My latest find - Charvel 750XL Archtop Soloist - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

My latest find - Charvel 750XL Archtop Soloist

Here's a beauty I have been wanting for a long time, and now it's mine. It's got a set-neck (not a neck-through), 24.75" scale length, Schaller Floyd, mahogany back, and an arched amber flamed top. Born in 1989, and hardly a scratch on it. Weighs a ton and sustains forever. Shawn Lane used this model for a while and if you've seen his "Power Licks/Solos" video, you've seen this guitar. Anyone else come across one of these before?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:07 PM

My latest find

Nice Guitar Bob.
Out,
Gregory
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
My latest find

Congrats Bob, *that's a great looker there I've rather fancied a 750 for a while now, but I was after one with the tunamatic/stringthrough arrangement.

I think the one I like is the 750 without the XL? the XL like yours has the floyd? But I'm not sure so if anyone can fill me in...

I was unaware that it had a Gibson scale length, I'd kinda hoped it had the longer 25.5" scale but never mind.

I love the Vintage yellow top/red back with binding look of these guitars, it's very classy.

Well done on securing that one

Edit - Oooooh I just realised that this here was my 777th post

(Edited by jono at 9:18 am on Mar. 5, 2002)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

My latest find

Thanks guys. Jono - I don't know enough about Jackson/Charvels (especially the older ones) to know the model designations. I did post a few questions about the 750 on the Jackson/Charvel forum, and didn't get too much in the way of answers. There are some pics of other 750s there though. Congrats on the 777th post :biggrin:

I forgot to mention the fingerboard has a compound radius. I can bend strings to Canada with no fretting out. The short scale combined with the giant frets make this a finger-vibrato lover's dream come true.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 06:00 PM

My latest find

Congrats Bob! That's a beautiful guitar... I'm with Juno: the top's tops!

I've wanted either a Charvel 750 hardtail or a SLS USA Soloist for a while now... the Soloist has the longer scale, but I'm not that fond of the 3x3 headstock and prefer the string-through-body bridge on the 750...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 08:01 PM

My latest find

I had one..

Cherry sunburst, lots and lots of chips out of the clear-coat around the edge of the body.. I sold it off for a number of reasons:

1. It was too heavy for my scrawny frame. I like to stand and run around while playing, and this thing made me want to fall over dead afterwards..

2. Scale length. 9's felt too light, 10s too heavy.. I drove myself nuts trying different gauges.

3. Painted neck. I hate painted necks..

Other than those things, it was a great guitar.. Flame wasn't as nice as yours though, Bob.. :biggrin: I think I have a pic somewhere.. I'll post it, if I can find it..

(Edited by toshiro at 1:46 am on Mar. 6, 2002)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 01:51 AM

My latest find

Here's what mine looked like:

Kind bland flame, and not the best sunburst job, but a good guitar for what I traded for it(an Epi Les Paul, lol)..

I think I like the amber finish better, never was much of a red person..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 02:06 AM

Reviews: 3
My latest find

Bob - that's a pretty cool guitar, I actually really like the yellow.

The end.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 06:49 AM

My latest find

Nice geetar!! What pickups does it have?

Matt
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2002, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

My latest find

Well it had Jackson pups, a J80 and J50, but I didn't like them at all. Today I put in a Duncan 59 in the neck, and a DiMarzio Breed in the bridge. I also changed the 5 way switch to a Megaswitch P model. Absolutely killer tone now.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2002, 12:56 AM

My latest find

Very cool. *I always liked Charvel. *Stryper was one of my favourite bands as a youth. *:innocent:

Tags
beautiful guitar , dimarzio breed , epi les paul , les paul , shawn lane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode