trust me, it's a hoot! I've harassed him quite a few times from different emails, and it never gets old.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Dee

Quote:
@Dee: Hate to ruin the awesome factor but it isn't a TransTrem unfortunately.
It wasn't me who suggested it was a TransTrem. I know it's a Steinberger Spirit, and they are good guitars. Well worth the money.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 08:18 PM

I think StewMac sell the GFS pickups as individual items, no?

Nice guitar you got there!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 08:52 PM

Didn't the one guitarist (not Chuck) from Death play something similar? At least, in the vid for Lack of Comprehension?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Sorry Dee, did the @ thing wrong XD Was looking at your name.

And @David you can just buy GFS pups from guitarfetish.com individually for around $30 a pop.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG_FANMAN View Post
Didn't the one guitarist (not Chuck) from Death play something similar? At least, in the vid for Lack of Comprehension?
Yeah, he played a marble finished Steinberger.

Chuck played his secksi Stealth.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander In The Sun View Post
Oh, I see.

Email Ed Roman and tell him that your korean wife bought you a Steinberger from Music Yo, and that it's the greatest guitar you've ever played. Trust me, it's a hoot! I've harassed him quite a few times from different emails, and it never gets old.

I sent him an email. A polite one though.

Basically it just details my "befuddlement" with some of his philosophies, tells him that I bought a MusicYo Steinberger, tells him how I pretty much have to use GC because of local shops around here being lacking, and then asks him how the shop move is going.

Tags
body shape , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , edge trem , humbucker sound , local music shop , strat bridge , strat bridge pickup , strat sound , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode