My Next RG Prestige EDGE or EDGE Zero Bridge? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Smile My Next RG Prestige EDGE or EDGE Zero Bridge?

Hello All,

Does anyone has experience with both the EDGE and the EDGE Zero Tremolo?

I was considering purchasing a RG655 Prestige but it looks like no reseller has it yet in Brazil so I was offered a RG3550 MZ.

Checking the specs it looks like the trem is the big difference. I would like to know if the Zero can produce those distorted sounds "kida motorcycle engine variations" or not because it wouldn't fluctuate enough.

Alternatively I am not the type that would want all the extremes so please tell me your experience about it.

All the best, Beck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:11 AM

Re: My Next RG Prestige EDGE or EDGE Zero Bridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck Nader View Post
Hello All,

I was considering purchasing a RG655 Prestige but it looks like no reseller has it yet in Brazil so I was offered a RG3550 MZ.

Checking the specs it looks like the trem is the big difference. I would like to know if the Zero can produce those distorted sounds "kida motorcycle engine variations" or not because it wouldn't fluctuate enough.

Alternatively I am not the type that would want all the extremes so please tell me your experience about it.

All the best, Beck
Basically the difference between the 3550 and 655 is the bridge and the neck. The 655 is the standard prestige wizard, the 3550 has titanium reinforced neck. Also, iirc, the 3550s neck is slightly thinner as well but I don't remember exactly.

Personally, it really depends on price. I like the EZ, but the ZPS does make the arm stiffer, so you can't do fluttering unless you remove the ZPS. The Edge is an AMAZING bridge. I have both (and a lo pro) and I LOVE the OE and EZ. Both are good.

How much would you get the 3550 for?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Basically the difference between the 3550 and 655 is the bridge and the neck. The 655 is the standard prestige wizard, the 3550 has titanium reinforced neck. Also, iirc, the 3550s neck is slightly thinner as well but I don't remember exactly.

Personally, it really depends on price. I like the EZ, but the ZPS does make the arm stiffer, so you can't do fluttering unless you remove the ZPS. The Edge is an AMAZING bridge. I have both (and a lo pro) and I LOVE the OE and EZ. Both are good.

How much would you get the 3550 for?
The prices here in Brazil are abhor! With taxes it would cost the equivalent of US$ 5,455 more or less!!! Yes, ridiculously high! Many thanks for the reply on the neck and the bridge, I suspected something similar to what you mentioned regarding the EZ with the ZPS.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Sadly, I doubt the 655 will be entering into any new markets. The 655 was Ibanez's reaction to a lawsuit over the ZPS here in the states. The Edge Zero is still Ibanez's go to bridge for the rest of the world.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:03 PM

The Edge zero has a better arm holder and the intonation tool is very nice. Other than that, having both of them, I'd take the edge any time over the cheaper made Edge Zero. It just feels more solid, especially in the area of the saddles.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
The Edge zero has a better arm holder and the intonation tool is very nice. Other than that, having both of them, I'd take the edge any time over the cheaper made Edge Zero. It just feels more solid, especially in the area of the saddles.
That's very interesting coming from you as you've been one of the biggest EZ supporters on the board!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That's very interesting coming from you as you've been one of the biggest EZ supporters on the board!
Let's just say, I had a bad experience very recently, Rich and I have changed my mind on the subject now. I think you pointed this out in the past of the saddles being not of the greatest quality. I found out quickly and lets just leave it at that. While I do like the bar holder system and the ease of adjustment with the thumb screw wheel, there is no match for the stability I have with my edge Pro trems and an ESP arming adjuster. I don't own any Edge Zero guitars any longer (sold my last J Custom) and won't be getting any more. My only 2 Ibby's are my JS autographed 2410 and my SV autographed FP2. Both of those are solid guitars.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 PM
Vendor

You can't leave it at that, we need details!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You can't leave it at that, we need details!!
+1.

My guitars are all newer so I've never had any issues with either the OE or EZ so I'm wondering what all the hate is about
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Hi All,

Very interesting discussion! I thank you very much and sorry for the dealy in getting back.

A friend of mine will travel to the US and he has already reserved a RG655 Prestige for me.

Paying the taxes at the Brazilian Customers is the best option we found pricewise and I will get the Guitar I wanted. It is scheduled to arrive mid-September and I will update you guys on how things went. Cheers, Beck
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Paying the taxes at the Brazilian Customers is the best option we found pricewise and I will get the Guitar I wanted. It is scheduled to arrive mid-September and I will update you guys on how things went. Cheers, Beck
Travellers with hard cases rarely get stopped and taxed. Ask your friend to get a fake invoice stating around US$300 or 400. In case something happens, ask them to say "it's just a strat".
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:41 AM

The only thing I can add to this, is that I've had my RG550 since 1990 and after much trem abuse over the years, the Edge trem still stays perfectly in tune!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 05:49 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Yes, please...
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Hello All,

All the best, Beck
EDGE and EDGE Pro are fantastic bridges - rock solid and made very well. Holds tune well too even after much trem use/abuse LOL. The Zero system offers the nice convenience of having a thumb-adjustable trem spring knob at the back of the guitar to make balancing spring tension vs string tension easier and the arm holder is adjustable which is also a good feature. Play 'em both and see which you like most but, I'd like to have both Both my RG's have EDGE Pro's so maybe the next one will have a Zero system...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
EDGE and EDGE Pro are fantastic bridges - rock solid and made very well. Holds tune well too even after much trem use/abuse LOL. The Zero system offers the nice convenience of having a thumb-adjustable trem spring knob at the back of the guitar to make balancing spring tension vs string tension easier and the arm holder is adjustable which is also a good feature. Play 'em both and see which you like most but, I'd like to have both Both my RG's have EDGE Pro's so maybe the next one will have a Zero system...
The big one of my collection that I'm missing is an Edge Pro equipped guitar. I have Lo pro, OE, EZ and EZ2. TBH they all hold tuning great but the EZ is a little off sometimes (maybe needs a better setup, which is my fault )

Tags
edge , edge zero

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode