My new guitar: Ibanez RG-METAL1 (tons of pics!) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

My new guitar: Ibanez RG-METAL1 (tons of pics!)

Got this one in the mail yesterday. I must say I'm OVERWHELMED by it. In a time when I was looking away from Ibanez guitars, this axe has brought back my faith in the company. I've never had such a magnificent instrument, not only Ibanez but I think this is the best electric guitar I've ever played. Period.

Everything is top notch here:

The sharp attack of the ebony board combined with the thickness of the TZ-AN combo gives this axe a monstruous sound which has the perfect balance between presence and harmonics. Cleans are insanely beautiful with the single coil and I can't wait to put 10's on it and listen just how crystal clear they sound with tigther strings. The blocked trem also seems to be adding to the ridiculous amount of sustain/resonance this instrument has. Best guitar tone I've ever heard. Basswood really lets the pick-ups and the board wood speak for themselves and won't break your back like mahogany. I just love it!

Lookwise, these axe is the most badass thing I've ever had. My DBK looks so cheap besides my new baby... Can't wait to take it to my first gig with my prog band, jaws are going to be dropping to the floor when other guitarists see this thing.

As far as playability goes, I'm not a fan of the Wizard neck profile anymore (used to love it a few years back but I like some beef now) but this particular neck is so beautiful and the action so low that I feel younger playing it. Kind of like when I first grabbed my first Ibanez (a FGM which was the second best Ibanez I've ever payed) and was completely blown away by how effortless it played. I really don't understand why Ibanez keeps making 95% of their intruments with rosewood fretboards when both ebony and maple blow it away in every possible aspect (looks, sound, playablity).

Anyway, on to the fun part: here are some pics. Enjoy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: My new guitar: Ibanez RG-METAL1 (tons of pics!)

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

My present collection:

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:28 PM

Nice guitar ! I had never seen one, but now I understand why people claimed the JEM 90th HAM was a RG-Metal knockoff, misses only the monkey grip and you have one
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:32 PM

Haha! I can see you in the pickguard!!

Congratulations man, looks like one fine axe that I'd love stealin' from ya if I was even living in the same continent as you :P
(luckily, for both of us, I'm not.)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:18 PM

Where did u get that i mean i cant find it anywhere on the Ibanez website?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:38 PM

Look at the headstock, it's a 97 j-custom, you'd have to look for it on sites that hold historical records (or so to speak) about the jc guitars.

Plus, it was said that the Jem90HAM was a 'rip off' of this guitar, and the 90th models came out in 98 (when it was the Ibanez 90th anniversary) so it kinda make sense that it's old a bit.
Although it looks brand new. Where did you get that really?
(And where is the toplok, truss cover and the retainer?)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

THX for the compliments guys she really is a stunning guitar!

As Nesi said this model is an older one ('97) so you won't find it on Ibanez's site. I think J Customs have really become boring guitars nowadays, this is my third one and oldest model and it's the first one that has really impressed me as a "superior" instrument. As for finding one of these, I've only known of the existence of 3 of them (there ARE more but I have no idea where they are): one is mine, the other is listed on Ibanezregister.com, and the third one is currently for sale in the Jemsite classified section! The price is a bold one but I'll recommend this guitar to anyone on this forum anytime. Someone please buy that thing!

It seems that here in Europe (Italy in particular) there are some models floating around that are extremely hard to find in other places like the States. Last year I missed a few other interesting axes because I simply didn't have the money to afford them at the time but I'm glad this one came at the right time.

In the meantime I've uploaded a video of me playing some random stuff. She's plugged into a Triaxis and into my PC (I still have to get a decent cab) but her tone is already beautiful. I'd like to see any rosewood board intrument get such nice clean sounds. Sounds almost like an acoustic...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rovisation.flv

Enjoy!!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesi View Post
Although it looks brand new. Where did you get that really?
(And where is the toplok, truss cover and the retainer?)
Forgot to mention it. The Lo-Pro is blocked by two wooden pieces on the back and I believe that must be adding to the tone cuz I just can't believe a tremmed guitar can have so much resonance. That's why the nut-locks have been removed as well as the string retainer bar and the truss rod cover. Of course, I have everything in the case but for the moment I prefer it this way. I'm afraid that if I unblock the trem I will lose the tone. I can't allow that!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:22 PM

Well, mostly I'd say don't buy a whammy if you're going to block it. But this case is different

Why removing the truss rod cover though?
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 PM

i agree that they do need to make the j-customs alot more exciting than they are. I mean i remember in the last three years most of the j-customs have been rather boring. The only 1 that has appeared different and has gt me quite aroused is the RG8320, that guitar is sweet.

I really think Ibanez need to be alot more creative when is comes to J-customs. After all they are special guitars. They are not available to every person who wants one. They should let their creativity run wild and try out new stuff with the cutting edge technology that is available today. Like a guitar with a built in mobile phone...lol (only joking) but you get my point.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 06:18 PM

Oh yea by the way what you played is soooooo awesome. Your tone is really quite nice. What gear where u running in through?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 06:28 PM

Congrats. Nice guitar. Reminds me of JEM90HAM.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueShredder View Post
Congrats. Nice guitar. Reminds me of JEM90HAM.
I am really quite certain that it's the other way around

It was out a year before the Jem90HAM so it would be like saying my parents resemble me, or so to speak
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 07:29 PM

i have also a ibanez j custom rg metal....so nice....the best there is...
and i dont know how to post a picture here...tell me!
greetz

Tags
bass response , beautiful guitar , ebony board , electric guitar , ibanez guitars , monkey grip , retainer bar , rosewood board , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , truss cover , truss rod , truss rod cover , wizard neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode