my new guitar project! check it out! suggestions welcome - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

my new guitar project! check it out! suggestions welcome

hey everyone, i have a cool little project here. I have this squire strat, which i just found out is alder, not plywood lol! so anyways i am thinking about turning it into a nice guitar. for starters, with the neck i just scalloped it, it turned out awesome!. so i have a good neck now. I am going to buy a nice set of pickups, maybe texas specials. then i will get a nice cool mint green pickguard, (aged) and maybe if i have anything left in my budget, a new trem hehe. and then to top it off, a nice Fender Stratocaster decal from ebay, sand off the Squire decal, hehe who will notice?

ok so suggestions comments welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 03:16 AM
Fry

What color is the body? You should also pick up some decent tuners. Squire tuners absolutely suck. Throw in a brass nut too, it will give it a little different sound.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

yea i forgot, tuners also

it is black, with alot of stickers. im thinking about either a sunburst, olympic white, or maybe a green meanie finish
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 03:40 PM

Just an FYI.

By the time you get good electronics/hardware/finish on it, you could have bought a nice used Ibanez 421 and had extra's to buy mods(They go for under 250)

I know, I have one. Plus the Squires ave very narrow fretboards and crappy frets, which is really just not good for much.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timanator
Just an FYI.

By the time you get good electronics/hardware/finish on it, you could have bought a nice used Ibanez 421 and had extra's to buy mods(They go for under 250)

I know, I have one. Plus the Squires ave very narrow fretboards and crappy frets, which is really just not good for much.
That's nice, but all opinion. I love my Squier, feels great to me

I look forward to pics/reports on your modification process
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:22 AM
Fry

How about a material finish like a dbk has? It would definitely set yours apart from other guitars.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:23 AM
Fry

Wait, I don't know if a dbk is considered a material finish, or some other type of finish?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 05:06 PM

Its not a material finish. The floral patterns have material finishes.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Fry

Is it just considered a really crappy paintjob?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

well- at first i was thinking about just getting a new guitar, but i figured i dont need ANOTHER guitar, (unless it was a 777LNG ) and i have always wanted to slap together a custom guitar. so i think this will work for me.

pickups - 125 on ebay
pickguard - under 20 on warmoth
tuners - 40 on ebay

it wont come out to more than 250 at most.

by the way, i am applying a sanding sealer right now, then im going to sand with 320 grit, and apply another coat, sand again. what do I use to finish the neck with?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Fry

Tung oil?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 08:19 PM

I would advise NOT putting in Texas Specials. They are ok pups, but not great and as with most single coils are very noisy. I pulled them out of my strat and replaced them with Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pups. I have a Heavy Blues in the Neck, a '54 in the middle and a Solo in the bridge. They sound much better and are dead quiet, AND THEY STILL SOUND LIKE SINGLE COILS.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 06:09 AM

If noiseless is your way to go, Kinman pups RULE.www.kinman.com

Strats are fun to mess around with. Last weekend I put together one for myself. Alder body with orange stain & beewax finish, black pickguard, white Duncan SSL-3 and 2x SSL-5 pups, all maple Warmoth neck w/med jumbo frets, TBX tone control... it still needs a bit of setup work, but rings like a bell!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 02:54 PM

Project guitars are fun, it was a good idea for yoy to buy a squire because I would try to scallope frets on a dcent guitar either.

Tags
alder body , black pickguard , custom guitar , fender strat , fender stratocaster , jumbo frets , olympic white , squire strat , tung oil , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode