My NEW J-Custom. Booya… Oh and a tech question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

My NEW J-Custom. Booya… Oh and a tech question

Just taken delivery of a brand new RG8670TV J-Custom. My God it's beautiful, spent most of last night just running my hands over it, saying, "Look how well made it is". Will try and get some pics up later if I can work out how to do it - bit of a dullard with this forum thing, guess there's an FAQ somewhere. I really cannot believe it, the thing sings, the sustain is incredible, even when it's unplugged notes just go on and on forever. Fantastic.

Anyway on to the tech (ish) question. When I took it out of the case the action was about right for me and the trem was parallel with the body (just like it should be I think). It also sounded reasonably in tune. However, when I plugged it into the tuner it was pretty flat so I loosened the string pads and tuned it with the tuners, locked the strings back down and then fine tuned it at the bridge. But now the trem's raised a little and the action over the higher frets, ie 12th and beyond, has got a bit high. Nothing stupid but a little less comfortable.

I've read Rich's tech section on the trem angle (thanks Rich). Would I be right in thinking that if I tighten the screws round the back (note my use of tech language here) a quarter turn or so then the trem would return to parallel and it'd be OK? I only ask because I tried the same thing on my RG470 and ended up with strings choking and fret buzz and all kinds of crazy stuff going wrong. And I don't want to start something I can't finish and end up with a COMPLETELY unplayable guitar that I then have to get a full set-up on.

Also, the middle pick up (Blue Velvet) has one of the pole pieces sticking up much further than the rest of them. Is that normal for pick ups or does something need to be done? It's not affecting the tuning or anything, it just looks a bit odd. I find it quite sad that I've been playing guitar for almost 13 years, 10 of those with a Floyd-equipped ax, and I still can't perform the most basic of set-ups. Does anyone know of a good basic luthier/set up course that you can go on?

If you're wondering I bought it mail order 'cos I could get it £120 cheaper than from a shop near where I work. I figure if I have to spend £50-£60 on a decent set up I'm still in the black. Any help would be much appreciated.

God I love this guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Urrggh! 13th post get out!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 03:48 PM

Pics plz!!!! Congrats on the new guitar there beautiful definitely a keeper!!! :P
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

OK I've fixed the action problem. Just screwed the trem thingy in a bit until it all lined up - perfect tuning, great low action. Would still appreciate a little help on the pickup query though (pole piece sticking up) as it's getting in the way of my picking. I could judt lower the pickup I suppose, they do sound a bit angry!

On the pictures front, I tried finding an FAQ on the subject but couldn't. I don't have a link to a website or anything, can I just drag pictures from my desktop into here - I'll make sure they're pretty small. Are there any rules for this?

Thanks
Dom
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Me again! Don't panic, I think I've found a solution. Will post pix after the weekend as I'm away until then. Thank you for your patience. I may just stop posting tripe now.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 05:46 AM

i've got one too. It's normal for the poles on the blue velvet to be at different heights from each other. You'll see that on many single coils, especially those made by Dimarzio. I bet its the middle poles that are highest. If they are affecting you're picking then the pup must be way too high.

FYI, i ripped out the AN and TZ and replaced with PAF Pro and FRED.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 01:24 AM

they are called staggered pickups, and yes it is totally normal and they are designed that way (string volume balance)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 11:53 AM

I've got one too, It arrived two days ago, and I'm in love.... my blue velvet poles are all flat except for one, I foudn that odd, as most single coils have different pole heights etc. It sounds grat though.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Cheers artificial infection. Just been looking at the pics of yours, it is a beautiful machine. Sorted my pickup probs out now, and the action… plays like a dream as well. I absolutely love it. I will definitely post some pictures soon, as promised weeks ago. I don't know about you but I feel I can play better now, that sounds weird but I swear it's the truth.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 08:17 PM

Yes it is a beauty, I'm nto sure about playing better but I can feel the difference, and it does feel really nice... what colour and where did you get yours from?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 09:28 PM

Wow, nice beast ! My ignorance shows again, I didn't even know there were other Ibanez guitars with a vine inlay than the JEMs

I am sure it must be top notch ... congrats
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 07:13 AM

Your killing me bro we need some pics!!!! :P
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 04:38 PM

You can have a look at this :

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/guitar.../rg8670tv.html

Nice beast heh ? Looks way better than a VSBL IMO.

Tags
fret buzz , ibanez guitars , paf pro , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode