Ibanez JEM Forum banner

My new toy - EBMM AXIS EX

5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  fettouhi 
#1 ·
Well.. It's been too long since my last guitar purchase and I wanted something different. Since my recent divorce I needed something else to fill the void so I found myself another mistress to add to my harem. (ok.. any excuse to buy a new guitar is a good excuse for me)

Ernie Ball Axis EX (Basically the old EBMM EVH without the EVH logo)

It was a toss up between this and an Axis Super Sport but I didn't feel like flying across the country to buy the Axis Super Sport that I wanted. This EBMM Axis EX is just like the Ibanez J-Customs in the sense that you can only get them in Japan. EVH would probably try to sue the **** out of EBMM for replicating his old signature model to the tee if this was sold in North America.

See less See more
#12 ·
The Goth floyd ain't bad actually. I had some initial tuning issues with this guitar but I fixed it all after a several hours of setting the damn thing up. There's an allen screw on the side to adjust the amount of tension on the trem arm on it that I think is pretty cool.

Initially I wasn't too into this guitar as it didn't have the vibe I was looking for, but that all changed after I installed an ESP Arming Adjuster in this one. I know it sounds silly to install a trem stabilizer on this guitar since the trem sits level with the top, but the Arming Adjuster just added so much more resonance to the guitar. (I was about to sell it 2 days after I got it)

If you need a replacement trem, I don't see anything wrong with the Gotoh Floyd.

#13 ·
Man that top is just hypnotic. Insane figuring dude! I keep coming back to this thread just to look at your axe.

Did you find this model in the States or in Japan? Cuz I've never seen one of these EX's before. I really dig the placement of the pup switch over the standard Axis one.

#14 ·
The Axis EX is only available in Japan. It's essentially what the Axis was supposed to be, the EBMM EVH without the EVH logo. This model is assembled in Japan using US parts to avoid lawsuits with you know who. Spec and feature wise it's identical to the EMBB EVH just cheaper.

The pup switch here is a lot better than the one on the standard Axis. The three reasons why I went with the Axis EX was the switch, the top and the fact that it's not available here.

I should also mention that the top on this one is a one piece quilted maple top so there's no book matching. Just one big piece of quilted maple... gotta love it.

#16 ·
OP: Actually, thats not an axis you bought, thats the EVH Signature as with the axis, the pickup switch is under the volume knob.

I heard that if you get your neck repaired on a EBMM EVH model, they put an axis neck on there instead of a EVH Neck... Don't know why.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.