My New Chrome Guitar (Yamaha Pacifica) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

My New Chrome Guitar (Yamaha Pacifica)

I read a couple of posts of people looking for a source to get their guitar chromed. I kept reading bad reviews of Guns, Guitars, Girls. Well, by the time I had read these reviews, I had already sent my guitar to them. So, here is my (in my opinion fair and honest) review of their services. It started on Oct 18th, 2003 when they got my guitar body. Originally I was told that it would take 2 to 3 weeks. My biggest gripe was that there wasn't any communcation initiated by the company as to the progress of my guitar. I would have to continually email to find out what was going on with the guitar and how much longer it would take. I was repeatedly told 2 to 3 more weeks. Well, when I finally put a deadline on it as to when I had to have the guitar back, things started moving. I did get the guitar back close to the deadline, but not on time. It showed up about 4 days too late. I was a little peeved thinking that since it took 3 months and not 2 to 3 weeks, the guy should spring the extra couple of bucks for 2 day air shipping to get it here on time. But of course no luck.

Now, by this point, I'm sure you're probably thinking I'm dissatisfied. Well, I can't say I was happy with the delay, but I do understand a portion of it. As it turns out, the body I sent to have done had an unsual bolt on neck. Rather than the bolt plate that most guitars have, it had 2 routed cavities that had plate inserts which bolt the neck on. If they would have just dunked the guitar in the copper and chrome bath, it would have filled up these holes too much to get the bolt plates back in. So, they had to take some time re routing these holes. They also worked on a chip in the paint and filled that in, sanded it out so that it was a smooth finish in the end. So, I can't say that there weren't any reasons for the delay, but in all honesty, I still think it took longer than it should have.

As for quality... I'm happy, but still a bit bummed. What I didn't realize when I sent the guitar was that every tiny imperfection in the original paint job / finish will show up in the chrome. The surface has to be glass smooth for the chrome to be smooth. So, since my body had dings and dents in it from years of playing, the final job came out with those same dings and dents. Not a big deal when I'm on stage playing, but upon viewing the guitar close up, I think it could have looked better. I could say that since he's done these guitars before, he should be aware of that possibility... but in the end, is it his responsibility? It would have been nice to receive an email letting me know that the condition of the body would be reflected so much in the chrome job. The one thing about the job that I'm not sure about was that there were areas where there seemed to be a fish eyes type of appearance. I'm not sure if this was due to the original finish or not. It's not a big deal, but it is a little disappointing.

In the end, I can definitely say I'm happy to have this chrome guitar and it's awesome to finally play my baby again.... but if I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have done it due to the length of the wait and the lack of customer support/relations. I do think it was a decent/good chrome job... just not a great experience all things considered.

Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:01 PM
EKG

Can you supply some pics? That would be cool.

And before we get into it again, it is nickel plating, not chrome ;-)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:57 PM

I had a JS2000 nickel plated, and it came out ok..I guess I got lucky. I've heard alot of horror stories.

Even though it came out ok, I still would not recommend it to anyone. They always insist on sending a "perfect" guitar body, but it's a tough chance to take knowing that it might not make it back to you that way.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:28 PM

Never again will i send a piece of wood to GGG

NOT EVEN A TOOTHPICK!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:34 PM

Re: My New Chrome Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakewalkr7
Now, by this point, I'm sure you're probably thinking I'm dissatisfied. Well, I can't say I was happy with the delay, but I do understand a portion of it. As it turns out, the body I sent to have done had an unsual bolt on neck. Rather than the bolt plate that most guitars have, it had 2 routed cavities that had plate inserts which bolt the neck on. If they would have just dunked the guitar in the copper and chrome bath, it would have filled up these holes too much to get the bolt plates back in. So, they had to take some time re routing these holes. They also worked on a chip in the paint and filled that in, sanded it out so that it was a smooth finish in the end. So, I can't say that there weren't any reasons for the delay, but in all honesty, I still think it took longer than it should have.
Just my 2 cents.
That wouldn't be a Yamaha, would it? My Pacificas have neck joints like that...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

EKG, I'll try to get some pics up soon. Jester, yes it is a pacifica tele model. It is my absolute favorite guitar.... super thin neck, amazing tone and very good looking
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:00 AM

i wouldn't send my guitars to any1 for this job, tbh... if it was that easily done we'd see chrome guitars on every stage, i believe...

that must have been some months of fear, cakewalker, don't envy you for this time
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I wouldn't say months of fear, but definitely a few times of serious concern. But, I contacted a few people who had it done and they raved about the job, so it put my mind at ease.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:31 AM

CMC's chrome job looks and sounds way better than GGG. At least he can "chrome" with a paint and not metal, and then clearcoat the thing to protect the paint.......i really like this. I'd let CMC try a body for me..........at least we haven't heard any horror stories about him, at least not yet.
He told me that his quality is better than GGG, and that i wouldn't have to worry about screwed up holes that I have to redrill, or jacked up neck pockets etc.... So at least i heard from himself, that i wouldn't have to relive a GGG experience!!

But i'm just waiting for his website to be up.........and probably will have him do a body for me
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the good press!

I am waiting for the finish to be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT before I offer it to anyone

I am VERY close to perfecting the process & am doing the finish on my prized Paul Reed Smith body.

If it isn't perfect enough for me to put on my favorite guitar...then it wouldn't be ethical to offer it to others!

That being said...I have been told that our finish (even before the refirements) is much better than Plating

I promise to post the PRS pix when I am done

Again..thanks for the good press & I am working on getting the website up (possibly whith a new provider)
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 05:02 AM

I had 3 bodies done by GGG and have been happy with all of them. They all needed a bit of extra attention before setup, like making sure all the cavities were cleared and such, but the guitars all turned out really nice. Maybe I was just lucky...
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 09:19 AM

Got any pictures you can share?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:19 AM

This is all I have right now. Unfortunately nothing with detail. But considering I owned 2 JS10's to compare with... I am very pleased with the GGG job. But I am certainly looking forward to the CMC website!

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 02:17 AM
Fry

That is a nice looking guitar babahi, how about some chrome bobbin toppers?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 08:48 AM

That would be cool, but they'd have to be gold to match the guitar. Are they available in gold?

Tags
bobbin toppers , guitar body , neck joint , neck joints , neck pockets , paul reed , paul reed smith , reed smith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode