My New Ibanez RG370DX with Edge III - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Cool My New Ibanez RG370DX with Edge III

Hello all! This is my first time posting a thread here (and I hope I'm posting it in the right place) and I wanted to talk about my first Ibanez guitar.....the RG370DX. I got it last thursday and I'd have to say that I'm quite in love with it. When I got it, it had a few minor problems: it had some fret buzz on the bass strings and it just didn't sound very good. So, I took it to my local guitar shop which I hang around frequently and a guy in there fixed the fret buzz with a small turn of the truss rod and then fixed the sound issue by showing me the effects of adjusting the pickup height. So after I fine tuned the height exactly where I wanted it, I was pretty pleased with the tone.

But the big happy point for me is the Edge III. It worked perfectly right out the box with no adjustment at all and it holds its tuning even when I've gotten quite vai-olent with it. The only thing that may become an issue is the bar. When I first put the bar in, it stayed in position perfectly. But everytime I take the bar out and put it back on it fits more and more loosely. Of course, it says in the little booklet it comes with that you can adjust the tension on the bar so i'm not really too worried about that. I just don't get why so many people on this website have said that these things don't hold their tuning. I've been beating the crap out of this thing for 2 days straight and I've not re-tuned yet.

But quite possibly the coolest thing about this guitar is that it just looks damn sexy! I got quite a few looks at the guitar shop yesterday (and all of them weren't even from guys ). The only mods that I'm thinking about making in the future are the adding of some decals to the body to really set it off and then maybe a pickup change. I was already thinking about getting a Tone Zone for the bridge....and after hearing JimmyJ's sound sample that's definitely what I want. But for the neck and the mid I'm still kind of debating it. His sound sample of the PAF Pro was just freakin' awesome, but I've also heard good things about the Humbucker from Hell. If only someone would post a sound sample of THAT. And for the middle pickup, I was thinking about getting a Cruiser because it's not super low power, it's hum-cancelling, and it has a good sound to it. I don't know how well it'll work in combination with the other two humbuckers though. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 03:51 PM

Re: My New Ibanez RG370DX with Edge III

Congratz dude! It's nice to hear that the Edge Pro III works so well.

Regards

André

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, man. Yeah, I love it! And it's sooo much prettier than the OFR or even the Edge Pros (and let's face it...we ALL want our guitars to look good AND sound good).
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 03:25 AM

congrats dude !!
can anyone tell me wats with this EDGE III ?
better than lo pro or a replacement for LO-TRS II ?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 06:21 AM

Same league as the Edge Pro 2 (korean axes), but shaped like the original Edge...

I still wanna see good pics of one
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Never used a Lo-Pro Edge so I can't speak for that, but it's definitely better than the Lo-TRS II. I know that if you go to the USA Ibanez website, you can download this year's catalog and there's a good picture of it in there (page 86 if i'm not mistaken).

I'd say that it's every bit the equal of an Egde Pro II. As I've said, I've been quite Vai-olent with mine and I haven't had to retune it since like friday....and that was only because I needed to stretch the strings. I'm just happy it came setup properly because I really didn't want to have to pay someone to do that.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 10:23 PM

I got the same guitar about a month ago ... its wicked, my first ibanez or guitar w/ floating bridge.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 10:34 PM

i bought an edgeIII equipped rg320fm a couple of weeks ago. bridge works fine. i also have an edgeproII equipped rgt. where the III loses points with me is the string lock blocks which fall out when you're changing strings.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 10:42 PM

^^? is your 04/older model then the 05's the 05's are amazing, no problems with it.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 05:35 AM

Reviews: 1

congrats lyconxero!
i'm also interested in that axe
does it have AANJ?
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Wow, someone resurrected my old thread. All current Ibanez RGs have the AANJ. Also, I've changed the strings twice on the guitar since I've had it and I've not had any problems with anything falling off of it. The only thing that's bothering me now about the guitar is that, although you can adjust the tension on the whammy bar, they don't give you the right size allen wrench to do so. A minor annoyance, but still an annoyance. Right now, I'm thinking about putting some EMGs into it (white ones preferably if I can find them so that it'll match with the sharktooth inlays.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Reviews: 1

man! u are reading my ideas hehe
i also wan to buy rg350 and install EMGs on it. but another way it to install SDs + susteiner, what do u think?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

I'm not a big fan of Duncan pickups but if that's what you like then go for it. I mostly play metal and hard rock with this guitar so EMGs will suit the sound that I want perfectly.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:41 PM

Get dimarzio pickups
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Someone has brought this thread back again.....very interesting. I was going to get Dimarzio pickups but after comparing them with EMGs there's just no comparison. EMGs give me the kind of tone that I've been looking for (since I play mostly hard rock/metal/classical with this guitar). I'll probably put Dimarzios in my next Ibanez guitar, though (which is looking to be a RG321).

Tags
allen wrench , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , duncan pickups , edge pro iii , edge pros , fret buzz , guitar shop , heavy metal , inf pickups , jackson guitars , local guitar shop , paf pro , pickup height , pickup switch , powersound pickups , pro edge , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , string lock , tone zone , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode