My Latest Guitar ... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

My Latest Guitar ...

Now, before anyone flames me, let me get it on the record that I LOVE Les Paul knockoffs and I don't mean the nicer high end knock offs. I mean the Hondo II styles, lol. I flippin love them. So I was in Cleveland on an extended stay and I happened to hit a guitar shop and sitting there was a knock off Les Paul, just like my old Hondo II. The name says "Cortez" and looking it up online hasn't really shed any light on the year it was made or all that jazz, but, I picked it up, plugged it in and was blown away.

This has two coil taps and the one thing I noticed was the pickups had been changed. I also noticed the sperzel tuners (which I hate the fact that they are bronze) but love the look and feel of them.

Anyway, the pups was really something I wondered about the entire time in Cleveland and the trip home. SO I got home and took the damned thing apart. What I found delighted me.

The neck pup is a cream DiMarzio (unknown model and year) and the bridge pup is a Guild XR-7. Talk about a sound. This thing blows EVERY guitar I won away!

I do want to change the keys and the knobs, but I dropped $125 on her and DO NOT regret it at all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 01:23 AM

Re: My Latest Guitar ...

Sweet!

I have no idea why anyone would flame you, and I have $5 that DiMarzio is a Super Distortion.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Sweet!

I have no idea why anyone would flame you, and I have $5 that DiMarzio is a Super Distortion.
A lot of my friends look down on the knock off guitars and all that. So I decided to preface everything to get it out of the way, lol. Is there a way I can find out if that is a Super Distortion? I also believe the Guild pup is from or around 1983.

Last edited by ohioplayer; 08-10-2007 at 01:36 AM.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 09:28 AM

Thats cool. If someone liked that guitar enough to put some decent pickups in it it must play pretty good.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 10:17 AM

Reviews: 26

good on yaa...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 10:34 AM

sweet!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:00 PM

I remember bashing anything that wasn't a Gibson or a Fender back in the 70s and 80s. Sounds like you found a pretty good one to me.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Sweet!

Cant be a Super D. It doesn't look from the pics like it has 2 rows of ajustable screw coils.

Its Probably a Dimarzio PAF.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:45 PM

I must be blind. I see only 1 row of adjustment screws... BTW, nice find...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:49 PM

Hey man, anything that rocks your world and makes you happy. Congrats
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 04:30 AM

Nice guitar!

I've always really liked some of those 70's Lawsuit Les Paul copies. Most of them had DiMarzios in, and they play and sound great.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 05:20 AM

Red face Re: My Latest Guitar ...

The best Les Paul i've ever played was an Ibanez!!!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:53 AM

Very nice. Congrats!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 12:14 PM

Reviews: 2

I have $5 that the Dimarzio Super Distortion is worth more than that whole guitar and there is still no reason to Flame
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuredMaul View Post
I have $5 that the Dimarzio Super Distortion is worth more than that whole guitar and there is still no reason to Flame
its not a super Distortion.

Tags
bridge pup , coil tap , dimarzio paf , dimarzio super distortion , guitar shop , les paul , neck pup , sperzel tuners , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode