My new RG1570 impressions/questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

My new RG1570 impressions/questions

Greetings all; first time poster. Anyway, I just received a new RG1570 in grey-nickel via mail order. It looks great. I do have some questions and I figured this would be the perfect place to find some answers.

1. I took off the neck and it is stamped RG1620X-05. I assume the RG1620X model uses the same neck as the RG1570. Should I be concerned about this? What is the 05 designation? The neck pocket of the body is stamped RG157005.

2. I removed the brass shims from under the nut. This improved the action a bit without any buzzing issues on open strings. I'm not really sure why they were used in the first place.

3. I'm used to adjusting the truss rod such that there is little to no bow in the neck. However, I've read here that a little bow really helps these guitars with buzzing issues. What are the pros and cons of a straight neck versus one with a little bit of bow?

4. I love the new tremelo system and am having no tuning issues at all, even with aggressive use.

5. The back of the neck had a couple of rough areas that I smoothed out with steel wool. There is also a small divot in the fretboard next to one of the inlayed fret markers. These issues are really no big deal, but I expected a perfect neck after hearing all the Prestige hype.

All in all it will be a nice axe once I get the setup right (I'm using 10-46 strings tuned a half step down from standard). I appreciate any and all input/advice you can give related to my questions above.

Thanks!

Morris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:48 PM

Re: My new RG1570 impressions/questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by momitch
Greetings all; first time poster. Anyway, I just received a new RG1570 in grey-nickel via mail order. It looks great. I do have some questions and I figured this would be the perfect place to find some answers.

1. I took off the neck and it is stamped RG1620X-05. I assume the RG1620X model uses the same neck as the RG1570. Should I be concerned about this? What is the 05 designation? The neck pocket of the body is stamped RG157005.
My guess would be they have started to stamp for 2005 series guitars. Not to worrie.

Quote:
2. I removed the brass shims from under the nut. This improved the action a bit without any buzzing issues on open strings. I'm not really sure why they were used in the first place.

3. I'm used to adjusting the truss rod such that there is little to no bow in the neck. However, I've read here that a little bow really helps these guitars with buzzing issues. What are the pros and cons of a straight neck versus one with a little bit of bow?
The shims are used to prevent buzzing from the first five or so frets. Truss rod adjustments typicaly do not help this area.

Quote:
4. I love the new tremelo system and am having no tuning issues at all, even with aggressive use.
Go easy on the new posts...they don't have the lock in them like the old ones. There is the possibility of the post holes rounding out over time.

Quote:
5. The back of the neck had a couple of rough areas that I smoothed out with steel wool. There is also a small divot in the fretboard next to one of the inlayed fret markers. These issues are really no big deal, but I expected a perfect neck after hearing all the Prestige hype.
Remember, these guitars are almost always shipped in a box, not a case. It may have even been shipped to you in a box instead of a case. Overseas shipping is sketchey at best.

Quote:
All in all it will be a nice axe once I get the setup right (I'm using 10-46 strings tuned a half step down from standard). I appreciate any and all input/advice you can give related to my questions above.

Thanks!

Morris
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Vendor

If you've got no first fret buzz then your nut is still to high

Neck relief has alot to do with how the first 5 play, as well as the middle board.

You'll find lots of paint pimples on the back of necks, I spend alot of time shaving them off with a razor blade.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Rich,

Is it normal for this guitar to have a neck stamped RG1620X, even though the guitar is actually an RG1570?

The nut is still too high without the shims, but it's not way off. It seems to be pretty close to perfect on the treble string side. Is filing the slot down a bit a major undertaking? I hope to one day get this guitar as close to perfect as possible without the use of shims under the nut or neck.

Something about the use of shims to make a guitar set-up properly just bugs me, as it should be designed well enough such that their use is really unnecessary. It makes it seem like a rig job.

Maybe there's medication for this condition. :-)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Morris
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 01:36 AM
Vendor

The necks are the same spec, run out of one and grab another. I'm surprised the 1620's don't just have 1570necks on them

With guitar setups one size doesn't fit all. Shims will always be a necessity to accomodate the myriad of setup differences.

Grind the base of the nut is the easiest cure.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 02:34 PM

Just to add to wha has already been explained, there are lots of ways to set up a guitar. You can set the neck dead straight if the fretwork allows for it.If the fretwork isn't so great, then you will never get away with straightneing the neck all the way

If you have a gret luthier, you can get away with extra low action after he has leveled the frets accordingly.I bought a RG2020x from Ibanez Rules and the action was very good because that particular guitar was built well.But I always leave a little bow in the neck.I never straighten it completely

Tags
fret buzz , fret markers , neck relief , rod adjustment , steel wool , straight neck , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , truss rod adjustments

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode