My latest project (with pic) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

My latest project (with pic)

This is the latest "creation" to come off of the workbench, my sustainer equipped RG. Specs are as follows...

-RG560 body (with substantial mods to take sustainer circuit board, pickguard and neck humbucker)
-RG550 neck (with a flip/flop paint headstock - not by choice)
-Bareknuckle miracle man bridge pickup
-S1 single coil in the middle
-Seymour duncan lil 59 in the neck (along with the sustainiac driver)
-edge trem and all the usual RG hardwear

Well its working well so far (first time ) and Im please with the way it plays and sounds - just needs some knobs and back plates and I should have another killer guitar for the collection.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 12:55 PM

Re: My latest project (with pic)

coolio! How hard was it to wire up a sustainiac? And how much dis it cost you? I'm finding it very hard to resist the urge to take a wood file to my screen and try scallop the neck-I'm all for overkill when cleaning fretboards!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 02:31 PM

Looks good and dirty ! By the way where is the switching for the Sustainer?

Regards

André

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

The sustainer wasnt too bad wiring wise - its fitting it all into the guitar which is the difficult bit. Costs: I bought the guitar minus pickups for £200, the sustainer kit for £150 and all the other stuff came to about £50 (I got a good deal on the pickups and traded gear for some other stuff). So that takes total expendature to about £400.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 11:10 PM

Very nice. Great pickups. I can "see" that it sounds good. Congratulations. SMD
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

The switching for the sustainer is done by 2 push pull pots. The volume switches it on and off, and the tone between the 2 modes.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy
The switching for the sustainer is done by 2 push pull pots. The volume switches it on and off, and the tone between the 2 modes.
Which is also the best thing about the sustainiac. Although I have to argue i think the push pulls are too clumsy to use, at least you have the option. Sustainers FOREVER!!!!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Gex

Oh hey, I have a RG560 that I was going to do the same mods too: Pickguard, Neck Humbucker route, and sustainer.

How hard was it to get all the inside routed? Do you have any "under the hood" pictures?

If you do, they would be immensly helpful for me. Thank you, sir.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

The routing was very easy, but unfortunatly no, I dont have any pictures when it was in bits. I basically opened out the pickup area into a "swimming pool" route like on some strats, then added the extra area for the sustainer in the same place as on this guitar.

I decided on this guitar to actually open out the front of the electronics cavity (instead of having a "fake" pickguard) so I used a flush cut bit with the baring at the bottom, through one of the control holes to follow the cavity inside.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 04:11 AM

Thats really nice Andy, its always nice to have a project on the go too. You cant beat the old RG550 guitars for anything. They are just so nice. Its always nice to have one of them lying around too. Whats next on your list do ya reckon? Now that you have got rid of your 8?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Well I have a san dimas charvel turning up tomorrow (hopefully) and a 7 string due from Jeremy. Im also working on a fretless conversion at the moment
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 05:47 PM

Did you buy the Sustainiac directly from them or from somewhere else ? I thought they were about $200 if you got one direct.

I'm thinking about getting one for a guitar I'm putting together and I'm more impressed with the Sustainiac than the Fernades version.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 06:19 PM

Definately nice, Jammy.

Tags
bridge pickup , edge trem , killer guitar , neck humbucker , seymour duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode