my old Rg550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

my old Rg550

Well, all this talk of 550's has gotten me to thinking. See, I've had this old RG550 for a while. I really can't tell how old it is. All I know is that it's from the very early days when they still had the "roadflare red" finishes. This thing was a mother to fix up, it's old and it had old crappy electronics and stuff. This thing now has new wiring, a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge, a Tone Zone in the neck, and a blue velvet. It also has an EMG afterburner in it. All this is great except for the fact that I'm just really not used to this guitar. I bought it for the trem and because it has 24 frets, and because I got it for $330 off of Ebay, but it has a five way switch and I'm just tired of messing with this thing. I'm used to my Schecter which is nice and simple with two humbuckers, a three way, and a hardtail. I'm tired of messing with this thing, but it really does play quite well and has a great sound (especially with that X2N). So what do you guys think this thing is worth? I know I'm not going to get the...what...$500 that I put into this thing fixing it up, but I just sort of want to make some room over here. It's in what you would call "player's condition" as it has numerous scratches and some chips in the paint, but hey, it's got to be 16 years old or so. I'd like to get $400 for it but maybe I could get more on ebay? I don't know. Tell me how much you think it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 06:20 AM

it would go off for about $350, but considering all those quality pickups and electronics, i think you could sell it out for $450-500. what's its serial number?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 05:37 PM

You could probably make more if you put the original pickups back in then sold the guitar and dimarzios separately.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman
You could probably make more if you put the original pickups back in then sold the guitar and dimarzios separately.
Agreed
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

well, there are several down sides to both of those. See, for one, the serial number that would be on the back of the headstock isn't there. It looks as though someone sanded it off (hmm...I wonder if this was stolen at one point or another?). So I can't really date it. As far as the pickups go, when I had the new ones put in I never saw the old ones again, I guess the music store kept them or threw them away. I mean, the things were trashed, I'm surprised they sent any signal whatsoever. So basically it'a a guitar without a serial number, new stuff and no stock stuff, and a scalloped fretboard. That was one of the things that interested me in this actually, it's scalloped just like a Jem. For all intensive purposes, this thing is a Jem, besides the fact that it has different pickups and no monkey grip. It's like it's a faceless guitar. It still looks nice though for having the beat up finish that it does. This thing must have been through Hell and is still kicking. Still kicking well, I might add. I'm just tired of it I guess and I need to make some room. So for the fact that it doesn't have a serial number I may get less, but do you still think I could get like $400-$450?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

OK, after reviewing the catalogs on Rich's site VERY closely, I've come to realize that this thing is a 1988 model. If you look closely at the catalog, the roadflare red was only offered for a few years, and it was only in 1988 that it had a matching headstock. So I know what year it is, but there isn't a headstock number or a plate number because the plate just has the Ibanez logo and right below it it says "Japan". So I know it's a 1988 if that makes any difference whatsoever. It's still not old enough to be considered "vintage" although 80's Jems seem to sell for a lot. This freaking guitar is as old as a lot of my friends are. Kind of freaky there.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 01:37 PM

Praetorian, where in New Mexico are you from?? I'm down in Artesia. Anyways, to the point of the thread, I'd probably pay $3-400 for that guitar personally, especially if it plays as easily as I'd expect a 550 to play.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 03:28 PM

I also have an RG550 in road-flare red, with a matching headstock too.
If I had of seen this post earlier I could have told you it was an '88 model.
Mine only cost me 180, but that was just a lucky find on my part!

I wouldnt have thought it would go for any more than a normal RG550.
Yeah it is a bit more limited, but nothing too special. You may be lucky and get a little bit more for it. But in the UK they go for about 300 maybe 350.

But thats why the RG550 is soooo good, cos for they money they are very hard to beat.

Gary - The.Godfather
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 12:44 AM

If you give me the guitar Ill give you a Jesse Dyvig Autograph
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Hey Fretfire, I'm in Albuquerque. Never been to Artesia actually...but I'm going to be in Illinois soon and then Connecticut, so New Mexico will be a thing of the past for me. Anyway, I sort of thought I'd get about average price for this thing. That's fine for me actually...I just want something for it. I'm going to save up for a Jackson SL1, so I need the money. Or a neckthrough RG, one of the two...but before I do anything I'm going to wait for that darned chrome JEM to come out just in case I can't live without it when it does. But yeah, thanks for the help.

Tags
chrome jem , monkey grip , music store , scalloped fretboard , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode