My PGM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
My PGM

A while back i changed from the Mesa Rectifier to the Laney GH because my PGM sounded really thin with the Mesa. Anyway, since using the Laney, i have found loads of great Tones for my PGM that really seem much better than anything the Mesa could do.

So......i made a load of Vids of the differant Tones i found and i though it might be interesting to you guys because you all love Ibanez like me.

Check out my Page
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=paulbateman

Comments are all welcome but its more about what can be done with a Ibanez and Laney than me my playing.

Thankyou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 01:09 PM

Re: My PGM

Hell, yeah, dude. I myself have a GH50L. It's a killer. Great tone, and good singing. I enjoyed your rendition of Little Wing.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Laneys are so well suited to Ibanez guitars.

Have you by any chance played on a TT series Laney?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 11:31 PM

lol There are no Laney dealers in the States. I've never heard of any other models, sadly.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Zox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummy View Post
lol There are no Laney dealers in the States. I've never heard of any other models, sadly.
Well, there's always evilbay..
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

I'm in england and still dont know any Laney dealers that stock the Heads.
I want to hear the TT50. I have heard its like the GH but with two extra channels
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 03:11 PM

Yeah I agree, you have to search far and wide for Laney dealers, and even then they usually have the beginner series amps.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates View Post
I'm in england and still dont know any Laney dealers that stock the Heads.
I want to hear the TT50. I have heard its like the GH but with two extra channels
I heard the same about the VH100R. The GH series is the gain channel of the VH100R, but the TT very well could be configured the same way.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zox View Post
Well, there's always evilbay..
That's where I got mine.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 08:34 PM

Hey, great playing man!
The sound is good too.

Witch is a bit surprising to me, I normally hate Laney amps, one of the worst brands there is.

/Magnus
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
Hey, great playing man!
The sound is good too.

Witch is a bit surprising to me, I normally hate Laney amps, one of the worst brands there is.

/Magnus
You can't have tried the VH or TT then?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 03:59 AM

Cool video!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
You can't have tried the VH or TT then?
I have tried TT a bit and VH a lot and I donít like any of them.
I just donít like the sort of sound they have, fuzzy, sharp and unpleasant treble response. They are about as wrong as it can get for my own sound and I generally donít like the sound that people playing them have either.

It is NOT saying that they are bad amps, just that they are amps that donít sound good to my ears. The best Laney I have tried was an old transistor thing, a small practice amp.

/Magnus
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Yeah. The treble is set too high at the halfway point. The trick seems to be to turn the treble down around 3 and find a balance between the Drive and Gain.

Those Videos were around about

Presence - 4
Bass - 4
Middle - 4 1/2
Treble - 3
Gain - 8
Drive - 7

Paul Gilbert uses pretty much the same EQ on his but he has the Drive back at 4 and the gain full whack, which is a ok Tone for stuff like Scarified and Technical Difficultys but not full enough or round for Vai and Satch stuff.

The main thing is the way they react to Ibanez. If i use a washburn it sounds not even half as good. The Ibanez sig models seem to have a more independant voice than other guitars i have played
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates View Post
Yeah. The treble is set too high at the halfway point. The trick seems to be to turn the treble down around 3 and find a balance between the Drive and Gain.

Those Videos were around about

Presence - 4
Bass - 4
Middle - 4 1/2
Treble - 3
Gain - 8
Drive - 7

Paul Gilbert uses pretty much the same EQ on his but he has the Drive back at 4 and the gain full whack, which is a ok Tone for stuff like Scarified and Technical Difficultys but not full enough or round for Vai and Satch stuff.

The main thing is the way they react to Ibanez. If i use a washburn it sounds not even half as good. The Ibanez sig models seem to have a more independant voice than other guitars i have played
Yeah, the treble is set too high, I agree.
But I donít like the overall distortion character of it, even if I would turn the treble to zero.
So it is not a setup thing, really, it is more that I donít really like the sound they have.

I agree on you with that Paul sound works for music like that, were it really has to be clear for everything not to turn much. But I donít like his sound, at all.

Maybe they react better to Ibanez? But then Iím really lucky I didnít try it with other guitars :-)

But like I said before, it is not bad amps, it is just that I donít like them.
I donít like Marshall either, but loads of people do.

/Magnus

Tags
amp settings , ibanez guitars , mesa rectifier , paul gilbert , pedal board , practice amp , rosewood board , string skipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode